Brexit - merged threads

scouser

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Yes it will. 

Exactly, play their game of bluff. We are one of their richest current members - they sell us much more than we sell them and they simply cannot afford us not buying their goods. We can be just as stubborn as them, and though our ploiticians might not have the doodahs, many of us brexiteers could boycot German cars and European holidays.

Europe needs a strong hand to compel them to change their single market rules and German/French domination for their long term own good.

I think they'd fold soon after we leave if our senior politicians have what it takes.

(ploiticians was a dyslexic error but it suited me to leave it there) 😂

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Exactly, play their game of bluff. We are one of their richest current members - they sell us much more than we sell them and they simply cannot afford us not buying their goods. We can be just as stubborn as them, and though our ploiticians might not have the doodahs, many of us brexiteers could boycot German cars and European holidays.

Europe needs a strong hand to compel them to change their single market rules and German/French domination for their long term own good.

I think they'd fold soon after we leave if our senior politicians have what it takes.

(ploiticians was a dyslexic error but it suited me to leave it there) 😂

I noticed and wondered about it, almost a Freudian slip!:good:

This wonderful ‘Mexican Stand-off ‘ regarding purchase of goods in stating that they need us more etc due to our greater trade purchases than the reciprocal.

Such a simple statement and they know it- we buy all these good as we need them, what do you think will happen? That we will suddenly turn round and not need these goods, of course we will and at this point the EU hold the upper hand in what tariffs they could then impose.

Regardless of being greater consumers, we are in fact by the very virtue of tha,t in a potential position of ransom if ‘no deal’ materialises 

Also they are 40+ % of our sales and we are less than 10% of theirs. Neither side can afford to loose such important customers. Both sides will undoubtedly scrabble round trying to mitigate what will happen. Huge cost, waste and disruption. 

All the time this is going on we are bleeding cash and not getting on with more important things this country needs to be doing. 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

This wonderful ‘Mexican Stand-off ‘ regarding purchase of goods in stating that they need us more etc due to our greater trade purchases than the reciprocal.

Such a simple statement and they know it- we buy all these good as we need them, what do you think will happen? That we will suddenly turn round and not need these goods, of course we will and at this point the EU hold the upper hand in what tariffs they could then impose.

Regardless of being greater consumers, we are in fact by the very virtue of tha,t in a potential position of ransom if ‘no deal’ materialises 

But almost all that we buy from EU member countries, we can buy from outside the EU. Why do you think they stopped us talking trade deals with other countries until we are out?

The above sanction should have never been accepted, and is yet another show of an EU dictatorship. When will all you remainers wake up and see what the EU is and strives to be, it's already taking of an Army and being an Empire and we all know what happens when Germany have an Army and are thinking of an Empire!

We spend a lot more with the EU members in trade than they spend with us, they have more to lose in my opinion.

Who's going to take up the massive trade and budget deficit that the UK's departure leaves? 

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

If Tesco's doubled their price, I'd shop at Sainsbury's instead.

10 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

If Tesco's doubled their price, I'd shop at Sainsbury's instead.

If it was that simple, but the problem is, say ALL of your supermarkets source from the same place- then what are you going to do?

That is the reality of the situation, shopping around ( excuse the supermarket pun) is not an option when we run such a great import / export divide on common household commodities.

Edited by Jaymo

The real outstanding problem with 'the deal' is that everyone thinks it is something different.  I don't know if the public can get their hands on the actual many hundred page document, and have no intention of trying but ....

• I'll bet it isn't set out in clear therms the layman can understand
  • I'll bet it is arranged so that in a few years time many lawyers can make a good living out of 'interpreting ' it
  • It is only the 'transitional deal'
  • It has cost £40 billion (plus 18 months work by a shedload of people)
  • It lasts 2 years - or longer dependant on the EU's final decision
  • The real 'post transition' deal isn't really even started yet

Is it what we want?  Well - that video is largely what we want.  For example, it mentions agriculture and fisheries ........ but doesn't say what will happen to them. Macron is already saying that unless the post transition trade deal gives France fishingrights over UK waters, he will veto us ever leaving the transition period,  Spain has said things along similar lines about Gibralter.

