Good when a company cares for it staff NOT.

fse10

So all of HQ staff & sales teams working from home. But delivery  staff still having to go in customers house's. Few of us voiced fears about this. MD & HR manger had a meeting about this, and have said as the gov guide lines say trades man can work in other peoples house's then it's fine for us to do so. But as i'm a white goods delivery driver who has to disconnect & install washers & cookers etc don't think we would be classed as trades man as i feel the trades man part of the guide lines are for plumbers sparkies to fix emergency issues. As we have one driver in hospital with the vid & the depot manager & two supervisors off with it & myself having a family friend who past away two days ago from it was only 50 and fit as a butchers dog. I think the company are taking the mick, or am i just being a nimby.

Being nimby, but understandably so. It’s worrying times and with so much guidance out there it’s difficult to know whether what you are doing is right or wrong.

if I had to go in to other peoples houses to work, I’d make sure I wore mask and disposable gloves plus plenty of hand sanitiser.

i work in construction and we have worked solidly after a few weeks site closure during the first lockdown back in April. Lots of people working close to each other all day every day and it’s tough to manage! We also have vulnerable people on our sites they still need to work following government guidelines.

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

You could argue that they are doing the best for their staff by keeping working and keeping people employed.  They could just pack it all in and you’d be out of a job. Would you rather that? Just take sensible precautions. 

That is the key thing.

There are really three options.

1. You don’t like it jack it in and take your chances finding something else.

2. You employer doesn’t like it and decides to pack it in, you still have to take your chances and hope to get something else.

3. Keep working and getting a wage, unlike millions of others, and do all you can to keep yourself safe.

Personally i’d take option 3 all day every day.

@fse10 I'd ask are you being supplied with full PPE, do you have a mask, apron and gloves for each house you visit?

I can understand you would be worried going into people's house's you don't know,  have you been given any instructions/ training on doing things differently?

Maybe ask for a temperature gun, not perfect but you could at least check people don't have a temperature before you enter their house?

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

So all of HQ staff & sales teams working from home. But delivery  staff still having to go in customers house's. Few of us voiced fears about this. MD & HR manger had a meeting about this, and have said as the gov guide lines say trades man can work in other peoples house's then it's fine for us to do so. But as i'm a white goods delivery driver who has to disconnect & install washers & cookers etc don't think we would be classed as trades man as i feel the trades man part of the guide lines are for plumbers sparkies to fix emergency issues. As we have one driver in hospital with the vid & the depot manager & two supervisors off with it & myself having a family friend who past away two days ago from it was only 50 and fit as a butchers dog. I think the company are taking the mick, or am i just being a nimby.

I'd class you as an 'Essential Worker'. Having the use of all white goods is an essential part of life, especially now.

Your company should have a protocol in place for when you and your colleagues have to spend time in people's houses.

I work in the Building Industry in the Insurance Repair sector, and 'we' have to work regularly in people's houses, sometimes all day [8 hours]. If we as a company aren't seen to take every possible precaution, during any works actually, which includes all necessary PPE, it can be taken as Gross Misconduct.

Good luck and keep safe 👍

Edited by JKD
Extra info

HQ and Sales staff are able to work from home (if they can carry on their sales) and I think that's fair enough.

To be blunt your job clearly can't be done from home. 

Your company can either furlough you (but the rest of the company is working, and it seems they'd be unlikely to continue sales without you delivering and fitting the goods) or keep you in work. 

If you don't agree with the company you don't have to work there to be blunt. A hell of a lot of people are about to be out of work. If you have health conditions etc. then you might want to seriously consider jacking it in, if not carry on as usual.

I have continued in work this entire time, going into people's homes, assessing people's mental health on hospital wards and in high traffic covid areas. The show must go on. 

To put the cherry on it, I got told I am getting a pay freeze, but nurses will get a pay rise because they carried on working ... 

I am just glad I still have a job and can pay the mortgage in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

no point having. a wage if your not here to spend it 

You can always pack your job in just to be on the safe side. Coming out the other side of the pandemic having lost your house and ruined your credit rating for the rest of your life. 

