Anyone feel the cold during Winter?

bruno22rf

As a self confessed Captain Frosty I feel the cold something terrible during the Winter months - anything below around 6-7 degrees and I'm a shivering wreck. So I have been trawling the interweb for a possible answer and have come up with cheap heated jackets from the land of the Takeaway. The princely sum of £18 on the bay of plenty gets you a gillet style jacket that takes about 3 weeks to arrive - however your first obstacle is the Chinese idea of sizing - I;m an xxl but their xxxxl is too small but I can just squeeze into it. Next you need a power bank - I paid £16 on Amazon for a 28500maH unit that came next day via prime.

So what's the deal? Well, so far, I have only had one opportunity to try it (about a week ago when it was 5 degrees early in the morning) - I have to say that, first impressions, it is pretty darn good - the battery takes 10 hours to charge ( lead comes with the battery and charges via a USB socket) but the jacket will then stay warm for at least 5 hours at it's lower setting (lower setting feels like having the sun on your back) and probably far longer, in fact, after 5 hours the battery was not showing any drop in charge and I'm fairly confident that 12 hours would be easily attainable. On it's highest setting the jacket runs at 36 degrees which is too warm for even me at the moment but as it gets colder outside who knows?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know peops that had the same set up for boots as they have circulation issues in feet. 

I have wondered about getting something for when sitting in a high seat which would work better than just a couple of hand warmers. Its mostly for the extremities rather than the body core. 

45 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Well Ive ordered one, they have them on Amazon for £24 delivered, still a bit of a wait time though, so probably originating in China.
Ive got various powerbanks already, but bear in mind , the item wont work without one.

Just whack it in to the workshop mains supply!:P

johnphilip - yup - 12 different meds/day - cold most likely due to poor circulation and heart failure + my blood is kept "thin" to ensure good supply to organ transplants. As pointed out, these do not come with a power bank - mine, as said, is a 25800mAh and seems to be a bit of over kill - kept jacket at 25 degrees for 5 ish hours then recharged my iphone 5 days running before dropping 25% charge. Jackets come with an inside pocket that also has the male USB connector and about 6 inches of lead - batteries weigh about 300 grams and have the added bonus of being able to charge your mobile if you get the right lead (you most likely already have one) while still keeping you warm.

I find if sat for hours in the cold a petrol  handwarmer on the small.of your back and another in inside chest pocket staves off the cold and keeps you toasty warm. It's just the smell of lighter fluid fumes can be annoying after an hour or so.

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

I find if sat for hours in the cold a petrol  handwarmer on the small.of your back and another in inside chest pocket staves off the cold and keeps you toasty warm. It's just the smell of lighter fluid fumes can be annoying after an hour or so.

hello, this is what i do figgy, peacock hand warmer in shirt pocket with thin fleece then fleece waistcoat then top coat, 

No smell or mess from the heated jackets - 3 settings and I reckon the highest would make toast. Instructions are awful - standard Chines translation that could equate to anything from changing the batteries in your LED Santa to adjusting the headlights on a 1995 Nissan Sunny. 

I purchased a pair of overalls from Cabela's last time I was in the States. They are rated 'ARCTIC' and as I spend a fair amount of time these days sitting in high seats and ground blinds these have proved to be invaluable. They are light enough to not be a pain for a short walk.  I also have half a dozen handwarmers which I pop in the pockets and so can put my hands in there now and again to keep them happy. OK not advised for marsh work but other sitting around jobs , perfect.  They have bib and brace style(mine) and also full boiler suit.

For hand warmers I cant recommend the Peacock style enough, they can get too hot to handle. 

You can try thermal long John's, add a pair of trousers like the Blaser or Deerhunter winter style and you would be ok, but I bet it's your feet that will be the problem.  

On 01/10/2019 at 10:43, bruno22rf said:

As a self confessed Captain Frosty I feel the cold something terrible during the Winter months - anything below around 6-7 degrees and I'm a shivering wreck. So I have been trawling the interweb for a possible answer and have come up with cheap heated jackets from the land of the Takeaway. The princely sum of £18 on the bay of plenty gets you a gillet style jacket that takes about 3 weeks to arrive - however your first obstacle is the Chinese idea of sizing - I;m an xxl but their xxxxl is too small but I can just squeeze into it. Next you need a power bank - I paid £16 on Amazon for a 28500maH unit that came next day via prime.

So what's the deal? Well, so far, I have only had one opportunity to try it (about a week ago when it was 5 degrees early in the morning) - I have to say that, first impressions, it is pretty darn good - the battery takes 10 hours to charge ( lead comes with the battery and charges via a USB socket) but the jacket will then stay warm for at least 5 hours at it's lower setting (lower setting feels like having the sun on your back) and probably far longer, in fact, after 5 hours the battery was not showing any drop in charge and I'm fairly confident that 12 hours would be easily attainable. On it's highest setting the jacket runs at 36 degrees which is too warm for even me at the moment but as it gets colder outside who knows?

Got any links?

On 01/10/2019 at 11:17, Rewulf said:

Well Ive ordered one, they have them on Amazon for £24 delivered, still a bit of a wait time though, so probably originating in China.
Ive got various powerbanks already, but bear in mind , the item wont work without one.

What jacket size do you usually take?

Just now, bruno22rf said:

If you are xl you will need xxxxl trust me - the xxxxl are tight on me and I'm xxl.

Depends on the fit , I can get into a large on some things quite happily, Im about a 45 inch chest, but quite big in the shoulders , so often go for an XL .
If it doesnt fit , Ill get a bigger one, cheers !