Teslas not charging in the cold

243deer

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The parking is pretty much the same where we spent Christmas day at our son's in Thames Ditton. Last year there was a family a few doors along who had 5 cars, 2 of them electric, and the consequent cables draped across the pavement. They've moved out now but parking is still a matter of luck as very few of the homes have off street parking and those are mostly single vehicle spaces. There are about 100 homes in that street and as far as I could tell not a single EV.

London and the south east has 10s of thousands of such streets and it's the same story in every city and town across the country.

Further down the lane where we live there are 2 terraces of 6 cottages built for the mill workers in the 19th century. They are built at right angles to the lane and only 2 of the 12 can park on their own property. Parking all their vehicles in a narrow lane is a daily problem that affects/annoys properties well away from the terraces.

Installing charge points in street lamps won't work there either as there are only 2 and they're on the wrong side of the road. 

Perhaps the scientific "experts" who accidently created the greatest hoax in history might consider applying some real science to climate change and stop guessing that it's carbon dioxide emissions.

Science.....

image.gif.4c480176344f5afd2280873ed71d14d4.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes agreed

when I used to have a house in South Wales, all the front doors opened onto the pavements. There must be millions of houses like that. No way can it ever work for them either

This has not been thought through at all. If its obvious to us why isn't it obvious to those pushing it forward.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Science.....

image.gif.4c480176344f5afd2280873ed71d14d4.gif

Dead right.

Real science assesses the data before deciding what the result is. As it is we all have to live with the consequences of the stupid Nett Zero nonsense thanks to so called scientists who assumed it must be CO2 "Because we can't think what else it could be".

And all the time it's hiding in plain sight above their heads.

First of all, if a given EV is not charging in the cold, that's a fault, not a bug.  The Norwegians have embraced them wholehartedly, so if they couldn't charge in the cold, we'd have heard about it.

I thought this video was quite interesting.  To be clear, towing 4500 kg at 75 mph on the interstate is unlikely to be reflective of real world conditions in Europe, but it does make it rather obvious why EV pick ups are not likely to be much of a 'thing' with current generation battery technology.

2 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

So much for leccie cars, electric car battery factory closes down in U.K. hundreds made redundant, The futures so bright, you gotta wear shades!

invest in gravy futures..........you know it makes sense ..........its a bear market for gravy at the moment

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Quite an interesting take on a trial with an electric (Volvo as it happens, but the brand doesn't really matter) car in my local rag.  I'm not in a position to check the facts, but it is quite surprising to me.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/how-easy-charge-electric-car-8038662

Good article, another reason for me not to buy one.

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

invest in gravy futures..........you know it makes sense ..........its a bear market for gravy at the moment

Sold my Bisto shares years ago.

These threads do make me laugh. Pages and pages of utter nonsense about EVs from people who haven’t driven one.

So, let’s start with:

1. I don’t care about the environment or an EV’s green credentials

2. I don’t have shares or a financial interest in any EV or EV supply chain related industry 

3. I don’t even own an EV so it’s not like I’ve made a financial decision or commitment which I feel obliged to back 

4. If you want to plough a field get a tractor, if you want to chug a van full of tools get a commercial van or vehicle that’s not EV, if you are a professional courier, taxi driver or regularly drive hundreds and hundreds of miles don’t get an EV

5. if you live in a block of flats or refuse to charge your EV at home, then don’t get one and know that charging an EV at home is way way cheaper than petrol or diesel. They are computers on wheels and the KpH consumption truth is out there.

I post about EVs to just push back on the never ending stream of total and utter ******** that the media and people spew.

And now I direct you to the average commuter distance in miles and underline why people should get an EV. 

Also have a Google the you tube videos of actual EV owners (real people) running the heaters and electric heated seats in their EVs.

0A738042-8767-40CA-AE9E-717C5ADDF8EA.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mungler said:

These threads do make me laugh. Pages and pages of utter nonsense about EVs from people who haven’t driven one.

So, let’s start with:

1. I don’t care about the environment or an EV’s green credentials

2. I don’t have shares or a financial interest in any EV or EV supply chain related industry 

3. I don’t even own an EV so it’s not like I’ve made a financial decision or commitment which I feel obliged to back 

4. If you want to plough a field get a tractor, if you want to chug a van full of tools get a commercial van or vehicle that’s not EV, if you are a professional courier, taxi driver or regularly drive hundreds and hundreds of miles don’t get an EV

5. if you live in a block of flats or refuse to charge your EV at home, then don’t get one and know that charging an EV at home is way way cheaper than petrol or diesel. They are computers on wheels and the KpH consumption truth is out there.

I post about EVs to just push back on the never ending stream of total and utter ******** that the media and people spew.

