Driving Rant!

WestonSalop

I'm not bothered if no-one comments on this - I just need to vent my spleen.

Given the weather forecast for the weekend, I decided to come on over to Harlech this evening rather than sit in endless jams tomorrow. I set off from glorious Shropshire, me and Eric the retriever. HRH and daughter coming tomorrow. Got as far as Llangollen with no issues, then was third car behind a newish Fiesta. We did exactly 36 mph all the way to Bala. And I mean 36 mph, constantly. Excellent road conditions, no traffic and as far as I was concerned, no excuses for driving at walking pace. There are a couple of places on that stretch with 30 mph limits. Our friend stuck at 36 and was oblivious to the signage. The one exception was when a large HGV came towards us. What did he do? He stopped!!!

At Bala, he went straight on and I turned right to go over the tops. I can only imagine the stupid idiot is still driving to wherever he's going - at 36 mph...…...

Rant over. Sorry.

Had one similar today on the A444 going towards Swadlincote. She was doing 35mph but kept touching the brakes every 100yrds and on the approach to every slight bend where I could very comfortably go around in the Landy at 50.  The 6 axle trucker behind me was getting very angry but no place to safely overtake and lots of oncoming traffic...... I could not believe this but at 5pm I drove on the A444 11miles away in the opposte direction and who should I catch up, but the same vehicle doing exactly the same thing.

These people create danger because other less experienced drivers then take chances or tail gate them.

They may be L drivers just through the test and this is why I have always thought a 12 month period with P plates fitted would at least give other drivers some information and some understanding.

40 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

I'm not bothered if no-one comments on this - I just need to vent my spleen.

Given the weather forecast for the weekend, I decided to come on over to Harlech this evening rather than sit in endless jams tomorrow. I set off from glorious Shropshire, me and Eric the retriever. HRH and daughter coming tomorrow. Got as far as Llangollen with no issues, then was third car behind a newish Fiesta. We did exactly 36 mph all the way to Bala. And I mean 36 mph, constantly. Excellent road conditions, no traffic and as far as I was concerned, no excuses for driving at walking pace. There are a couple of places on that stretch with 30 mph limits. Our friend stuck at 36 and was oblivious to the signage. The one exception was when a large HGV came towards us. What did he do? He stopped!!!

At Bala, he went straight on and I turned right to go over the tops. I can only imagine the stupid idiot is still driving to wherever he's going - at 36 mph...…...

Rant over. Sorry.

I think they were in Ulverston last week, same thing, luckily for me it was only ten mins maybe of him dawdling along touching the brakes until a short section of duel carriage, where everyone charged past the Muppet, certainly not a young driver.

Move to Dorset, every body does 35. Then they boot it when you overtake. Then slam on everytime a car comes the other way. Or a puddle. Or a rizla laying on the road. 

Its been a pleasure driving back in Pembrokeshire this last week, where people of all ages have experience of driving tidy in all weather conditions. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Move to Dorset, every body does 35. Then they boot it when you overtake. Then slam on everytime a car comes the other way. Or a puddle. Or a rizla laying on the road. 

Its been a pleasure driving back in Pembrokeshire this last week, where people of all ages have experience of driving tidy in all weather conditions. 

I wish that was the case in Pembrokeshire, but the fool doing 30 from Milford to Pembroke Dock with at least 20 cars behind her this evening on the way home from work would prove you wrong.

1 hour ago, WestonSalop said:

..... Got as far as Llangollen with no issues, then was third car behind a newish Fiesta. We did exactly 36 mph all the way to Bala.....

AA Route Planner:   Llangollen to Bala, distance  21.6 miles (A5 + A494), journey time 36 min 28sec, which works out at 35.5mph.

OP has said that there was no traffic, but no safe place to overtake a car doing 36mph in a 21 mile stretch.   Are the sight lines very poor, or are there double white lines most of the way, or is there something else that prevents overtaking?   It's been quite a few years since I last drove that way, and my recollection of the route is hazy.  

What speed do local folk consider appropriate for that road nowadays?

Very bendy roads, double white lines and on the few places where you can overtake, if there's something coming the other way then obviously, you don't do it! 

I don't give a monkey's what routeplanner says and in any case that's an average, including 30 mph limits and a few villages where even 30 is too fast. 

Not sure what others think but given I drive that route most weekends and observe most drivers going perfectly safely at rather more than 35 pmh, I know I'm right.

4 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

I don't give a monkey's what routeplanner says ....

They do on occasions come up with some rather surprising answers.   Maybe the Fiesta driver was just collecting data on behalf of AA Route Planner, to confirm their own figures.   Or scratching his head and wondering why people had written ARAF all over the roads.

been behind a few doing 30 in a 50 a few bends in the road they could be even slower  now a straight safe stretch to overtake  60 / 70  then a bend in the road back down to 30  its enough to make you spit  ,  not to mention the ones txting /social media  looking down weaving all over the place even slower for those I put my hand on the horn and flash main beams  and leave it there until they put the phone down and speed up (****** them off a treat)        with the exception of a woman in the centre lane on a46 raining heavily  nasty night slowed down to 20 mph blue light lit up cabin followed here driven alongside in the fast lane for five minutes or more as  my son filmed her oblivious to all others inc me blowing the horn alongside  so  passed the reg and footage on to the police , my son did not post on well known website as police cannot prosecute if on the web  

Edited by Saltings

Well, I have to say that by coincidence I've just had my nose well and truly rubbed in it.

As you can imagine, the traffic here on the coast in East Devon is manic. To collect my wife from the railway station in the late evening I allow just 4 minutes to get there. Some 20 minutes after setting off to collect her from a car park right beside the station a little while ago, I was less than half way there over 15 minutes later. The car in front of me was a Honda Jazz. I mentioned these a while ago following a very slow trip Southampton way one Sunday when I got tangled up with what I described as the "Ladies Over 90 Jazz Owners' Club Annual Rally" if I remember correctly. Oops! I thought here we go again and had started to get a tad irritable with the lady driver who was of an age. The car wasn't too young either and I was wondering about the brake lights. However, belatedly, I then realised what a superb driver she was - in the main, it wasn't what she did as much as what she didn't do. I actually followed her to the same destination and as she slowed to a stop the brake lights came on. So, wrong again.

I did her an injustice and it turns out that she's a credit to herself and is one of those very rare drivers who justify the term, 'motorist' - almost archaic in the modern Englisg language.

just had a pecker head cut me up  with less than a car length while pulling up to a junction to turn left with nothing behind me at all,   so followed the **** head off the junction directly  into lidl carpark  challenged said ******** re driving style  being an ********  towards other road users as he could have dropped in behind me as nothing there  with out any drama  ,   I got **** off I am a drifter racer bmw  driver in it , and then went shopping with a stinking attitude   (so I put  4 matches in the  tyre valves and left a note on the windscreen which said ,,   cant drift on flats lol)  manners on the road  , just seems so many ********* in little fast cars with a stinking chav angry attitude towards others,         back in the day this was explained that their actions were not acceptable  and  without involving police   , back in the day when xr3i were the car to have , a contractor I worked for ran  a merc something and at 110mph xr3 flat out  on m1 he got the v sigh from xr3 when flashed lights to get out of the way so he bumped them as he was good for 130 mph  and bumped every ******** all the way to London it become a personal pleasure for him now long passed away RIP SAM  the mercs back in the day were Sherman tanks with a long bonnet  , ********* CUT EVERY ONE UP its the puddle effect that kills the innocent