spurs 14

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, White Rabbit said:

Some of the more mentally challenged fail to see the bigger picture.

If they're injured during their gallant protection of the nations crops or have a crash on their way there/back. Who are they planning on ringing?

It's not like the emergency services have much on at the minute is there!

WR.

But they have been playing this game for a couple of days so far!

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But they have been playing this game for a couple of days so far!

Sadly I think a lot aren't playing a game. They genuinely don't or can't get their head around it. Until a relative is taken away in an ambulance never to be seen again.

As the saying goes "You can't fix stupid".

WR.

18 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

Sadly I think a lot aren't playing a game. They genuinely don't or can't get their head around it. Until a relative is taken away in an ambulance never to be seen again.

As the saying goes "You can't fix stupid".

WR.

Nor gullible.

I’m in two minds regarding this. I was talking to a bloke this morning who likes to take his kayak onto Ullswater, and if he continued to do so  I fail to see what harm he would be doing, it is after all a solitary exercise. On his own he poses no threat to anyone at all. The problem arises though, when other kayakers and canoeists ( if it’s a word ) see him doing this they think ‘ well if he can do it why can’t I ?’ and then when a few others do it he’s no longer isolated. 
There’s nothing I enjoy much more than sitting in a hide, basically because I’m usually on my own. I don’t usually see anyone let alone speak to anyone. 
A mate who is a farmer often sits under a sitty tree where he erected a semi permanent hide some time ago, just to get away from things. His wife goes running for the same purpose...they have two children under ten and a third with severe disabilities, so they need time out. 
If he sits in there for an hour or two with his gun I genuinely can’t see what harm he is doing.

We built a permanent hide for lamping foxes from on the same farm. Again, to sit in there on your own is bliss, and again I genuinely  can’t see what harm it could do. 

Edited by Scully

Of course, common sense says that a bloke sitting in a hide on his own, or even walking his dog on the beach, isn't going to be either getting or spreading the virus and so why shouldn't he do either. The problem is that these things are always calibrated to the lowest common denominator - in other words to the kind of people who don't have common sense. So people with common sense must suffer as a consequence. Unfortunately that's just how it always works.

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Of course, common sense says that a bloke sitting in a hide on his own, or even walking his dog on the beach, isn't going to be either getting or spreading the virus and so why shouldn't he do either. The problem is that these things are always calibrated to the lowest common denominator - in other words to the kind of people who don't have common sense. So people with common sense must suffer as a consequence. Unfortunately that's just how it always works.

Quite. Which is exactly why we have empty shelves in shops. 

15 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if you check out fields sport related advice under general shooting it looks solved can’t see how another force can argue with how cheshire handled it 

I didn’t realise there was a Coronavirus/shooting thread going there as well. 

It’s still going to divide people. Even if legally you can perform pest control some will feel that morally you shouldn’t. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Quite. Which is exactly why we have empty shelves in shops. 

Exactly. The negligable percieved extra risk associated with driving to the location has to be seen in the context of vehicle journeys nationaly where shooting traffic increase would be negligable. In the case of lamb protection taking place at night, next to zero. All this off set by me leaving the chain saw in the shed. 🙂

23 minutes ago, AVB said:

I didn’t realise there was a Coronavirus/shooting thread going there as well. 

It’s still going to divide people. Even if legally you can perform pest control some will feel that morally you shouldn’t. 

I live and breath foxing night or day, but i kind of like living  too. We are under attack from the invisible man here, would you go out if there were a mad armed murderer on your ground. No of course you would not, but inn reality you would be much safer at least you could see him, we here are dealing with the invisible man.  Nah! Do as you like, i love myself and others way too much to risk lives for controlling foxes. If i had Lambs i would be out on my own place. but travelling too and from. No ill stay home watch TV.

The moment you go outside the door you increase the risk of catching or spreading this virus 

now it’s down to percentage the more you go out the more risk 

the more people that go outside and then adding this to the length of time you are outside the chance of your contact with a stranger increases 

the number of nurses and doctors is decreasing as there patients are increasing as there catching it from the patient’s 

the number of dead and infectious is increasing 

think of the % it’s a gamble and a risk to go outside of your home to get food  or to help your relatives 

does anyone need to add to the risk and pay the ultimate price 

for a pigeon a fox or a rabbit? 

are you feeling that lucky?

your being asked to stay at home how hard is it?

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

The moment you go outside the door you increase the risk of catching or spreading this virus 

the more people that go outside and then adding this to the length of time you are outside the chance of your contact with a stranger increases 

the number of nurses and doctors is decreasing as there patients are increasing as there catching it from the patient’s 

think of the % it’s a gamble and a risk to go outside of your home to get food  or to help your relatives 

Very well put sir .

I think folk have to realise that if they're asked to stay at home, it's for a good reason. Everybody is making sacrifices. 

It's not too much to ask that people don't go shooting. Am sure there are countless of folk missing their golf, football, etc etc but they get on with it because it's required to help the country through this. 

If the public hear or hear of shooting taking place during this lockdown, shooting as a sport will lose any credibility and support it has left. Simple as that.

You can argue about essential crop protection or fox control but the vast majority of folk on here do it as a hobby for their pleasure. If it's essential protection required, leave it to the farmer living on the land to carry out. And if they can't do it, so be it. Yes there will be losses but nothing compared to the loss of life through this outbreak and the loss of support for shooting sports.

This virus stays alive for days on surfaces. When you go out, if you open a gate or cough you put virus particles on these surfaces if you are infected, but not iIl yet. Or the person that was there a few days before was in the pre symptom stage of the virus so didn't know he had it and opened the gate or touched a fence.

Is it worth the risk.

In good conditions the virus can be viable for up to 9 days on surfaces. That means someone could have been there last week and left virus that is viable behind.

Is it worth your risk.

If you don't  care about your own health and safety. If you think you are getting on a bit and have had a good innings so what's it matter. Think about your children and your Grandchildren loss and the healthcare workers who will have to see to you.

Is it worth their risk.

20200328_092651.jpg.323bf2905ebe4fe85665c70e8e9e19d2.jpg

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Spot on. Did you catch gardeners world last night? Special on snow drops.

14 hours ago, stumfelter said:

I think that all the people who think they are entitled to go shooting pigeons in these troubled times should just go and when they (hopefully) lose their certs there will be more shooting for the sensible people when this comes to an end...

On what basis will they lose their certificates?

Problem is each firearms dept appears to give different advice.

BASC should be seeking to clarify this on behalf of their members.