TK421

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Max 2 cartridges in a semi auto or pump action at my local ground. Not sure anyone would care too much, though tbh

Until someone with 3 in the gun, shoots two and walks off a stand and potentially shoots an innocent individual. There are good reasons that Shooting Grounds normally limit to two shells in a gun.

• 3 months later...

i have shot my little pump action at my local ground and with practice you can shoot very quickly with it.but you do need to be rough with it to make it cycle.sounds like they were just not compitant with their equipment.mine only has a 24" barrel and no choke but i can still hit 75% of the clays.as for 3 carts in the gun i do not do that.have recently gone to a ground where the guy who runs it does not like semi,s but does allow you to shoot them.it is just a pain picking up the carts as you have to carry a magnet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2023 at 20:15, .357shooter said:

i have shot my little pump action at my local ground and with practice you can shoot very quickly with it.but you do need to be rough with it to make it cycle.sounds like they were just not compitant with their equipment.mine only has a 24" barrel and no choke but i can still hit 75% of the clays.as for 3 carts in the gun i do not do that.have recently gone to a ground where the guy who runs it does not like semi,s but does allow you to shoot them.it is just a pain picking up the carts as you have to carry a magnet.

Some find it a pain catching S x S and O/U ejected cartridges too  !  🙄

Blimey is this still going on?

Clay grounds actually employ people to pick up the ejected shells!

I catch mine and place them in the bin provided like 85% I would guess.

I do not catch any of my shells when shooting game, I simply pick the empties up after the drive.

It’s no biggie either holding a hand over the ejectors or picking them up after you’ve done at a clay ground. 
On a driven day we let them fly and pick them up when the horn goes. 
On BIG shoot we are issued with bags to pick up those of ‘clients’. 🙂

On 22/08/2023 at 08:52, Scully said:

It’s no biggie either holding a hand over the ejectors or picking them up after you’ve done at a clay ground. 
On a driven day we let them fly and pick them up when the horn goes. 
On BIG shoot we are issued with bags to pick up those of ‘clients’. 🙂

dont you do the stylish thing and let the ejectors fire them forwards and into the bin ? nothing like hitting a tricky sim pair and then getting both cartridges into the bin too :) 

On 21/08/2023 at 20:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey is this still going on?

Clay grounds actually employ people to pick up the ejected shells!

I catch mine and place them in the bin provided like 85% I would guess.

I do not catch any of my shells when shooting game, I simply pick the empties up after the drive.

i was told

shooting school - let them fly and someone will pick them up 

clay ground - put them in the bin yourself 

as Skully said - its no great drama to catch them / stop them with your hand and put them in the bin. If i am out game shooting and its not too frantic i will do the same as a clay ground and put the empties in my other pocket ( saves scrabbling around in the nettles looking for cartridges) 

1 hour ago, quentyn said:

dont you do the stylish thing and let the ejectors fire them forwards and into the bin ? nothing like hitting a tricky sim pair and then getting both cartridges into the bin too  

i was told

shooting school - let them fly and someone will pick them up 

clay ground - put them in the bin yourself 

as Skully said - its no great drama to catch them / stop them with your hand and put them in the bin. If i am out game shooting and its not too frantic i will do the same as a clay ground and put the empties in my other pocket ( saves scrabbling around in the nettles looking for cartridges) 

When game shooting, I chuck the fired successful empty cases in front of me so I know how many birds I have to pick up. The misses go straight into my pocket. I used to have more on the floor than in my pocket at the end of a drive, but nowadays those numbers have changed places  !  😄

I (usually) take Mrs. L.B. with me, issued with a magnet stick and a cloth bag.
Her job is to count and pick up the empties into the bag she has in her pocket. If she is not there I count as I pick empties after the drive.
I count birds down as I shoot and rarely lose count. It is an exceptional drive if I do!

Actually, I bought her the magnet stick one Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

I got pulled for putting three in my semi auto at a ground once.

"Oi, don't put three in your gun"

"I'm not"

"Yes you are I've been watching"

"Well you're not too observant then are you"

"You fire two, then load two but you never chamber a round, that proves you have one the barrel"

"Come here.....see my bolt locked back, watch when I load the first road, it auto chambers.....hence I don't need to chamber." 

The gun in question is a Browning Maxus semi that loads the first round automatically.

I now use an Ithaca M37 pump all the time at the clay ground, never had any problems using it, it's great fun to shoot, perfectly acceptable where I shoot and I couldn't really give a fig what anyone else thinks about it.

On the subject of spent carts, usually, when I enter a stand I have to kick all the emptys out of the way before I start. I eject ten and probably pick up 20 most times!!!

19 hours ago, TbirdX said:

"Come here.....see my bolt locked back, watch when I load the first road, it auto chambers.....hence I don't need to chamber." 

The gun in question is a Browning Maxus semi that loads the first round automatically.

LOL! My two A-5, one on 12 the other in 16 do the same. The "speed load" feature is a real benefit. Except when ignorant idiots cajole at you for "loading three". 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BigFatHairyYeti said:

Just read through the whole thing as a semi auto shooter. And I'm new here so a lot to take in.

Welcome to PW.

Don't take too much of it in  !  I am sure you will get to witness, some of the totally unjustified prejudice concerning both pump action and semi auto shotguns from a section of fellow shooters. Very often they are the same ones that wave their guns about to eject their fired cases into the bin. I carry one of those magnetic stick things to pick up as many of my, (and others) fired cases. I also carry my gun in a slip, its easier and more protective to my gun.