And now I direct you to the average commuter distance in miles and underline why people should get an EV. 

Also have a Google the you tube videos of actual EV owners (real people) running the heaters and electric heated seats in their EVs.

0A738042-8767-40CA-AE9E-717C5ADDF8EA.jpeg

Ah, but who are they surveying? 75% less than 10 miles? Wake up and smell the coffee. What about all the rural areas, where the commute is between 20 - 60 miles like where i am. Sorry but they wont catch on IMHO.

19 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Ah, but who are they surveying? 75% less than 10 miles? Wake up and smell the coffee. What about all the rural areas, where the commute is between 20 - 60 miles like where i am. Sorry but they wont catch on IMHO.

Population density is way way heavier in towns as opposed to the countryside.

Again, applying the above - if you don’t live in a town / urban environment, then an EV is not for you.

Those that know it all about electric vehicles can maybe answer these questions for me. Each year 2.6 million new cars are registered, that will be 13 million electric cars (unless some far better alternative is developed in the meantime) years 2030 - 2035. Will we be able to generate enough electricity considering that 5 out of our 6 nuclear power plants are due to be decommissioned by 2028 and we cannot generate enough for the UK now?

The world demand for copper is estimated to rise by 600% by 2030 with an inevitable rise in price, electric cars use 3 times as much copper as our current cars, will the cost not put electric cars out of the reach of low paid rural workers who do not have viable public transport alternatives?

Is 2030 really a realistic date for stopping all new sales of petrol and diesel engined vehicles?

Are electric vehicles really only going to be viable in terms of charging and cost for higher paid households with their own driveways, what would be your plan for the other 20 million households.

Ok so this popped up on my feeds today - this is one of the new 2023 Kia EV6 GT’s going round Nurburgring. This car will be car of the year for the foreseeable future.

This is a stock £50k on the road car (with a 7 year 100k mile warranty). It’s been built as an EV from the chassis up and so has 50/50 weight distribution and handles well despite being so heavy. It’s 0-60 is 3 seconds, top speed knocking 170 mph and it eats M3s, 911s, AMG Mercs for breakfast.

People moan that EVs are too expensive but comparatively they’re not. They afford even a teacher or a (well paid) train driver the means to stuff a £250,000+ super car at the lights. EVs are the embodiment of levelling up 😆

And once again for the hard of understanding, if you want to plough a field get a tractor and if you run a ‘to Scotland and back’ courier company then get a Ford Mondeo turbo diesel estate etc. 

Edited by Mungler

6 minutes ago, Mungler said:

People moan that EVs are too expensive but comparatively they’re not.

How can they possibly compete with my £1500 15 year old diesel that I get the absolute maximum number of miles from before it goes to the scrapyard? Let us have the figures please, most importantly including the annual depreciation which in itself will disprove your statement. Just as importantly the total amount of energy used per mile including the amount of energy used to create all the components. I realise that actually I am asking the impossible as these figures cannot be found yet as we have not had a meaningful number of electric cars running in all possible areas and conditions until such time as they are ready for scrapping.

What I am saying is that you are spouting the unprovable propaganda you have been fed just as much as the folk who disbelieve some of the facts about electric cars.

4 hours ago, 243deer said:

How can they possibly compete with my £1500 15 year old diesel that I get the absolute maximum number of miles from before it goes to the scrapyard? Let us have the figures please, most importantly including the annual depreciation which in itself will disprove your statement. Just as importantly the total amount of energy used per mile including the amount of energy used to create all the components. I realise that actually I am asking the impossible as these figures cannot be found yet as we have not had a meaningful number of electric cars running in all possible areas and conditions until such time as they are ready for scrapping.

What I am saying is that you are spouting the unprovable propaganda you have been fed just as much as the folk who disbelieve some of the facts about electric cars.

Comparative to a new performance petrol / diesel car as I said in my post above.

Can your £1500 diesel beat an M3 at the lights? No, because we are not evening attempting to measure apples with apples.

My ‘propaganda’ is based on using an EV everyday for over a year. What’s your wisdom and experience of driving an EV? I’m interested to know.

Edited by Mungler

55 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Can your £1500 diesel beat an M3 at the lights?

Unlike you I do not see the roads as a racetrack.

I have no experience of driving and EV car and will likely never be able to afford one but you can tell me exactly how much your depreciation was in a year. You very conveniently avoid answering my direct questions and I see no reference to new cars above.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Unlike you I do not see the roads as a racetrack.

I have no experience of driving and EV car and will likely never be able to afford one but you can tell me exactly how much your depreciation was in a year. You very conveniently avoid answering my direct questions and I see no reference to new cars above.

An EV car is not for you then. There we go.

Wonder why they’re selling so many now? Maybe that’s because they’re perfect for other people who aren’t you?