Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ditchman

strange foods

Recommended Posts

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopes...never heard of it, but I am a bit faddy about eggs

 

my latest mission is to find the name of the weird cracker type sandwich biscuit combination with a strange cheese like filling available from vending machines and usually bought after swimming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

deviled egg sort of thing? sounds rank although I bet bet they were tasty to the more discerning palate.

9 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Hopes...never heard of it, but I am a bit faddy about eggs

 

my latest mission is to find the name of the weird cracker type sandwich biscuit combination with a strange cheese like filling available from vending machines and usually bought after swimming

tuc cheese sandwich.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254925496

beaten to the Tuc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

Had egg curry many a time but never a cheesy version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

These?

 

41oJ+f8JHHL.jpg

Nope

they were circular, with a sort of cheesesque filling similar to what you get inside those savoury Xmas football things

and whilst I'm on a mission...back in the 60s , does anyone remember a packet of savoury mix called Fivers?

contained 5 different savouries all mixed up

crisps

peanuts

chippito type things

twiglets

small savoury mini waffle type things

 

i am beginning to think I have made it up. My mother who is 88 remembers them though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

You must have went to a posh school to be served up boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce , all we ever had was a plate full of cabbage with little bits of meat underneath that you could never find , for afters , it looked like a dish of thick wall paper paste , a dish of pink plaster or some other rubbish that looked like frogs spawn , and that was on a good day when the school inspector was paying a visit , you would know the school in the market place , it is called the Hospital School , no doubt called that for a very good reason :no:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sounds ĺike your school cook was an individualist.

My dear old Grandma, who was a Sheffield school cook in the 1920's used to serve up a pudding to us kids, consisting of fresh orange segments and desiccated coconut, all drowned in custard.

She swore that the schoolkids that she fed used to love it. We grandchildren remained to be convinced

Edited by amateur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chairman said:

Was it these as that's what we used to get

chairman

image.jpeg

No,sorry...not those

 

my quest continues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ditchman said:

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

Regular meal with my grandmother hard boiled eggs in white sauce with mashed spuds.

 

Blackpowder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Regular meal with my grandmother hard boiled eggs in white sauce with mashed spuds.

 

Blackpowder

 

YEAH .I COULD GO WITH THAT...:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curry and  egg  makes a smashing  sandwich

a good bulker up in a curry  5 sticks of Rhubarb  its sweet and sour   vegie curry  chuck it in

Banana still tastes of banana  even in a curry or chlli

Throw anything  in         make enough for two meals  nuke the second helping

not tried Jeruslem artichokes in one yet     super raw in a salad just like water chestnuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dogsnott said:

Curry and  egg  makes a smashing  sandwich

a good bulker up in a curry  5 sticks of Rhubarb  its sweet and sour   vegie curry  chuck it in

Banana still tastes of banana  even in a curry or chlli

Throw anything  in         make enough for two meals  nuke the second helping

not tried Jeruslem artichokes in one yet     super raw in a salad just like water chestnuts

must admit in my pre gluten days i loved a cold curry sandwich.........:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My school dinners weren't up to much really. I remember one meal was some form of meat with cabbage. The dinner lady asked me why I wasn't eating it. I told her (bearing in mind I was about 10) that it resembled the scene in alien when the android was cut in half and his lungs were hanging out and I'd rather not. She turned white and muttered something before disappearing. 

And that God awful dessert that looked like frog spawn but tasted less appealing. Nasty. 

Nothing wrong with a curried egg though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lots of snacks were regional and made in Iocal food factories.

The ones your looking for Diver could have been regional to your area.

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2019 at 19:35, dogsnott said:

 

not tried Jeruslem artichokes in one yet     super raw in a salad just like water chestnuts

Really? Doesn't that make the effects even worse? We roast some then get bored. This year's crop mostly went in the bin. The only vegetable I can reliably grow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GingerCat said:

My school dinners weren't up to much really. I remember one meal was some form of meat with cabbage. The dinner lady asked me why I wasn't eating it. I told her (bearing in mind I was about 10) that it resembled the scene in alien when the android was cut in half and his lungs were hanging out and I'd rather not. She turned white and muttered something before disappearing. 

And that God awful dessert that looked like frog spawn but tasted less appealing. Nasty. 

Nothing wrong with a curried egg though. 

We didn't go to the same school by any chance Ginger Cat, as the meals sound identical  :lol: , once I got my first gun I went off school dinners and saved the dinner money for cartridges , far healthier  , my mum often wondered why I was hungry and ate a big tea .:hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/05/2019 at 21:49, figgy said:

Lots of snacks were regional and made in Iocal food factories.

The ones your looking for Diver could have been regional to your area.

I assumed they were national.......but you may well be correct

my quest continues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/05/2019 at 19:44, GingerCat said:

My school dinners weren't up to much really. I remember one meal was some form of meat with cabbage. The dinner lady asked me why I wasn't eating it. I told her (bearing in mind I was about 10) that it resembled the scene in alien when the android was cut in half and his lungs were hanging out and I'd rather not. She turned white and muttered something before disappearing. 

And that God awful dessert that looked like frog spawn but tasted less appealing. Nasty. 

Nothing wrong with a curried egg though. 

that is and was the most distgusting substance anyone could put in their mouth...........tapioca........totally rank....every mouthful activated the sick trigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hesitate to disagree with PW's greatest hero but actually, I love tapioca. And sago, ground rice and all those milk puddings. My kids think I'm disgusting. They think that not just because of my love of milk puddings but also my favourite cold meat - ox tongue. Bloody fantastic.

I tried horseradish again the other day and had to spit it out - just cant get on with it at all. Most disgusting thing I ever tried was in Hong Kong when a client was trying to impress me when ordering dinner. It included jellyfish in satay sauce. Without doubt the worst thing I have ever tried to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2019 at 12:10, WestonSalop said:

I hesitate to disagree with PW's greatest hero but actually, I love tapioca. And sago, ground rice and all those milk puddings. My kids think I'm disgusting. They think that not just because of my love of milk puddings but also my favourite cold meat - ox tongue. Bloody fantastic.

I tried horseradish again the other day and had to spit it out - just cant get on with it at all. Most disgusting thing I ever tried was in Hong Kong when a client was trying to impress me when ordering dinner. It included jellyfish in satay sauce. Without doubt the worst thing I have ever tried to eat.

ox tongue........yessirrreeeee...:drool:...milk pudding and milky rice pudding with the skin ontop...................

 

tapioca ..................i would rather eat dog poo.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...