Derbyshire Rural Crime Team FB Post - Firearms seized due to FAC holders conduct

tonyshooter

Derbyshire Police Rural Crime team have posted this on FB.

"Over the last few weeks the Rural Crime Team have seized approximately 30 firearms from Derbyshire residents owing to their conduct and concern over their suitability to be firearms certificate holders.

In Derbyshire there is and always has been intense scrutiny and robust safeguarding around firearms licensing, systems are in place to protect the public 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

The public and in particular firearms certificate holders should be under no illusion that should evidence come to light that an individual is no longer suitable to hold a certificate, their firearms and certificate will be seized by officers and a comprehensive review conducted by our Firearms Licencing Team to establish if that person’s certificate should be revoked. The key word in that sentence is “evidence” all cases will be thoroughly investigated and firearms holders can be confident that the outcome will be evidence based. Any offences involving violence and alcohol or any incident that calls into question the persons fitness to possess firearms will likely result in them being seized.

Can we make it clear to all those who hold firearms certificate and to those who are considering applying for a certificate, your conduct matters and swift, robust action will be taken if your suitability is called into question. The issuing of a firearms certificate is a privilege not a right and we need to be confident that those who hold valid certificates are fit to do so
."

I give this my full support, as a responsible certificate holder.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Effectively they have awarded SGC's and FAC's and then reconsidered and withdrawn them.

No can't agree there  Dave. The person may have been judged fit at the onset but circumstances change.  I have come across this during my service where someone considered to be a solid as a rock suddenly breaks because of an incident.... sometimes marital, but there are occasions when circumstances are not fully looked into.  In my time Certificates went through the hands of local officers on the ground, simple village bobbies who knew everyone and their background.  Today the investigating officer may work 50 miles away as with the system in the West Mids/Staffs area for instance and they have no local feedback because the boots are not on the ground as they where 40 years ago.

I think this letter from Derbyshire is spot on.

10 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

There has been a lot of badger cull backlash from the antis in Derbyshire thus autumn. If they'd got hold of names and numbers then it's easy pickings for them to say shooters XYZ threatened to shoot them.

Very true it only takes someone to say and they will confiscate everything and do the inquiry later this has happened to my mate with his son who lives with him

11 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

There has been a lot of badger cull backlash from the antis in Derbyshire thus autumn. If they'd got hold of names and numbers then it's easy pickings for them to say shooters XYZ threatened to shoot them.

If this can be proven to have occurred - then the anti culling radical should be arrested for malicious misuse of police time. 

On 09/12/2021 at 12:53, Rob85 said:

Is this something to do with what fieldsports  news had up on Facebook? Just took a screenshot from their facebook

20211209_124915.jpg

I watched this on their youtube channel the other night.

In this poor chaps case he'd been through a nasty separation and had on going child access issues.

Guns removed with no warning or discussion.

I don't wish to trivialize how stressful separation/divorce can be, (twice divorced) but it goes to show how little "scope for upset" it takes for some forces to act first and ask questions later, or more likely never.

• 4 weeks later...