Covid xmas and the government

turbo33

Anyone else despair over the governments plan to have family groups getting together for xmas? I know its a great time usually for some, not great for others, but I can see absolute carnage at the end of Jan! Just my thoughts......

Edited by turbo33

21 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Yes I think the same many grandma & grandpa’s going into pine boxes 2nd week of January why all this fuss over Xmas just forget about it for one year.

But the thing is, many of those grandparents have said they’re willing to take the risk because they don’t know how many Christmas’ they have left. I can understand that. 

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

But the thing is, many of those grandparents have said they’re willing to take the risk because they don’t know how many Christmas’ they have left. I can understand that. 

I  would rather miss out on this one and have another 5 to look forward to rather than the high risk that this would likly be my last.

13 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

I  would rather miss out on this one and have another 5 to look forward to rather than the high risk that this would likly be my last.

That’s fair enough and perfectly understandable also, if you reckon you’ve got another five in you, and I sincerely hope you have many more than that; I’m simply repeating what a peer stated on a news article last week. 

Cannot agree more skip this one and stay alive ,Save money instead of putting it in land fill in Jan or Feb . Most of all buy yourself something you really want instead of rapping **** up in colourfully paper just to get chucked away and saying O Thank you very much that's lovely just what I wanted a trip to skip or charity shop recycling  centre . I bet you are all looking already what to buy yourself 

Happy hunting all

I absolutely do not despair at all at a relaxing of restrictions for Christmas.  I don't think that allowing family get togethers will have an appreciable rise in infection rates either.

We are still a fundamentally Christian country and even where we have become much less religious our traditions are still based on many of the Christian premises (I daresay someone will wish to remind me how Christmas is really pagan, etc), that is why we have holidays at Easter and Christmas.

For a great many people Christmas does mean something special, particularly the family element, and to not be able to indulge in that after a year of significant restriction of liberties and freedoms I think is too much.  If Christmas to you is just about X Boxes or whatever then that speaks to your materialism, for so many people it isn't about that at all.

Families have had to watch relatives languish in care homes without being able to visit, they have had to witness relatives endure isolation in thier own homes with a decline of their well being, especailly elderly and vulnerable relatives.  Why on earth would we choose to volunteer to place even more emotional hardship on individuals at a time of year that is especially poignant to many.

Many people will not have the luxury of another Christmas beyond this one, many more will make a choice to undertake their own risk evaluation of whether getting together with their family at Christmas is worth the risk to them for the sake of one more Christmas together, they are grown ups and should be allowed to do so without any fear of intervention by the state.

The mere fact that we are even countenancing a law that should preclude us from spending a Christmas Day together with our familes, let alone advocating for it, I find incredibly discomforting.

6 hours ago, grrclark said:

I absolutely do not despair at all at a relaxing of restrictions for Christmas.  I don't think that allowing family get togethers will have an appreciable rise in infection rates either.

We are still a fundamentally Christian country and even where we have become much less religious our traditions are still based on many of the Christian premises (I daresay someone will wish to remind me how Christmas is really pagan, etc), that is why we have holidays at Easter and Christmas.

For a great many people Christmas does mean something special, particularly the family element, and to not be able to indulge in that after a year of significant restriction of liberties and freedoms I think is too much.  If Christmas to you is just about X Boxes or whatever then that speaks to your materialism, for so many people it isn't about that at all.

Families have had to watch relatives languish in care homes without being able to visit, they have had to witness relatives endure isolation in thier own homes with a decline of their well being, especailly elderly and vulnerable relatives.  Why on earth would we choose to volunteer to place even more emotional hardship on individuals at a time of year that is especially poignant to many.

Many people will not have the luxury of another Christmas beyond this one, many more will make a choice to undertake their own risk evaluation of whether getting together with their family at Christmas is worth the risk to them for the sake of one more Christmas together, they are grown ups and should be allowed to do so without any fear of intervention by the state.

The mere fact that we are even countenancing a law that should preclude us from spending a Christmas Day together with our familes, let alone advocating for it, I find incredibly discomforting.

I'm expecting restrictions till xmas and after because I can't see the government being able to cancel xmas as such, I don't think its anything to do with religion it's more the holiday everyone enjoys and looks forward to. 

For some reason our kids school doesn't break up till the Wednesday, the 23rd I think which seems ridiculous for young kids, it would have been nice to be off for a week away from other kids and parents reducing the chance of things being passed around. The school have already said how the three days will all be about about fun for the kids because I'm sure plenty of people will be thinking of saying the kids are ill for a few days.

I don't imagine many would bother about being in lockdown during January if they'd enjoyed xmas?

Given that most grandparents have seen little of their grandchildren this year I can fully understand them wanting to see them and other family but how it works out I've no idea.