The transition deal was with the EU Commission.  For the long term post transition trade deals we have to get all 27 to agree - or we can't leave.

38 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

But almost all that we buy from EU member countries, we can buy from outside the EU. Why do you think they stopped us talking trade deals with other countries until we are out?

The above sanction should have never been accepted, and is yet another show of an EU dictatorship. When will all you remainers wake up and see what the EU is and strives to be, it's already taking of an Army and being an Empire and we all know what happens when Germany have an Army and are thinking of an Empire!

We spend a lot more with the EU members in trade than they spend with us, they have more to lose in my opinion.

Who's going to take up the massive trade and budget deficit that the UK's departure leaves? 

I’m afraid to say that my vision/ version of a dictatorship is way off from yours my friend- our line of work takes us to many Countries that have a true dictatorship in governance and believe me, this ‘monster’ that you think the EU is, is really just a cute fluffy kitten.

Has it really influenced your life to such a degree that you feel this strongly? Must say, never saw your name on my voting slip to stand as an MEP ( that’s right, the non elected dictatorship that you by voting for an MEP is not in fact “non elected” )

Indeed some products are available from further afield, but the very same safety standards adopted across the EU to protect the consumer are not adopted elsewhere. 

A remainer I may be, like others am often labelled ( sometimes with such vitriol it’s difficult to comprehend such terms applied) but just as you have your opinion, I have mine ( except I don’t feel the need to sling the mud  and accept there is the possibility for others to voice themselves) 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And now the new sobriquet, B o B, Bored of Brexit, most of this country are suffering from it.

Why has it taken so long?

I know I am 🙂

i want to get back to seeing some real news in my newspaper, like what the Kardashians have had for breakfast and will Cheryl really give up her singing career ...........

10 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

If it was that simple, but the problem is, say ALL of your supermarkets source from the same place- then what are you going to do?

That is the reality of the situation, shopping around ( excuse the supermarket pun) is not an option when we run such a great import / export divide on common household commodities.

Trade with the Pacific block, use our old ties to the commonwealth, trade with trump, it would be an unsettled number of years but in the long run you'd just be buying different food in the shops and gmcs instead of BMW's, though I can't see the EU allowing it to get that far, but if they did it would be them who sufferd the most in the long run, we'd be better off.

Commonwealth - days of yesteryear and those countries are just as likely to drive a hard bargain!

GMC, Pontiac etc- yep, can see them re tooling for RHD supplies and minimising their range for our narrow little roads/ parking spaces

Deal with Trump, bloke who made a small fortune by staring with a large one! Trust a pit bull with a baby more than him to deliver on any promises or to stick to them without tantrums 

Purchasing different food in the shops, probably a good idea as it might change the ridiculous eating habits we in the U.K. have and help toward the obesity epidemic ( so Would starvation for inability to pay the exorbitant prices) Win - Win

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

you'd just be buying different food in the shops and gmcs instead of BMW's,

I have owned 2 BMWs and 3 Hondas in the last 20 odd years;  Two of the Hondas and one of the BMWs were built in the USA anyway, so we have always had trade from outside the EU.

The two USA built Hondas were also far better built than the (one) UK built one.

53 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

5 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I’m afraid to say that my vision/ version of a dictatorship is way off from yours my friend- our line of work takes us to many Countries that have a true dictatorship in governance and believe me, this ‘monster’ that you think the EU is, is really just a cute fluffy kitten.

We may have different views of what a dictatorship is, but mine is a ruling body that dictates what you can and can't do. Something that the EU does on a daily basis  (just ask Italy).

Has it really influenced your life to such a degree that you feel this strongly? Must say, never saw your name on my voting slip to stand as an MEP ( that’s right, the non elected dictatorship that you by voting for an MEP is not in fact “non elected” )

How would you know if I stood? Do you know my name? MEPs may be elected, but the commission is NOT and according to certain MEPs, MEPs have absolutely no say on policy making, so the decisions are made at an unelected level. And let's not forget that some dictators are elected!

