Another choke question

countryman

No choke at all is called Cylinder

If you divide 1 by 8 you get 1/8 (also called Skeet)
2/8 = 1/4 (also called Improved Cylinder)
4/8 which is 1/2 - often called Modified
6/8 is also called 3/4 or Improved Modified
8/8 is Full - Americans have a tighter Extra full which English sporting didn't fully adopt.

1 minute ago, miki said:

If you divide 1 by 8 you get 1/8 (also called Skeet)
2/8 = 1/4 (also called Improved Cylinder)
4/8 which is 1/2 - often called Modified
6/8 is also called 3/4 or Improved Modified
8/8 is Full - Americans have a tighter Extra full which English sporting didn't fully adopt.

Thank you for that, I am getting a new gun this week, going back to basics if you like, no multi adjustment on the gun, just a gun that fits nice. I have spent to much time fiddling with the adjustments and chokes.

10 hours ago, Gunman said:

Modified 😡 is an American term and should not be in the UK👍.Different countries have different standards of the degree of choke and there measurements do differ from those we consider normal in the UK 

Unfortunately the English language in general is being modified (no pun intended) so that we all speak American.

Slightly off topic, I bought a new phone and it required the input of which English language I spoke. 🤔🙄 Absolutely outrageous. 

3/8th and 5/8th. All you’ll ever need. Best all round combination out there in my opinion. 🙂

I have several fixed choke guns, from cylinder to full and extra. There are obviously occasions which suit a particular situation more than others, and I’ve shot driven grouse as a clay set up very successfully with full and full, and Sportrap with the same success, and Westlands high tower with skeet, but I think the only time I’ve felt at a disadvantage was a round of skeet with a trap gun. I know some who can manage it, but I’m not one of them. 
As the saying goes, you’re either on em or you’re not. 
Given the choice, I’d go 3/8th and 5/8th every time. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

3/8th and 5/8th. All you’ll ever need. Best all round combination out there in my opinion. 🙂

I have several fixed choke guns, from cylinder to full and extra. There are obviously occasions which suit a particular situation more than others, and I’ve shot driven grouse as a clay set up very successfully with full and full, and Sportrap with the same success, and Westlands high tower with skeet, but I think the only time I’ve felt at a disadvantage was a round of skeet with a trap gun. I know some who can manage it, but I’m not one of them. 
As the saying goes, you’re either on em or you’re not. 
Given the choice, I’d go 3/8th and 5/8th every time. 

Or, L/M and I/M.  Also you may find that a CG chokes are tighter/looser than other maker's chokes.

16 hours ago, miki said:

Yes there is. Some call it True Cylinder but we in the gun making world call it cylinder. If you properly measure a barrels choke with a proper choke gauge and it reads .000 then it is cylinder.  0 divided by 0 = 0. Not sure why you would want that but they are out there on a lot of the guns I have worked on. 

I agree though that if it's got some choke then it can't at all be cylinder but the term cylinder choke does exist. 

53 minutes ago, miki said:

Now you're just being awkward  :)

4 hours ago, Fil said:

Yes there is. Some call it True Cylinder but we in the gun making world call it cylinder. If you properly measure a barrels choke with a proper choke gauge and it reads .000 then it is cylinder.  0 divided by 0 = 0. Not sure why you would want that but they are out there on a lot of the guns I have worked on. 

I agree though that if it's got some choke then it can't at all be cylinder but the term cylinder choke does exist. 

I'll wager next month's pension that none of them will throw a TC pattern

55 minutes ago, miki said:

Now you're just being awkward 

Not a total disaster, just depends on what you're after. Pattern 30g of No 6 to give 3/8 at 40 yards and you'll have 1/4 with 28g and 1/2 with 32g in terms of pellet count.

Similarly, 5/8 will give 1/2 and 3/4.

Fix the choke and change the cartridge.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Not a total disaster, just depends on what you're after. Pattern 30g of No 6 to give 3/8 at 40 yards and you'll have 1/4 with 28g and 1/2 with 32g in terms of pellet count.

Similarly, 5/8 will give 1/2 and 3/4.

Fix the choke and change the cartridge.

Or if it works for you just leave as is. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

:good:Which is what it's all about. I do prefer 1/4 by 3/4 by and large, but the 3 and 5 eights actual pattern from whatever nominal choke can be very flexible as shown.

One assumes Teague has taken out all the guess work, and patterned the chokes accordingly. 

24 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But the ONLY way to be sure is to use the pattern plate and get counting.

/\ This - and it will vary considerably with cartridges.  Any pattern with say Maker A one ounce fibre wad ......... will not be the same as Maker B one ounce fibre wad, and probably very different to any plastic wad.

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But the ONLY way to be sure is to use the pattern plate and get counting.

Would that make a difference?
Like I said, I’m assuming Teague/Briley have already done this, otherwise what’s the point? I have nothing more to go on to claim the 3/8th choke is what it claims to be, other than that is what I ordered. 
I don’t know of anyone who has the time ( nor the inclination ) to test to ascertain what pattern any particular choke is throwing with a multitude of cartridges. Most folk just want to go out and shoot.