Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

Within the London Borough I live in there are 127 confirmed cases from a population of 257,810, that's 0.0493% - no idea on the number of people tested but if you look at the ratio of tested vs. positive results nationally it implies that around 750 people have been tested. At ~0.29% of the population that sounds ridiculously low to me.

Whilst the increase in deaths today is indeed alarming, I assume we're all, more or less, agreed that it's the rate of new infections which is the key metric we need to keep an eye on!?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, henry d said:

... and plenty here who deal with them on a daily basis too. Just as easily transmitted by pest control, gamekeepers, or anyone else who goes in and around farms.

🐓

Who regularly eat them right ? :lol:

19 minutes ago, henry d said:

We were talking about hantavirus, so wind your neck in!

Lovely man , talking about chill pills ....Id grab a hand full.

25 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

China has alot to answer for with this!

Blaming China isn't going to help. Besides, it's a diversionary ploy. Now that the UK's total unpreparedness of this epidemic is coming home to roost (not that the UK is alone in being unprepared), certain people are looking to divert public anger away from themselves and towards some convenient lightning rod - and they're framing China for the role. So there's Michael Gove moaning that China didn't tell him that the disease was highly infectious. What a lot of disingenuous tripe. They didn't tell me either. But when they totally locked down a city 1.5 times the size of London and started to throw up 2,000 bed hospitals, do y'know, I put two and two together and figured it out for myself. And it took all of about 5 seconds!

Never mind China. What's more to the point is why National Health staff have a CAP put on how many of them can be tested. What's more to the point is why National Health staff are still working without proper safety equipment. What's more to the point is why Germany can test 100,000 people a day while the UK is struggling to test 10,000. What's more to the point is why Michael Gove stands on national television and outright lies that the reason for the lack of testing is down to to a shortage of chemical reagents. What's more to the point is why the government used as its initial response strategy a 2007 plan that was designed for an ordinary flu epidemic - the end outcome of which was mass-inoculation with a vaccine (the herd immunity). What's more to the point is why the government is awarding a multi-million pound contract for ventilators to a vacuum cleaner manufacturer (who's never built a medical appliance ever) without ever putting the contract out to tender. Etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't matter where, or even how, the virus originated ( I'm still suspicious of the Wuhan Virology Lab myself). What's done is done. Better to look to see if the UK can now up its game after what's been a desperately poor opening quarter of the match. And it present, it's not looking promising. No wonder they're looking about a scapegoat.

29 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

What's more to the point is why the government is awarding a multi-million pound contract for ventilators to a vacuum cleaner manufacturer (who's never built a medical appliance ever) without ever putting the contract out to tender. Etc, etc, etc.

Not the time for tenders, if a company says they can deliver then crack on, I'm glad there not using China.

29 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

why Germany can test 100,000 people a day while the UK is struggling to test 10,000

On yesterday's news they said the tests Germany are using are made in Germany,  we are trying to buy more?

And I've read several comments off different forums of people saying hospitals are ready and fine in their area.

35 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Blaming China isn't going to help. Besides, it's a diversionary ploy. Now that the UK's total unpreparedness of this epidemic is coming home to roost (not that the UK is alone in being unprepared), certain people are looking to divert public anger away from themselves and towards some convenient lightning rod - and they're framing China for the role. So there's Michael Gove moaning that China didn't tell him that the disease was highly infectious. What a lot of disingenuous tripe. They didn't tell me either. But when they totally locked down a city 1.5 times the size of London and started to throw up 2,000 bed hospitals, do y'know, I put two and two together and figured it out for myself. And it took all of about 5 seconds!

Never mind China. What's more to the point is why National Health staff have a CAP put on how many of them can be tested. What's more to the point is why National Health staff are still working without proper safety equipment. What's more to the point is why Germany can test 100,000 people a day while the UK is struggling to test 10,000. What's more to the point is why Michael Gove stands on national television and outright lies that the reason for the lack of testing is down to to a shortage of chemical reagents. What's more to the point is why the government used as its initial response strategy a 2007 plan that was designed for an ordinary flu epidemic - the end outcome of which was mass-inoculation with a vaccine (the herd immunity). What's more to the point is why the government is awarding a multi-million pound contract for ventilators to a vacuum cleaner manufacturer (who's never built a medical appliance ever) without ever putting the contract out to tender. Etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't matter where, or even how, the virus originated ( I'm still suspicious of the Wuhan Virology Lab myself). What's done is done. Better to look to see if the UK can now up its game after what's been a desperately poor opening quarter of the match. And it present, it's not looking promising. No wonder they're looking about a scapegoat.

