Cummings in the soup?

Retsdon

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

Durham Police have now admitted (on BBC news) that they did NOT speak to anyone in the Cummings family about breaking lockdown rules (which ties in with what Cummings previously said).

They did speak to the family, but only about security, which is not what was being reported earlier.

Well I never, someone else was telling porkies!

Just now, Mighty Ruler said:

I see Starmer has switched from calling for an inquiry to calling for Cummings to go. So what action will he be taking against his own Labour lockdown breakers like Kinnock etc.

Nothiing!

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Smokersmith said:

No … I think his local hospital will be shouting loud if they didn't have his child overnight.

And plenty of journo's will be asking them ..

Not sure how you managed it, but you misquoted me...

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gentlemen we ride tonight!

red-dead-online.jpg

Basically, you can do whatever you want, so long as you wear your Cummings face mask 😛 The cowboy analogy is very apt mind...

Stolen from elsewhere:-

I watched Cummings's statement, I think his behaviour was perfectly right and sensible for a normal human being.

But as I said before, he's not a normal human being, he's a hate figure to many, and watched. So how the eff he thought he was going to get away with that God knows. Idiot.

The irony is the people complaining it's one rule for them and another for us are making it true. If Joe Bloggs had done what he did, nobody would have known or cared.

So it is indeed one rule for us and one for them. They get crucified, we don't.

6 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I think his behaviour was perfectly right and sensible for a normal human being.

So if you thought your eyesight might have gone a bit wonky, you'd test it by putting your wife and child in the car and taking them for a drive to a local castle?  Perfectly normal.

The more I listened to him, the more convinced I became that the whole thing was as likely as not one big made-up story. But it's par for the course these days that credibility is no longer an issue in politics. If you can't actually prove they're lying, they're right and you're wrong.

Oh well. Brexit next....

5 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Stolen from elsewhere:-

I watched Cummings's statement, I think his behaviour was perfectly right and sensible for a normal human being.

But as I said before, he's not a normal human being, he's a hate figure to many, and watched. So how the eff he thought he was going to get away with that God knows. Idiot.

The irony is the people complaining it's one rule for them and another for us are making it true. If Joe Bloggs had done what he did, nobody would have known or cared.

So it is indeed one rule for us and one for them. They get crucified, we don't.

That's worth precisely what you paid for it 😛 

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

So if you thought your eyesight might have gone a bit wonky, you'd test it by putting your wife and child in the car and taking them for a drive to a local castle?  Perfectly normal.

The more I listened to him, the more convinced I became that the whole thing was as likely as not one big made-up story. But it's par for the course these days that credibility is no longer an issue in politics. If you can't actually prove they're lying, they're right and you're wrong.

Oh well. Brexit next....

When the eye sight stuff started I could not hold in the laughter. It's like watching the two ronnies. Unfortunately so many seem to be taken in by him. 

What a pity washing your hand wont get rid of the smell.

Oh well. Brexit next ....

Edited by oowee

Someone in my road has been happily driving to and from a second home in cardiff. Gets in a car gets out and into the house, back into a car and home here. Only get home delivery shopping, id say thats very self isolated. Metal sealed box and staying inside. But hey, he broke rules just didn't get caught and if he did he'd get a fine nothing more

2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Secondly, unless I have missed it, not one of the media have asked him the details of the person giving him his medical advice.  This advice forms a significant reason for his actions and yet no one has followed it up.

To get that a publish it would break so many rules no journalist would dare. It would be open season. More holy than holy. Crown court judges at the very least to legally obtain it and that's after crawling over barbed wire with your files undone. 

I see Starmer has switched from calling for an inquiry to calling for Cummings to go. So what action will he be taking against his own Labour lockdown breakers like Kinnock etc.

starmer who once said let's not prosecute those child groomers and rapists incase we are seen as racist. His word is worth nothing. 

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

When the eye sight stuff started I could not hold in the laughter. It's like watching the two ronnies.

I didn't watch the whole thing - too many irritants in it. But someone over on the Daily Mail just made the comment that they though his story sounded very much like a script to cover the known events.  And that's probably as good a summation as you'll find. Whether not it's true doesn't matter. It can't be disproved so end of story.

bff0fc0fd1d24e0ce35be3e6813d3d07f605473e

I watched the conference over a glass of wine in my garden until my phone died - the delayed start didn’t help. My wife’s uni pal from Worcester College gave him a much better pasting than Keunseburg and Peston. Cummings answered lots of questions which is good, many rumours about additional trips can be put to bed. Generally both him and Johnson will be pleased with how it went. He clearly broke the rules but rather than accept that he made a mistake they have basically trashed the rules - which is fine for this but probably not in the wider public interest.