Decisions, decisions. 

If your in a financial position to sit at home with your feet up until this all blows over more power to you. 

After the initial madness I gave my staff the option, carry on or be put on furlough. They all chose to carry on a 25 year old man was the one who made most complaint. I told him “Listen, I’m the one going out to site meetings every day. My wife is in a school with 2000. We’ve got three children to look after. You are perfectly fit, 25 and live with your girlfriend. If you don’t make it I’ll sort your cats out”. 

12 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

After the initial madness I gave my staff the option, carry on or be put on furlough. They all chose to carry on a 25 year old man was the one who made most complaint. I told him “Listen, I’m the one going out to site meetings every day. My wife is in a school with 2000. We’ve got three children to look after. You are perfectly fit, 25 and live with your girlfriend. If you don’t make it I’ll sort your cats out”. 

Brilliant!!!!🤣

I'm a self employed tradesman (multi trade) and the majority of my work is domestic. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to claim the government grants. So what do I do? Turn down all of the work and sit at home happy in the knowledge the tax payer is feathering my nest? Or don't claim the grants and go to work and maintain a customer base. I think I know what the pw community would rather I do. With the amount of work and enquiries I am getting I also think it would be immoral of me to just sit at home, not to mention fraudulent. 

3 minutes ago, jonny long shanks said:

I'm a self employed tradesman (multi trade) and the majority of my work is domestic. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to claim the government grants. So what do I do? Turn down all of the work and sit at home happy in the knowledge the tax payer is feathering my nest? Or don't claim the grants and go to work and maintain a customer base. I think I know what the pw community would rather I do. With the amount of work and enquiries I am getting I also think it would be immoral of me to just sit at home, not to mention fraudulent. 

Yes I think you are absolutely correct. 

Well done.

my two sons  daughter and mrs have no choice  self employed and not eligible for help  so have worked through  out  no choice     covid secure work environment and home  no jolly's    no raves   house partys    food shoping and home         as my immunity is shot shielding all year  havnt  been out  only to the shed  anniversary  in sept             think of nhs  doctors    nurses     careers    ambulance crews   shop assistants  butchers   grocers   market traders  uber taxies / eats     no choice         there is always someone worse off than yourself           if you open your eyes      (open them  )         while fighting cancer there was always someone worse than me        im lucky  many others are not   be safe have a good Christmas and thank your blessings          can i ask you pay a kindness forward  do a selfless act for someone less fortunate  instead of whine   take some presents  from the tree or food from the freezer  to help a neighbor      old dear    out            your choice    do some good   invite an old dear round   stop whining bitch do some good     help someone  you selfish ********     invite a less fortunate   to a dinner  and act of kindnes  is lacking 

Edited by Saltings

On 23/12/2020 at 23:35, WalkedUp said:

im thinking dosser     am with you sack the ****** 

On 24/12/2020 at 07:17, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not NIMBY, more numpty!

I wont tell you what i think off that comment as i don't know you plus i'd get a ban. But i will still be doing my job but as my uncle has just died from it yesterday doesn't make it an easy call.

Just crack on; make sure you take all sensible precautions and crack on. I’ve worked right through since March, as has every self employed tradesman I know. 
If people are willing to have me in their homes then it would be stupid to turn them down. 
You can still claim via the HMRC, dependant on when you started trading. 

Its only a choice you can make based on your general health/ the precautions you take. We have been operating all the way through as we are an essential service as waste is still being produced. Our head office has closed again as they are in tier 4 but that's fine as you can do payroll from home but you cant drive a forklift or check waste from home its just the way it is.

The way I have looked at it is I am grateful to have a job and so is most of the site at the moment to be fair its a lot safer going to work at the moment than risking Tesco in my opinion. After having been shopping a few times over the past couple of weeks its more of a risk at peak times there than anywhere.

I currently thank god I am not in the entertainment/ hospitality industry as even with furlough that must be a body blow with mass layoffs almost inevitable when furlough does end.