Whilst it may not be the most pertinent question to answer right now, it really does matter where and how this virus originated. Only then we do we stand any chance of preventing recurrence. Numerous lessons to identify, and hopefully learn from this, but that is one of the most important ones.

Numerous companies have responded to the call for RMVS - nothing special about Dyson except the reporting in the media - no need to focus on that.

They say it doesn’t discriminate but that’s not what the stats say.

France: figures from the Public Health institute show that, from March 1 to March 22, 57% COVID-19 deaths were men with the average age of 81.

5EC942AB-0378-4A7A-8E6F-28BA74A47E60.png

I’m trying to get my head round the figures, but I do wonder why the news are (for example) reporting that 105 year old man in a hospice died of corona. With respect, I don’t think it was corona...

Edited by Mungler

11 minutes ago, Mungler said:

France: figures from the Public Health institute show that, from March 1 to March 22, 57% COVID-19 deaths were men with the average age of 81.

I’m trying to get my head round the figures, but I do wonder why the news are (for example) reporting that 105 year old man in a hospice died of corona. With respect, I don’t think it was corona...

The stats among the tested in this country are no different, 75 % of all cv19 deaths are over 75 years old. 

There seems to be a concerted effort to blame the virus (often without testing) for as many deaths as possible. 

A friend who works at Derbyshire Royal infirmary, has said there are people succumbing to terminal cancer and they are being statted as a coro death. 

The Netherlands to March 29
10,866 cases

Age 0-49 hospitalised
395 (3.63%)

Age 0-49 dead
Nil (0.0%)

Who knew Trump was onto something when he said the cure was likely to worse than suffering the cause.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Hobson’schoicetastic 

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Chill pill.

We were talking about hantavirus, so wind your neck in!

Well since we're discussing corona virus on this thread, it's not surprising I assumed it was that, so maybe it is you that should be doing the winding!

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

It might not help this crisis now they've caused it and tried covering it up, but maybe we should be getting them to pay something towards covering the unbelievably huge bill once this is over and also learn the lessons and hopefully deter them from holding their stinking markets which caused this huge loss of life around the globe, preventing it from happening again.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

hello, while i agree this is not the time to blame China, but they will have a lot to answer for in the future, as happens there is a team of Chinese Scientists in a Oxford Uni working on a quick corvid 19 test that only take 30 minutes to show, and a team of Engineers working on the design and build of Ventilators , once approved they have a company to manufacture   

50 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I believe It’s because it’s classified as a notifiable disease. Die of cancer with flu = cause of death is cancer, die of cancer with Covid-19 = died of Covid-19. 

Read this 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-to-understand-and-report-figures-for-covid-19-deaths-

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, while i agree this is not the time to blame China, but they will have a lot to answer for in the future,

I agree actually.  In an interconnected world we're all only as strong as the weakest link, and this isn't the first time that Chinese dietary predilections have led to a major viral panic. Once can be excused...but after SARS and now this - that's enough for everyone thank you very much.

No, it's the timing that irritates me. Why not before? Why this week?  It's only now - when glaring omissions and mistakes are starting to come home to roost -  that the government is suddenly screaming about China. It's such a transparent ploy to divert attention from the crisis on the ground, and it seems to me that we're back to this 'managing the message' ****. Well, there's a time and place for that, and it's  not now. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Think how many things come from China, how pies they have their fingers in, they won't be paying for anything,  we can hardly put sanctions on them,  how would it be enforced. 

I think we need to turn away from globalization, at least in its current form, I'm not talking about going back to the 50s, but state owned critical infrastructure, start some of our own manufacturing, more locally sourced foods and seasonal eating, less immigration, start creating decent jobs with decent wages for the masses, giving them a stake in the country. Buy less stuff from China, particularly if they're not going to take some responsibility for this!

Edited by 12gauge82

47 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think we need to turn away from globalization

Whilst agreeing in principle, there are too many fundamentals wrong;

• The UK population is FAR too high not to be reliant on food and goods imports
  • There is less farmland in production (due to housing, building, transport infrastructure etc.) and pressure to reduce still further to grow trees for carbon neutrality
  • People believe they have a right to cheap travel for holidays etc.
  • We have become a 'throw away' society ..... requiring continual replenishment

I sincerely hope I'm right in thinking that the current virus crisis won't materially reduce either UK or global populations - but ultimately that is where the real solution starts.