Really quiet subs..

Just picked up 10/22 in 22lr expressly for being as quiet as possible due to proximity to stables and shouty Jemima/Henrietta types..

And suggestions what to feed it with? I know not everyone will agree but hopefully there will be a popular choice.

As long as you put a decent silencer on, it makes very little odds what subsonic ammo you use, far more important to make sure you use the one that's accurate, unfortunately when it comes to semi automatics such as the Ruger the action opening and closing will mean it's never going to be as quiet as a bolt action. 

They can also be very fussy and troublesome with some waxed ammo, my own Remington auto thrives on CCI's and almost never misfeeds.

Putting a polyurethane buffer pin in makes the 10/22 much quieter cycling but, in my experience it’s a very delicate balance for ammo to be slow enough to be sub-sonic and still provide enough energy to cycle the action. Good luck trying them out to find the best for your rifle. 

CCI quiets are indeed quiet. Not enough poke to cycle a semi-auto and you can see them falling out of the air beyond 50 yards. Eleys are accurate, but gum the mechanism up quickly. CCI subs seem to work best in mine. 

On 28/07/2018 at 21:38, walshie said:

CCI quiets are indeed quiet. Not enough poke to cycle a semi-auto and you can see them falling out of the air beyond 50 yards. Eleys are accurate, but gum the mechanism up quickly. CCI subs seem to work best in mine. 

CCi subs seem to work well in all my .22s, its my 'go to' round.

Edited by Rewulf

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

When I owned a Ruger 10/22, I used Winchester Super X subsonics, but cleaned the wax off the bullets first. Very rarely did I get a jam, maybe 1 out of 15 rounds.

That's not rare ?  I get about 1 every 200-300 rounds and that's using a mixture of stuff, CCi's can go better than that even. In the last month I must have fired around 6-700 rounds mainly for practice and getting rid of some Winchesters which I don't find accurate enough, also got through some T22 solids and had 2  Winchester ftf's both of which the rim was struck but the round wouldn't fire. 

26 minutes ago, Hamster said:

That's not rare ?  I get about 1 every 200-300 rounds and that's using a mixture of stuff, CCi's can go better than that even. In the last month I must have fired around 6-700 rounds mainly for practice and getting rid of some Winchesters which I don't find accurate enough, also got through some T22 solids and had 2  Winchester ftf's both of which the rim was struck but the round wouldn't fire. 

I changed the ejector spring/claw in mine and fitted a Volquartsen, which was better for ejecting the cases.

A mixture of opinion would always be the result, simply what people use or can access!

The noise difference will be difficult/impossible to tell with the ear on subs, and as already mentioned, any half decent sound moderator will help to.

Just picked up 10/22 in 22lr expressly for being as quiet as possible   ……. you should have got a BA then, noise is generated by the action and gases ejected from the port of a semi.  A Bolt Action is quieter!

:good: