Government grants

Essex Keeper

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, its a loan so i think they will need to pay back, i would think only for the very small business it might help

No mate, they put the money straight in our bank after filling out the forms. It’s a grant, not a loan. We will be taxed on it but the council can now say there’s no excuse for not paying their rent. I was shocked to get it but it’s the first EVER in my life I’ve been gifted something like this and I’m grateful. I will say that I’ve deserved it due to 30+ years of graft and playing the game fairly and being on point, but there’s bound to be someone out who will grouse about that so I’ll stop there.

16 hours ago, Pistol p said:

No mate, they put the money straight in our bank after filling out the forms. It’s a grant, not a loan. We will be taxed on it but the council can now say there’s no excuse for not paying their rent. I was shocked to get it but it’s the first EVER in my life I’ve been gifted something like this and I’m grateful. I will say that I’ve deserved it due to 30+ years of graft and playing the game fairly and being on point, but there’s bound to be someone out who will grouse about that so I’ll stop there.

hello, ok cheers for that

11 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

WE all will be paying it back ten fold after all this mess is over

Yep, and with 3 articles that I've seen from diverse publications such as The Guardian, The Spectator and The Times asking whether now is the time for a one off 'wealth tax', it looks like we are all being softened up and prepped for a tax on savings.

It is an odd grant though? 
I know three people who have received it, they haven’t lost a days business, in fact one has boomed (cleaning supplies) none of them pay rates (small business rate relief) all three are 1-2 person operations, they can’t believe they have been awarded it and expect to slammed in the future for a return in one form or another. Two other businesses I know are not eligible (rates too high) and yet they employ 25/30 people, still have mortgages on their business (hotel and pub) and overheads and are offered secured loans!  

Edited by Lampwick

2 of my businesses pay rates directly to the landlord included in the rent and therefore can't claim anything but the landlord is laughing.

I have loads of mates who have small premises and although they have rates accounts they don't pay anything due to "small business exemptions" and they have all recieved their grants.

Frustrating.

Edd

A bone of contention for me!

I co-own a packaging company - we manage clients packaging portfolios (i.e we supply all packaging and manage the supply chain of it for clients, including designing new and sustainble packaging at the same time).

Because we spend so much time on the road out visiting clients, manufacturers etc... we stopped renting an office and as we have grown we have employed people based on talent around the UK. Because of Covid, we lost around 50% of our revenue in the short term as we supply places like the Kia Oval etc... so they suddenly don’t need anything but we have hundreds of tonnes of stuff brought and in stock for them so sat on it. 

Whilst we have struggled to make cash flow balance out, some of my clients need 4 X the amount of packaging in half the time, but we have had to manage with raw material shortages etc... and after all that, I have mates who have been granted £10k for nothing when they are doing well! 

23 minutes ago, Mentalmac said:

A bone of contention for me!

I co-own a packaging company - we manage clients packaging portfolios (i.e we supply all packaging and manage the supply chain of it for clients, including designing new and sustainble packaging at the same time).

Because we spend so much time on the road out visiting clients, manufacturers etc... we stopped renting an office and as we have grown we have employed people based on talent around the UK. Because of Covid, we lost around 50% of our revenue in the short term as we supply places like the Kia Oval etc... so they suddenly don’t need anything but we have hundreds of tonnes of stuff brought and in stock for them so sat on it. 

Whilst we have struggled to make cash flow balance out, some of my clients need 4 X the amount of packaging in half the time, but we have had to manage with raw material shortages etc... and after all that, I have mates who have been granted £10k for nothing when they are doing well! 

Found out yesterday that someone who rents an office in the same building as me has received the 10k grant and they haven't been affected at all.

They rent about 1/4 of the space that I do but I can't get anything.

Edd 

I was shot down in flames on here about a month ago.............................I dared to suggest that any Government schemes were wide open to abuse and that it would not take long for loopholes to be exploited  ! Looks as though I am still wrong then  !