His cover storey for the 60 mile day trip was frankly ridiculous, I genuinely cannot believe that is the best that they managed to concoct. It is so unbelievable on many accounts. Unsure if your eyes work? Arrange a 60 mile test drive with you wife and young child in the car. Seems legit. Also, I have 3 sons, similar ages to Cummings’s son, from personal experience and that of dozens of frrodbds and family  the “they got out of the car for a quick wee and it ended up as a trip into bluebell woods” I cannot see ever happening. However, we have his word for it and in these situations with the absence of any evidence to the contrary I would say that the Scots “Not Proven” verdict would be the most appropriate overall.

Let him get on with his job and everyone back to work. Obviously if anything he or Johnson stayed turns out to be untrue then there will be a big issue. 

Edited by WalkedUp

20 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I didn't watch the whole thing - too many irritants in it. But someone over on the Daily Mail just made the comment that they though his story sounded very much like a script to cover the known events.  And that's probably as good a summation as you'll find. Whether not it's true doesn't matter. It can't be disproved so end of story.

at last!:rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Someone in my road has been happily driving to and from a second home in cardiff. Gets in a car gets out and into the house, back into a car and home here. Only get home delivery shopping, id say thats very self isolated. Metal sealed box and staying inside. But hey, he broke rules just didn't get caught and if he did he'd get a fine nothing more

Has the person in your road played a key part in determining the measures the everyone else must follow, such that they cant attend funerals, hold the hand of someone dying, attend the birth of a child, earn a living, etc?

It is not really about what he did, but it is absolutely about his position and status in political life and what his actions mean in the context of the restrictions of normal freedoms and liberties for everyone else that he played a fundamental role in establishing and influencing.

He did not need to do what he did, he chose to. There was not a critical care situation or anything even closely approaching that, there were a load of ifs and buts.

The codswallop that he was alluding to that he was under pressure and feeling a bit rubbish so his decision making might have been a bit flawed, yet he was assured enough to want to get back to work to support making policy decisions that would impact on millions and potentially having to deal with the demise of the PM.

Clear enough of mind to make hundreds of critical decisions for the good of the rest of us, seeing as he liked to remind everyone why he was so important to be back at work, but felt a bit pants to be uncertain of whether to drive a car or not so thought he would have a wee practice dry run, a sit by the river, a walk and play in the roadside woods.

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

must remember to take my SCRIPT next time i’m out in case i forget what the truth is if i’m stopped lol 

:lol:

45 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

End of chapter 1 maybe. 

21 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Agreed, i think this story is going to run and run.  It's not about the trip anymore, doing that statement today turned it into something much bigger.

I’m not sure it has ever been about the trip; the man has created more enemies than is good for anyone. 
He has played right into the hands of all of those who dislike what he stands for, and if it hadn’t been the trip it would have eventually been something else. The knives were already out, they just needed a cause. 
The sad thing is in my opinion, is that it may have serious implications for not just Brexit, but the Tory party as a whole. 
If this had happened at the end of term rather than the beginning, I think it would have spelled the end of a Tory government. 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

If this had happened at the end of term rather than the beginning, I think it would have spelled the end of a Tory government. 

I think that too, my wife and I were just discussing the very matter. Fortunately they have 4.5 years to put this sorry affair behind them. Similarly we are disappointed so far in Johnson, we had so much hope in him as a centrist and previously a skilled (even if pantomime) political operator. We have seen little leadership or vision so far. Fate has dealt him a bad hand, BREXIT and Coronavirus to deal with in his first year in office. Let us hope that he, and the political landscape overall, improves over this term.

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure it has ever been about the trip; the man has created more enemies than is good for anyone. 
He has played right into the hands of all of those who dislike what he stands for, and if it hadn’t been the trip it would have eventually been something else. The knives were already out, they just needed a cause. 
The sad thing is in my opinion, is that it may have serious implications for not just Brexit, but the Tory party as a whole. 

I agree but the thing is the Ferguson story broke off the back of the fact he’d resigned. That’s why this ran and ran in the press.

I suspect this is gonna continue to run and run too, who knows where it ends but it’s already madness.

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

I completely agree.  I really care not a jot about DC, i was genuinely ambivalent about the man, he was just one of many polarising figures in politics.

This issue for me is not about the man (although i appreciate for many it is) or even about his actions per se, it is all about the moral principle of his choices in relation to his actions.

His choice has also brought BoJo’s decision making and sense of principle into question too and I think will have alienated so many of the voters that took a chance on him in December.

I think the government underestimate the sense of anger about this at their peril.

3 minutes ago, grrclark said:

brought BoJo’s decision making and sense of principle into question too

I don't think Johnson is firing on all cylinders (yet) since his illness.  People take time to recover from things like 'flu.  This is said to be worse if you get it badly - as he obviously did.