Lockdown

DazAllison

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the pubs are closed today. My sister went past and said the outsides of the pubs are packed, people taking up all the seating and they have brought their own beers and bottles of cider!!! 

Im starting to think a big portion of society would be better off getting the virus and not being given care! 

25 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Im starting to think a big portion of society would be better off getting the virus and not being given care! 

When I lived in Cape Town I had a friend who was a doctor at Groote Schuur hospital. He told me one time that he'd actually warned this one Cape Flats gang member from Manenberg that the next time he came in stabbed or shot he'd be damned well left to die unattended. They'd patched him up that many times that the ICU staff were completely sick of the sight of him. If he wanted to go out and fight that was his business, but they'd had enough of picking up the pieces afterwards. And with his propensity for fighting it their view he was utilizing valuable and scarce resources for what were self inflicted wounds and injuries. But I don't imagine when push came to shove that the thread would have been followed through with.

2 minutes ago, bluesj said:

What do you mean by lock down?

To me lock down would be the minimum contact between people me and the wife have just had a conversation and said that if we survive this then one or both of us  will look after the grandkids what ever the outcome I have had enough kickings in life I just need someone to look after me dog. 

14 minutes ago, bluesj said:

What do you mean by lock down?

Just that. All shops close apart from supermarkets and pharmacies. Force people to stay at home, not to take the caravan up the coast like everyone seems to have done. Essential travel only. We really need to stop this now.

3 minutes ago, The Heron said:

To me lock down would be the minimum contact between people me and the wife have just had a conversation and said that if we survive this then one or both of us  will look after the grandkids what ever the outcome I have had enough kickings in life I just need someone to look after me dog. 

Already doing that as much as I can, took the dogs out this morning didn't see anyone, been to work and done a few jobs only saw people I had too and no close contact. the only problem area was going to a shop for a few bits.

Before the Chinese turned the corner, they had 80,000+ cases. But they've got 1.3 billion people in China so extrapolated downwards to the UK's population that would be about 160+ cases in total!I don't understand this notion that total suppression is impossible and that the viral spread can only be moderated. Five weeks concerted and total effort with everyone on board could see this thing knocked down to a dozen cases or less a day. it just requires enough will that's all. It can be done. China has proved that.

Just now, Retsdon said:

Before the Chinese turned the corner, they had 80,000+ cases. But they've got 1.3 billion people in China so extrapolated downwards to the UK's population that would be about 160+ cases in total!I don't understand this notion that total suppression is impossible and that the viral spread can only be moderated. Five weeks concerted and total effort with everyone on board could see this thing knocked down to a dozen cases or less a day. it just requires enough will that's all. It can be done. China has proved that.

The problem I see is that it could all kick off again when china or anyone else comes out of lock down.

Would it not make more sense to let 99% of people get on with things and instead of "lock down" send all of the money to help those most vulnerable?

The country/economy is screwed. The effects will be huge and long lasting.

Just divert everything that's being spent on keeping people at home to helping the minority.  Most people cam cope with the virus with no more than a few days in bed.

Just a thought.

Edd

2 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Yes it will, but the hospitals can cope with it “little and often” they can’t cope with it in one go. 

but I can't see looking down for a few weeks then opening up for a couple and repeating is workable, Telling people to (not asking them) go to work if they can and if their job is needed or be at home could help slow it enough to be able to cope better and ramp up supplies of essentials.

2 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I am already hearing murmurs from the young thinking this is an old person problem and not their concern. It could not be policed and the young would ignore it

I don't believe that young people are so selfish. I think it's that people generally don't understand how these pathogens work and multiply. I've promised not to be negative, but I can't help thinking that there's been a failure to articulate a clear goal that the population at large can sign up to and feel part of. Like the military says, there's no such thing as bad troops. if you provide the motivation, people will step up.

2 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Would it not make more sense to let 99% of people get on with things and instead of "lock down" send all of the money to help those most vulnerable?

There are no pockets in a shroud. 

If you look at my previous posts I am sick and tired of do gooders children do as they are told including the millenniums it is not a problem of the old is a problem for us all ******* no all kids I have a family full of them as well as grandkids they have all the answers but I have sorry its been one of those weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I don't believe that young people are so selfish. I think it's that people generally don't understand how these pathogens work and multiply. I've promised not to be negative, but I can't help thinking that there's been a failure to articulate a clear goal that the population at large can sign up to and feel part of. Like the military says, there's no such thing as bad troops. if you provide the motivation, people will step up.

I couldn't agree more to most of what you are saying, but just for a giggle take a look at the first couple of pages of the coronavirus thread