More restrictions possible in England (and Wales)

discobob

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

There are four in town; I drive to the one I prefer, but don’t we all? 🙂

I have never measured the distances, but all 3 for me are I would guess in between 4 and 5 miles - and apart from the last mile - all reached by the same journey. 

What would be 'unreasonable' would seem to me to either drive past several and go much further to the 'preferred' - or to visit more than one similar in the same trip because you prefer the coffee from one brand and the tea from another - for example!  I try and limit my trips and typically only go to a supermarket about once every 10 to 14 days ........ whereas 12 months ago it would have been every 4 or 5 days probably.

I have one friend who (walks) miles to a Tesco supermarket because he likes the Tesco tea better than what he can get in his local Aldi, CoOp, Sainsburys at 1/4 the distance.

Another local I know goes 3 or 4 times a week, because 'she doesn't know what they may want to eat' in 3 days time!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have one friend who (walks) miles to a Tesco supermarket because he likes the Tesco tea better than what he can get in his local Aldi, CoOp, Sainsburys at 1/4 the distance.

Another local I know goes 3 or 4 times a week, because 'she doesn't know what they may want to eat' in 3 days time!

And until better definition is offered long may he do so!

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I would say in any 'reasonable opinion'. 

Most 'reasonable opinions' would not regard 100 miles as 'local' (unless you happen to live in the Australian outback!)

Not really, I can do a 25+ mile loop of the town without going more than 6 miles from home (at it's furthest point) so 4 loops would achieve this.

20 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

In the news today, Morrisons are to ban people who don't wear masks. Great, but I can't think why this wasn't the case when masks were made compulsory. In our local shops I've not seen anyone flouting it particularly. West Dorset's pretty low on the Covid outbreak scale of doom, too, unlike East Dorset. Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch are really letting the county side down!

In my local Morrison’s it’s the staff wearing them around their chin that winds me up . My 5 year old daughter wears a mask . 

6 hours ago, old man said:

A revival of the ducking stool could provide a reasonable penalty and local amusement too, socially distanced wearing masks of course?😂

well why not ,public hangings of politicians and landlords ,also bring back the rack for those that want to stretch their legs.🚷

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Hancock stated yesterday that you shouldn't travel across the country to exercise which repeats what Boris said previously.

There is nothing wrong with a 100 mile bike ride provided it's within the riders ability.

The radius of a circle with a 100 mile circumference is 16 miles.  So allowing for the wiggly shape you'd make on a map doing a 100 mile ride it's probably going to take you a bit more than 20 miles from home in places.  Possibly stretching what some people would call "local" but really who gives a monkey's?  Lots of people are capable of thinking like a grown up and deciding whether or not they can do what they'd like to do, without breathing and spitting all over other people.

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

The radius of a circle with a 100 mile circumference is 16 miles.  So allowing for the wiggly shape you'd make on a map doing a 100 mile ride it's probably going to take you a bit more than 20 miles from home in places.  Possibly stretching what some people would call "local" but really who gives a monkey's?  Lots of people are capable of thinking like a grown up and deciding whether or not they can do what they'd like to do, without breathing and spitting all over other people.

Our local 100 mile rides take us out about 30 miles north typically, still not an issue I feel.

Interestingly I can do a 30mile round trip to fish my syndicate lake on a daily basis but I’m not permitted under the rules to stay overnight. So a three day stint involves 90 miles rather than the normal 30. The major blow is that the fish seem to be feeding between 22:00 and 05:00 based on data from last month. 

21 hours ago, clangerman said:

catching speeders is fine when you can’t buy hard drugs on every street in the country or go out without finding your house is robbed or car stolen no wonder crime is out of control when their priority is enforcement of 20mph zone 

IF you were the one knocking on the door to tell someone that their loved one will NOT be coming home EVER, you may just change your mind  ??   When you are doing a stupid speed and a tree or lampost suddenly jump out in front of you, you stand no chance of avoiding them.