12 hours ago, Westley said:

I was shot down in flames on here about a month ago.............................I dared to suggest that any Government schemes were wide open to abuse and that it would not take long for loopholes to be exploited  ! Looks as though I am still wrong then  !

Well you were obviously right but at the moment I would imagine that they don't have time to verify and validate every claim, the entities who need help the most need it immediately and if the govt delay then it ends up looking like a PR stunt (and they'd get flamed too). Doesn't mean they won't circle back later and take action against the fraudulent claimants, if they make the punishment worse than the original assistance then they even get to offset some of the original outlay.

A fellow I work with here in Saudi spends the overwhelming bulk of his salary propping up a failing tea and coffee business back in Manchester that's run by his business 'partner' and a couple of staff. It's never made a bean in profit since it opened two years ago. I saw him in the campus supermarket yesterday, and he was telling me that the one silver lining about being locked down was that he wasnt' having to fork out all his monthly pay check. They'd applied for, and got, a 10,000 quid grant for the business and the staff were on government paid furlough. Happy days...

Edited by Retsdon

On 26/04/2020 at 08:38, treetree said:

Yep, and with 3 articles that I've seen from diverse publications such as The Guardian, The Spectator and The Times asking whether now is the time for a one off 'wealth tax', it looks like we are all being softened up and prepped for a tax on savings.

Yes there is no doubt about it, some serious financial pain is to come !

I dont think a single massive wealth tax alone would sort it. I think we will get one but it will also be accompanied with large general tax rises.

Another way would be to let inflation rise to erode the value of the debt.

I also think NHS spending will remain very high for a considerable time, because the public will now see this as a government priority.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

A fellow I work with here in Saudi spends the overwhelming bulk of his salary propping up a failing tea and coffee business back in Manchester that's run by his business 'partner' and a couple of staff. It's never made a bean in profit since it opened two years ago. I saw him in the campus supermarket yesterday, and he was telling me that the one silver lining about being locked down was that he wasnt' having to fork out all his monthly pay check. They'd applied for, and got, a 10,000 quid grant for the business and the staff were on government paid furlough. Happy days...

And your point is? The fact is the staff have been kept on and, one assumes, will be reemployed once the lockdown finishes. The alternative being that they are made redundant and have to claim benefits. The fact that he is subsidising a loss making business is irrelevant. 

4 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Yes there is no doubt about it, some serious financial pain is to come !

I dont think a single massive wealth tax alone would sort it. I think we will get one but it will also be accompanied with large general tax rises.

Another way would be to let inflation rise to erode the value of the debt.

I also think NHS spending will remain very high for a considerable time, because the public will now see this as a government priority.

It will have to now the world has seen the proven possibilities of fairly selective bio warfare.

10 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Well you were obviously right but at the moment I would imagine that they don't have time to verify and validate every claim, the entities who need help the most need it immediately and if the govt delay then it ends up looking like a PR stunt (and they'd get flamed too). Doesn't mean they won't circle back later and take action against the fraudulent claimants, if they make the punishment worse than the original assistance then they even get to offset some of the original outlay.

Ah, I see.  A bit like the D.H.S.S. then  ?      🙄

I'll bet that will merit some Community Service   !

Edited by Westley

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Ah, I see.  A bit like the D.H.S.S. then  ?      🙄

I'll bet that will merit some Community Service   !

I agree with you and you roll your eyes, lol.

My main point was that they haven’t got time to check everything but you skipped over that. Maybe because you know I’m right. 

22 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I agree with you and you roll your eyes, lol.

My main point was that they haven’t got time to check everything but you skipped over that. Maybe because you know I’m right. 

I was NOT disagreeing with you, merely highlighting the futility of trying to investigate so many of the claims. Having said that, for the FIRST time people are receiving custodial sentences for assaults on Officers by spitting or coughing on them, then claiming to have the virus. So many Police Officers have been seriously assaulted on duty, only to have the Offender given Community Service.