Tips for batter (toad in hole)

ditchman

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

2 eggs, 100ml milk, 100g plain flour, or multiples there of.

Make well in advance and leave at room temperature. Get the fat very hot before adding the mixture, and most importantly, don't open the oven door once it is in the oven, until it is cooked.

can i add baking powder...for an extra frothy batter

reading up ...think the most important thing is "to let it rest for an hour or so "........and a nice preheated hot hot oven

might have a go in the next couple of days and post up the results if they are any good....

Edited by ditchman

I've found the bbc good food recipe for Yorkshire puddings is about the best. You can add herbs and fanny about with it  if you wish. The key I've found is in 3 parts 1. Use an electric hand blender. By christ it mixes it up and tbr air in the mixture makes for a lighter and more fluffly pud. 2. Make sure the oven and oil is as hot as it can be. Another 20 minutes warming up is worth it everytime 3. Fresh eggs. Makes a big difference I've found. 

I've used plain and self raising flour,  messed with the mixture but the basic mix on their website (I never remember it, it just won't stick  in there) is there abouts right. 

Not rocket science. If I had to pick 1 of my 3 things it would be temperature of the oil, its all important. Anything less than smoking hot will disappoint.