2 minutes ago, Westley said:

IF you were the one knocking on the door to tell someone that their loved one will NOT be coming home EVER, you may just change your mind  ??   When you are doing a stupid speed and a tree or lampost suddenly jump out in front of you, you stand no chance of avoiding them.

we are not talking high speeders here they are deliberately targeting the small roads on local housing estate you couldn’t get up to much more than 30 or so on with two stabbings and one shooting recently not being murdered is more important to residents than enforcing a 20mph zone 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

we are not talking high speeders here they are deliberately targeting the small roads on local housing estate you couldn’t get up to much more than 30 or so on with two stabbings and one shooting recently not being murdered is more important to residents than enforcing a 20mph zone 

A pedestrian hit at 20mph stands a far better chance of living than someone potted at 30 mph    PLUS  !   I very much doubt the stabbings and the shooting were just random attacks so the neighbourhood can sleep peacefully, just tell them to be extra careful when crossing the road, it is likely that vehicle is exceeding the speed limit  !      🤔

10 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Yes i agree but if you don't try and eradicate it its not going to eradicate its self there is a vaccine  now that will help provide some immunity so hopefully you wont die if people just give it a little more time. There is light at the end of the tunnel 

It wont be eradicated, itll be endemic, we will just have to live with it. If the NHS wasnt constantly on its knees we could vaccinate those required and crack on.

The gaslighting of the public from the government needs to stop and proper management and funding of the NHS neess to be put in place.

We cant keep having the NHS as a reason that the whole country plummits.

2 hours ago, Pangolin said:

It wont be eradicated, itll be endemic, we will just have to live with it. If the NHS wasnt constantly on its knees we could vaccinate those required and crack on.

The gaslighting of the public from the government needs to stop and proper management and funding of the NHS neess to be put in place.

We cant keep having the NHS as a reason that the whole country plummits.

The NHS is doing its best with what they got no matter how much funding you put into it they cant cope with the amount of people going down with this new strain of virus and  a lot of people aint doing what is asked of them which is over stretching the NHS   and i did say try and eradicate never said we would 

Thats the problem, their best isnt good enough as its poorly managed and always at capacity. They need to change the record.

The new strain and people not following the rules is just the type of rubbish the government peddle and exaggerate to cover for their poor handling of it all.

Edited by Pangolin

2 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Thats the problem, their best isnt good enough as its poorly managed and always at capacity. They need to change the record.

The new strain and people not following the rules is just the type of rubbish the government peddle and exaggerate to cover for their poor handling of it all.

What you mean there best isn't good enough tell that to poor nurses and doctors that have struggled there guts out to save lives doing god knows how many hours a day not having days off and you say they not doing there best The swear filter wont let me say to you what i would really like to

Edited by Rim Fire

15 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

What you mean there best isn't good enough tell that to poor nurses and doctors that have struggled there guts out to save lives doing god knows how many hours a day not having days off and you say they not doing there best The swear filter wont let me say to you what i would really like to

Swear at me if you want but just because youre angry doesn't change the fact its mismanaged and always struggling.

8 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Swear at me if you want but just because youre angry doesn't change the fact its mismanaged and always struggling.

You do realise just how big the NHS is don't you?

Unfortunately any big company has layers of management and people who aren't pulling their weight. 

But I'd say the front line NHS are doing a fantastic job,  and this country would be in a far worse position without the NHS.

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You do realise just how big the NHS is don't you?

Unfortunately any big company has layers of management and people who aren't pulling their weight. 

But I'd say the front line NHS are doing a fantastic job,  and this country would be in a far worse position without the NHS.

To right i know one thing they done all they could for my mate but sadly he passed this morning and i can honestly say they did all they could 

4 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

To right i know one thing they done all they could for my mate but sadly he passed this morning and i can honestly say they did all they could 

Sorry to hear that,  many haven't been affected directly so still seem to think it's all some government plot to stop us enjoying ourselves.