Lockdown veiwing

Rob85

Hi guys I'm sure some of the older folk will remember this and im maybe not the first person to post about it on here, but I stumbled across "out of town" with Jack hargreaves on YouTube. Loads of episodes. Why can we not have television like this anymore? all way before my time but definitely some lovely relaxing veiwing if anyone is bored out of their tree....some fishing and shooting in among it all.

Very true! Surprising how many of his comments/observations back then on the way society was going (not for the good) have come true!  Clever man! Don't forget, The Lost Episodes and Old Country to. Jack's Game good. Tho i have gone off him after what i have heard about him in recent years.      NB

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

simple answer to that...................."not politically correct"

hello, as above, Simon got that one before me :lol:

3 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Very true! Surprising how many of his comments/observations back then on the way society was going (not for the good) have come true!  Clever man! Don't forget, The Lost Episodes and Old Country to. Jack's Game good. Tho i have gone off him after what i have heard about him in recent years.      NB

hello, what did you hear about Jack ?

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, Simon got that one before me 

hello, what did you hear about Jack ?

Great Series!But heard he tried to nick shooting and fishing rights for himself and his mates after where he made some of those episodes. Was not welcome back on the hill stalking or pigeon shooting. Heard he nearly shot Archie Coates?           NB

Just now, NatureBoy said:

Great Series!But heard he tried to nick shooting and fishing rights for himself and his mates after where he made some of those episodes. Was not welcome back on the hill stalking or pigeon shooting. Heard he nearly shot Archie Coates?           NB

hello, He was chucked off a very well known Salmon fishery for cheating

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

And I seem to recall he was done for fishing without a licence......

huh typicle footballer :lol:........just listened to a very very uncomfortable interview.............Sky interviewing Gary Liniker............hahaa you know where his interests lay.....making money and keeping it.................

24 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

And I seem to recall he was done for fishing without a licence......

hello, i do not know about that but when i went to Ballina to fish on the Moy they were talking about him cheating and chucked off the fishery the week before, check out Ballina Salmon fishing, oh i went on the cheapy ticket:lol:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Dunno about that OPP...... but when I was in Ballina years ago, I watched all the “guides” (or whatever they were?) on the Ridge pool, fawning over him like he was royalty........his successful stint as manager of the Southern Ireland national football team, had more or less allowed him the freedom to access fishing wherever he wanted.....and he did!.........he had a house built on the Foxford road just out of Ballina, we stayed in a B&B owned by the builder who built it for him......just by Hughes lounge Bar......he had more photos of Jack in his house than those of the Pope! Lol!

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Hi guys I'm sure some of the older folk will remember this and im maybe not the first person to post about it on here, but I stumbled across "out of town" with Jack hargreaves on YouTube. Loads of episodes. Why can we not have television like this anymore? all way before my time but definitely some lovely relaxing veiwing if anyone is bored out of their tree....some fishing and shooting in among it all.

Is that the old guy from "HOW"?

Edited by defender

45 minutes ago, defender said:

Is that the old guy from "HOW"?

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Dunno about that OPP...... but when I was in Ballina years ago, I watched all the “guides” (or whatever they were?) on the Ridge pool, fawning over him like he was royalty........his successful stint as manager of the Southern Ireland national football team, had more or less allowed him the freedom to access fishing wherever he wanted.....and he did!.........he had a house built on the Foxford road just out of Ballina, we stayed in a B&B owned by the builder who built it for him......just by Hughes lounge Bar......he had more photos of Jack in his house than those of the Pope! Lol!

hello, he was not treated like Royalty after that, 

• 2 weeks later...

I have most of the Jack Hargreaves out of town vids, bought for pennies off Ebay when I see them. If you want the collection, it's a fortune. 

The commentary is great with his observations on life and no holds barred on what he said. I watch them mostly when I go with the caravan, shooting or fishing on my own.

He does a good one of hides and pigeon shooting where he takes down 2 pigeons with one shot and remarks that as cartridges cost almost 1/- (one shilling that's 5p) he can't afford to waste them.

He did get some bad press, but that was because he had been married a couple of times. He was the driving force behind the TV programme HOW.

Should be compulsory viewing for the next generation. I always find things I missed last time I viewed so they're well worth a watch. 

He does get confused with Jack Charlton who fished without a licence, but other than sharing a first name they have little in common.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I have most of the Jack Hargreaves out of town vids, bought for pennies off Ebay when I see them. If you want the collection, it's a fortune. 

The commentary is great with his observations on life and no holds barred on what he said. I watch them mostly when I go with the caravan, shooting or fishing on my own.

He does a good one of hides and pigeon shooting where he takes down 2 pigeons with one shot and remarks that as cartridges cost almost 1/- (one shilling that's 5p) he can't afford to waste them.

He did get some bad press, but that was because he had been married a couple of times. He was the driving force behind the TV programme HOW.

Should be compulsory viewing for the next generation. I always find things I missed last time I viewed so they're well worth a watch. 

He does get confused with Jack Charlton who fished without a licence, but other than sharing a first name they have little in common.

hello, yes i must have watched most of Out of Town episodes, shame we never had a video recorder back then, i remember HOW to, even i learned a thing or 2 watching those, like how did the shotgun sizes came about ? eg 410/20/16/12/10/8/4 etc

Another story about Jack C - many years ago Jack was invited to fish for salmon on the tweed by a local business man. After a very successful day the fish were placed into Jacks car with the promise that Jack would call into the village pub to have a beer and a chat with the locals who were waiting to meet him - unfortunately he drove past and didn’t stop.

yes I was one of the locals waiting 🙁.

hello, i meant to say about Jack Hargreaves, in my late teens my dad got me some shooting on a farm near Chichester, Lavant if anyone knows the village,  as he went to school with the farmer, every saturday i would go and ask if any pigeons about as then he had planted a field of Brasica, it had been snowing so a lot of pigeon were on this, anyway i called in the farm and got told, should have been here yesterday boy old jack hargreaves was filming yesterday, i remember that one as i was in the same hide that day as Jack used, farmer put out some straw bales, i watched it about 2 weeks later. maybe someone on PW remembers that one to ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper