cutting dogs nails ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

My dogs nails need cutting badly. They are black so can't see the quick. I was wondering could i use a dremel type tool for grinding

them down providing i do it gently. 

Thanks all.

Edited by samboy

Hi Samboy,

I have found this type of nail cutter very good and quick and easy to use, and has a guard to prevent you cutting too deep.

I purchased it as my daughters  American Bulldog claws sometimes grow very quickly, and he will sit and allow me to clip his front claws and dew claws, no problem.

He doesn’t like the sensation of the rotary type sander cutter tool ,so I purchased the the plier type as below off eBay and is not expensive.

BE4E0DC1-DD7F-42B7-AC0A-50BDA803825F.jpeg

19D21B78-8E32-404C-8AEF-42F001C44973.jpeg

6 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

Hi Samboy,

I have found this type of nail cutter very good and quick and easy to use, and has a guard to prevent you cutting too deep.

I purchased it as my daughters  American Bulldog claws sometimes grow very quickly, and he will sit and allow me to clip his front claws and dew claws, no problem.

He doesn’t like the sensation of the rotary type sander cutter tool ,so I purchased the the plier type as below off eBay and is not expensive.

BE4E0DC1-DD7F-42B7-AC0A-50BDA803825F.jpeg

19D21B78-8E32-404C-8AEF-42F001C44973.jpeg

Same as I use, easy and safe

When i read the topic heading i was thinking Dremel one of my dog freaks out with clippers and the other has black nails i get them to lie down on a small wall in the garden and pull up a chair and off i go . I think my dremel was only about £20 and i bought another packet of heads for it from Aldi for a couple of quid one of mine broke a nail and it now grows in squint and if you dont watch it , it seems to curl into the pad and with the clippers i was taking a fair chunk off it now its easier to take it back 

12 hours ago, Grandalf said:

You need to do a 'dummy' claw cut on pups from about three months old.   With suitable rewards for good behaviour it just becomes a part of normal life.

When you have to do it for real it's no problem at all.

This. 

I have just been holding paws with our Lab Buster, (I know soppy) from a puppy i have messed about with his toes, ears and eyes, Buster couldn't give a monkeys now what you you do. It makes it so easy checking him over after a shoot day for thorns etc. 

As for clipping nails, if they need doing the vet can do them for a tenner a time, but thats only been once in 5 years. 

10 hours ago, Dougy said:

This. 

I have just been holding paws with our Lab Buster, (I know soppy) from a puppy i have messed about with his toes, ears and eyes, Buster couldn't give a monkeys now what you you do. It makes it so easy checking him over after a shoot day for thorns etc. 

As for clipping nails, if they need doing the vet can do them for a tenner a time, but thats only been once in 5 years. 

Dougy,   Nice to hear you are still with us...   I learnt the hard way with dogs back when I was breeding and training labs in fair numbers.   I learnt from the Memsahib who was doing the same with horses.    If you don't 'handle' foals on a very regular basis then you will have enormous problems when they realise just how big they are and how small you are.

On 26/11/2022 at 22:55, ditchman said:

have a hotsoldering iron handy...incase you cut too deep the blood willpee out and a quick dab with it will seal it.....i had a jack russell once ...to cut its nails ...you have to wear full body armour and kill it and shove it down a gum boot..............

😂😂😂😂