Jump to content
Salopian

Removing plastic fouling from shotgun barrels

    Recommended Posts

    Ideas and cleaning regime for removing plastic wad fouling from barrel bores . Apart from neat acetone and a bronze brush in battery drill machine  do you have any good ideas ?

    What is your successful method?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    There is a recent ‘cleaning shotguns’ thread in the Guns and Equipment section if you haven’t already seen it. 

    Cant seem to copy/paste on phone. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Pour boiling water down the barrel. Just make sure it’s dried and oiled properly after. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    If it's near the chamber then get a chamber brush. That will fetch it out easily. Any gun oil or wd40 will get rid as well. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I tried all sorts to clean it out of my gun barrels. Every cleaner I had along with neat solvents. Boiling hot water as I'd shot black powder carts so scrubbed with soapy boiling water. Still had plastic fouling. In the end brush in drill cleaned in seconds to a sparkling finish.

    Ed's red works due to having acetone in it.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Figgy , I have to agree , most commercial solvents available are actually useless at removing plastic , yet to find a good one hence my reason for starting the thread . Already had one set of scrap barrels due to pitting from moisture under the plastic.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, figgy said:

    I tried all sorts to clean it out of my gun barrels. Every cleaner I had along with neat solvents. Boiling hot water as I'd shot black powder carts so scrubbed with soapy boiling water. Still had plastic fouling. In the end brush in drill cleaned in seconds to a sparkling finish.

    Ed's red works due to having acetone in it.

    Yes it does, but the OP wanted a means of removing plastic fouling, without using NEAT acetone! Eds red is not neat acetone....and it works! Lol!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Salopian said:

    Figgy , I have to agree , most commercial solvents available are actually useless at removing plastic , yet to find a good one hence my reason for starting the thread . Already had one set of scrap barrels due to pitting from moisture under the plastic.

     

    That's the worrying thing with barrels that are not chromed. 

    If you find a product post it up, would good to have. I use cleanzoil for all my main gun cleaning and wiling over the barrels. Only use other products now to remove carbon on the semi auto.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Clean when barrels are still hot if using plastic and that can shift it. Alternatively, switch to fibre and after running a few down the barrels it'll clean up. I never use plastic even on clays just to avoid the fouling issue. There's not much price difference now anyway. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    No different to the Napier mega mop with whatever brush or mop you want to screw on the end..

    I just use a wooden rod and a standard bronze brush in my drill. Cheap enough to replace often as required.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, panoma1 said:

    Yes it does, but the OP wanted a means of removing plastic fouling, without using NEAT acetone! Eds red is not neat acetone....and it works! Lol!

    Is there any reason not to use neat acetone?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Mighty Ruler said:

    Is there any reason not to use neat acetone?

    Best direct that question to the OP! He was the one who posted that he wanted an alternative to using neat acetone! 🤔

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    panoma1,

    Please keep up .

    I asked for any good ideas for removing plastic fouling from the shotgun barrels bores and forcing cones apart from neat acetone ( which I know works) .

    I really would like to know if anyone has found a successful method to remove plastic fouling.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, Salopian said:

    panoma1,

    Please keep up .

    I asked for any good ideas for removing plastic fouling from the shotgun barrels bores and forcing cones apart from neat acetone ( which I know works) .

    I really would like to know if anyone has found a successful method to remove plastic fouling.

    Salopian, how am I lagging behind? Lol! I answered your question! Eds Red!..............and referred mighty ruler to yourself, for an answer as to why you asked for a method, that didn't employ using neat acetone and a phosphor bronze brush in a battery drill!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Although I haven't used plastic wads for years the best way i have found of removing it was Sweet's 7.62 solvent. It is quite strong and ammonia based so it stinks and must not be left on for more than about 10 minutes.

    I used to soak a PB brush in it, scrub the barrels for a few strokes and then leave for a few minutes. Then swab it out with patches around a jag. Repeat if necessary but 9/10 time it won't be

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×