Sub sonic - High velocity

My .22LR rifle (CZ452) is used with sub sonic ammunition and is zeroed at 40 yards.(this is the range I shoot rabbits on one of my permissions) The other day, I was wondering what would the difference be if using high velocity ammunition at the same distance, so I tried it.

I set up my bench and rifle rest and tried the following. CCI BLAZER were very good, and I'm pleased with these as I've got almost 1000 rounds. WINCHESTER LASER (I've had these for many years) were hitting high, as were the REMINGON YELLOW JACKETS. The CCI MINI MAGS were also good. There was a stiff breeze at times, which didn't help.  I now intend to take the target out to 75 yards, and see how they go. As mentioned, my rifle is used with sub's but it will be good to know, once I test again, that I can use it with HV ammunition on ground feeding Corvids. 

1346244069_TARGETSTARGETS.jpg.a65377923141f4f1b4693acb119bb111.jpg

Edited by steve_b_wales

Be interesting to see if you find the same with Yellow Jackets that I did, rifle is the same CZ452 and zeroed at 70 yds with Winchester X 42 grain subs. 

When trying some Yellow Jackets they grouped well enough but an inch and a half low and an inch left of centre, two strings of five shots the same. 

CCI subs, 40 grain, shot pretty much the same as the Winchesters. 

Atb Steve. 

16 minutes ago, handy4454 said:

Be interesting to see if you find the same with Yellow Jackets that I did, rifle is the same CZ452 and zeroed at 70 yds with Winchester X 42 grain subs. 

When trying some Yellow Jackets they grouped well enough but an inch and a half low and an inch left of centre, two strings of five shots the same. 

CCI subs, 40 grain, shot pretty much the same as the Winchesters. 

Atb Steve. 

I'll try these again when I get chance.:good:

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Give the cci segmented a try .

They can be extremely  accurate in a 452 .

And they really put down quarry well when the split into 3 parts on impact .

Thanks. I'm sticking with the Winchester 40 gr subsonics at the moment as these are very accurate. I will get a box though to see what they're like.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, scouser said:

I use whinny and RWS subs no complaints, had some stingers so try’s them out in my 452, they patterned like a shotgun.

I've got some Stingers here. Hyper velocity I believe. I can't remember how they grouped though, and in what rifle I had then.

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

When I don't use either the .204 or .17hmr on longer range corvids I use these. Far far and away the best HV .22LR round i've tried. 

It will depend on your gun. I use an Anschutz or a Sako.

197_731.jpg  

It might be worth me getting a box to try, that's if my RFD stocks them.

35 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Interesting to see the pic re different groupings/bullets - thanks. How about picking a bullet (performance) that is consistent and nippy - then zero to that?

I don't want to alter the zero on my scope as the rifle is used subsonic ammunition. I have another 22LR that will be used with HV ammunition, I just wanted to see the difference between the subs and HV.

For me personally, 22LR is all about subsonic ammo because of it's lack of noise/disturbance. When I got my CZ452, I did the same things and was hoping that high velocity rounds would extend it's useful range. In my hands at least, I found the subsonic ammo more consistent at longer range (CCI Subsonic), so gave away the high velocity stuff. The only reason I would use high velocity 22LR ammo is if I wanted to take on larger animals. In the UK, I'm guessing that would be foxes. Over here, people do shoot wallabies, goats and even deer with it. Not for me though, too much risk of wounding and besides, it's easy to get bigger calibres, so why not!

15 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

When I don't use either the .204 or .17hmr on longer range corvids I use these. Far far and away the best HV .22LR round i've tried. 

It will depend on your gun. I use an Anschutz or a Sako.

197_731.jpg  

I found the same, these rws and sk hv hollow point. The hv eleys were good, but I don’t think they’ve been available for a while?

We have to remember that Stingers and the like are not originally intended to be used for shooting groups in rifles. They are not even intended to be used in rilfes. Its handgun ammunition

.22 handguns are the most common handguns found in private hands in USA. Used for home defence ammo like stingers will increase the stopping power of a .22 handgun by quite a lot compared to ordinary .22LR ammo.

Saying that, some rifles absolutely love Mini Mags, Stingers less so.

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Be careful using stingers in the M&P some models have a warning specifically about using stingers. Can't remember what models though.

I know this thread isn't about that rifle, but just in case.

Thanks. I remember reading about these in the users manual. 

57 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks. An interesting thread.

Thanks. As mentioned, I only did this purely out of interest. The targets used were homemade, and are ones that my grandson's made for when they use my air rifle. My CZ452, using Winchester 49gr sub's is very accurate, and at 40 yards, in the right conditions (no wind etc) I can put a 5 hole group in a 25mm circle. The hardest thing I find is keeping the rifle still enough.