Parker hale rifle project

foxbasher

Evening all, I've got a project rifle here that in my eyes is "almost" what I've been working on but I've hit a snag. I bought the gun after it had been sat in the back of a gun cabinet for about 20 years, the action barrel and bluing was good but the stock was tired. I refinished the woodwork and replaced the butpad as it looked like a jellybaby that had been under the sofa for a few years. I'm happy with the finish now and have replaced the std Parker hale bases with weaver ones to aid in a wider range of scope mounting. 

The problem I'm facing now is that the bolt handle comes very close to the scope body when you open it to cock the rifle. There's no contact but it's still uncomfortable. It looks like the bolt handle curves up more than it needs to and I'm wondering if it's possible to straighten it slightly. It looks like there's already room in the stock to accommodate this but I'm reluctant to put a torch to it and attempt it myself. 

Uploading photos now

IMG_20201216_193343_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193143_copy_780x585.jpg

IMG_20201216_193208_copy_780x585.jpg

IMG_20201216_193248_copy_780x585.jpg

IMG_20201216_193307_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193030_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193039_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193057_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20201216_193117_copy_780x1040.jpg

A gunsmith could do it with a MAPP or oxy acetylene torch. If you do it yourself you need to ensure the heat is localised to the bolt handle. Then it's a case of bending it as much as needed then buff out any marks and tidy the finish...Maybe have the bolt nicely jewelled? If you aren't comfortable in your metalworking then best left to a gunsmith

More details on the rifle would be nice, calibre etc, lovely classic looking rifle 

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

I would take my disc cutter and flatten that ##### great big knob down to a paddle handle, polish and add a bit of chequering top and bottom.   The older Birmingham made Parker Hales where great rifles. They made some very good barrels. My 'work' sniper rifle was a Parker Hale and was still shooting sub moa after 14yrs.

Well worth doing up and looking after.

To be honest I do like it as it is in the interest of keeping it traditional but it is a little snug on the scope if a swift follow up shot is needed. 

As far as im aware its a Parker hale 1200 deluxe in .243 the bore and crown is mint and it looks to have had very few shots through it from new. I had the muzzle screw cut to 1/2"unf at rakers in petersfield for a sound mod, i bought an ase sl5 ultra  for the rifle but want to change it as it destroys the look of the gun compared to a reflex mod. 

When I got it, the stock had a nasty varnish/laquer finish on it so I stripped it off and gave it 9 coats of Liberton finishing oil. It didn't come out too bad, I left the odd dent or ding here or there as this was just part of its working life

True, I'm happy enough with the bolt knob. It just bugs me that it's so close to the scope when open. When you rack the bolt the scope seems to get in the way as the bolt stem feels and looks to curve up a little too much. It's no biggy but it's about the only thing that anoys me about the rifle now. Just wish the last half inch of the bolt stem was angled down slightly to give a little more relief and follow the contour of the stock inlet a bit better. The Parker hale/mauser bolt actions are a little bit "sloppy" so this does tend to exaggerate the scope clearance a bit more

Edited by foxbasher

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Very nice. Personally I’d leave it as is. 

This. Or very carefully have the bolt knob ground all around to become either a "teardrop" or a waisted sphere the "waist" of which you then can leave or checker. Personally I'd just get a 'scope with a less "fat" eyepiece if you want more clearance....but I also ask if it works as it then be confident that it'll continue to work as it is. Just fine! 

I think a change of scope is the best, least problematic option. If you don't want to change the scope or haven't got one handy try reloading by palming the bolt knob. Push it up with the heel of your palm, rack it back with the outside edge of your hand and then push it forward and lock it down with the base of your thumb. I've got a similar model in 270 flavour, I dont worry too much about cycling the bolt because anything it hits falls over 😂 I only ever needed a 2nd shot on a deer and that's because I shot straight over the top of it! 

I've messed around with a few scopes and different mounts hence the weaver bases. Any mounts higher than the ones on here feel a little awkward. Originally I wanted a compact scope like the simmons wtc 1.5-5x20 but couldn't get my hands on one or somthing of similar quality for the same money. Most of my shooting in south hants is woodland and small paddock based so there's no real need for high mag scopes for ranges beyond 100 yds