On 18/11/2020 at 11:11, turbo33 said:

Anyone else despair over the governments plan to have family groups getting together for xmas? I know its a great time usually for some, not great for others, but I can see absolute carnage at the end of Jan! Just my thoughts......

On 18/11/2020 at 11:18, blackbird said:

Yes I think the same many grandma & grandpa’s going into pine boxes 2nd week of January, why all this fuss over Xmas just forget about it for one year. 

You people really are actively encouraging the government to take your freedoms. It is not for any person or government to choose who you spend your Christmas with. You can choose to spend it sat on your own if you feel the risks are too great, but please stop cheerleafing this government on in interfering on our freedoms and family life. 

15 minutes ago, treetree said:

You people really are actively encouraging the government to take your freedoms. It is not for any person or government to choose who you spend your Christmas with. You can choose to spend it sat on your own if you feel the risks are too great, but please stop cheerleafing this government on in interfering on our freedoms and family life. 

Interesting view. 

55 minutes ago, ordnance said:

People with any common sense would not put their parents grandparents etc at risk, by having them together at Christmas. 

The point is parents and grand parents should be free to make their own choice.

On 20/11/2020 at 21:28, treetree said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

We where asked to work our Xmas holidays as they want to keep students on campus over the holidays , Only thing thats going to be open is a small shop can you see anybody Staying ?they cant force them ? 

Theres already been a influx of parents phoning from Ireland , England early in the week can i pick up so &so  on Thursday so there home before the lockdown ?

The place is that bad now with Covid there one building in lockdown , We where told they had talks with the government and police as they now admit they cant cope , There was to  be a police presence on campus between 23.00 till 04.30 to stop the party's , Surprise, Surprise they where a no show 

It appears the students and parents want to go home for xmas ?. 

As said watch the January rates rise ?.

Must say I'm surprised at the three families can meet over xmas, I still haven't seen exactly what has been said I've just heard it on the radio.

I'm not surprised that other religious groups have spoken out saying other festivals weren't allowed to go on.

It would be nice to see family over xmas, we've told the mother in law she is welcome but that we understand if she doesn't feel like coming, this is why I'm hoping the schools close a week or so early,  that way you know there is little chance of you passing anything on to a relative. 

But no doubt the pubs will be rammed and it will be back on the merry go round come January. 

xmas is my household has always been mrs and kids for dinner  evening guests welcome extended families friends etc the more the merrier        boxing day daughters birthday free house  bigger whoop        i have been shielding from the start and careful in my actions as   mrs and kids tell me off   many times     this year my household  and my son and girlfriend if ok    if crook wont   come   they  have already told me      a phone call to mother in Galway  on the day  as the last thirty years   i have  mrs  one son and two daughters at home     i would like to see my oldest son and girlfriend who should have been married in the summer      now next summer  spend the day with us  i havnt seen them since lockdown despite 20 min walking    we chat a few times a week on the phone they have to work in an environment that could cause me problems     so they are very cautious    and i hate they have to protect me    thats my job to protect my kids 

43 minutes ago, Saltings said:

we chat a few times a week on the phone they have to work in an environment that could cause me problems     so they are very cautious    and i hate they have to protect me    thats my job to protect my kids

Once you and your kids get to a certain age they definitely should be looking out for you  and the fact that they are doing means you raised them right 👍

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Once you and your kids get to a certain age they definitely should be looking out for you  and the fact that they are doing means you raised them right 👍

thank you i have always taught respect  but i am too young for then to look after me its still my job to my last breath 

It is crazy lock down down one week meetup the next just nuts. Fact is very few count households. It is just Christmas not worth lives 
He is spouting on the news now use it in a sensible way which just won't happen for the most part same as most pubs. A lot of local cases came via pubs and one of them was run very well but still loads caught it. So yea loads of drink and family get togethers sure to go well 

Edited by captainhastings

On 23/11/2020 at 15:55, Vince Green said:

its a bit like saying between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day you don't have to wear a seatbelt, or stick to the speed limit. Everyone knows people will die as a result 

Good analogy!

After extensive discussions amongst those elements of the family who would normally congregate here (where there are 3 separate 'older generation family groups' that live close by each other and adequate room to accommodate the others), - this year we will all wait until Easter (well that's the plan, but we will see what Easter brings) to physically meet up.  Too much risk of the various young generation family members (school ages) inadvertently and asymptomatically carrying the virus ..........

Personally - I made no input (I have no children myself, only cousins nieces and nephews)- but agree entirely their decision is a sensible outcome.  We all expect to be still around at Easter (and beyond), but those of us who are older would very possibly not get this so mildly - who knows?