Indeed some products are available from further afield, but the very same safety standards adopted across the EU to protect the consumer are not adopted elsewhere. 

Really standards again? The EU may have a standard of sorts but they were nowhere near as good as British, I've said it before anyone who has been on holiday in a EU member country can see they have little to no standards. There is a reason we have all red fire extinguishers and it has nothing to do with safety!

A remainer I may be, like others am often labelled ( sometimes with such vitriol it’s difficult to comprehend such terms applied) but just as you have your opinion, I have mine ( except I don’t feel the need to sling the mud  and accept there is the possibility for others to voice themselves) 

Please explain this mud slinging, I used the term remainer not remoaner, and you are entirely entitled to your opinion as am I, but don't expect your opinion not to be  countered if you want that then perhaps you shouldn't air them.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

So, by going on holiday to an EU country allows you to comment on standards..... forgive me as I pick myself up from the floor from laughing so hard—- try living in several and see what the ‘Current’ technical guidelines are for say ‘Electrical’ 

Bodges of old are long gone if done according to code.

Laying in my hotel room now and yep, sure doesn’t look like your local Travel lodge to me.....

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Beside there being other countries beside the EU that supply food, and WTO rules and tariffs apply to all parties, such an act would probably be illegal, and at the very least show the EU in a bad light.
I suppose the German owned supermarkets would be cast to the 4 winds too in the event ?

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Ill bet people used to say that about Germany in the early 30 s too.

13 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

GMC, Pontiac etc- yep, can see them re tooling for RHD supplies and minimising their range for our narrow little roads/ parking spaces

You do realise that American cars are sold in the UK and across the EU already ?

You also realise that the American penchant for big cars is a thing of the past ?
Besides the larger crew cab style pick ups used for business, and some bigger SUVs,  North Americans taste for cars is pretty much like our own, with many cars like the Ford Focus, Honda Civics and Toyota Corrolla being extremely popular.

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

So, by going on holiday to an EU country allows you to comment on standards..... forgive me as I pick myself up from the floor from laughing so hard—- try living in several and see what the ‘Current’ technical guidelines are for say ‘Electrical’ 

Bodges of old are long gone if done according to code.

Laying in my hotel room now and yep, sure doesn’t look like your local Travel lodge to me.....

Again with the assumptions!  Do you know me personally?

Maybe as a leave voter I fall into the category of thick, uneducated, little Englander in your opinion. And I'm the one slinging mud!

British Standrds were the best in the World, we lowered ours to meet the EU's because again they dictated it, because other members couldn't afford to meet ours.

Edited by Newbie to this

Indeed there are many models already sold here, fully appreciate that and indeed many of the European models have gone Stateside ( we used to fly a lot of the Ford parts from the U.K. to Germany and Belgium for various co lined models) 

Indeed it was late 80’s when the US market started to turn in their requirements for smaller vehicles for the domestic market and Rising Sun models became very popular- but the number one selling stateside vehicle is still a yank pickup is it not.

What I was trying to say is it’s not a ‘board game’ whereby you can simply fold and start again in a short space of time.

Right, gotta go gents - pick up time for work ( and no, I don’t mean an Dodge Ram type pick up) 

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Again with the assumptions!  Do you know me personally?

Maybe as a leave voter I fall into the category of thick, uneducated, little Englander in your opinion. And I'm the one slinging mud!

British Standrds were the best in the World, we lowered ours to meet the EU's because again they dictated it, because other members couldn't afford to meet ours.

Now, your assuming I think those things when NO Where or ever has that been stated or inferred......

10 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Now, your assuming I think those things when NO Where or ever has that been stated or inferred......

My assumption is based on your assumptions about me.

And quite clearly mine is an assumption, hence the maybe at the start of the sentence!

Edited by Newbie to this