Lead ammunition review extended by 6 months after 'overwhelming response'

The Health and Safety Executive has announced that it is moving the expected date of publishing its opinions along with a response to last year's lead ammunition restriction proposals consultation by six months due to what it described as an 'overwhelming response'.

There were 2,759 responses which the HSE states was nine times as many responses to a similar lead ammunition restrictions proposal consultation in the EU in 2021.

Many thanks to the PW members that took the time to submit a response to the consultation - whether a general comment or more detailed evidence.

Click the link below for the HSE press releease

https://press.hse.gov.uk/2023/01/05/hse-extends-lead-in-ammunition-restriction-process-by-six-months/

Click the links below for BASC's reaction to the HSE announcement

https://basc.org.uk/basc-responds-to-hse-lead-ammunition-restriction-extension/

https://basc.org.uk/where-does-hse-lead-ammunition-restriction-extension-leave-shooting/

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

An ‘overwhelming response’.
Over 1000,000 firearms owners in the UK, and less than 3000 of them could be bothered to respond! Ah well. 

indeed very disappointing really given it was online and free to do, you do wonder why so few bothered given the consequences of a total lead ban.

17 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

To be fair, most of those are not on this forum, and if I hadn't seen it here I'd have had no clue.....

Really? I’m not sure that’s a valid excuse is it? 
BASC has around 150,000 members; who knows how many the NGO have, then there’s the CPSA and all the other organisations! 
As a percentage of the BASC membership alone who must surely have been aware of the proposed ban if not the consultation, that’s 1.8% of members responded! 😀

We get everything we deserve, we really do. 

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Keep at it Connor, it's not going to go away, this is a mere lull in the battle whilst the opposition regroups and reloads.

They'll be busy now making up something emotive and again totally untrue.

Keep at what, rolling over or raising the white flag.  BASC are complicit in getting Lead banned.  They proposed a ban, did you miss that bit!!

Edited by Weihrauch17

1 hour ago, Scully said:

BASC has around 150,000 members; who knows how many the NGO have, then there’s the CPSA and all the other organisations! 
As a percentage of the BASC membership alone who must surely have been aware of the proposed ban if not the consultation, that’s 1.8% of members responded! 😀

So your saying 2759 wasted there time :good:

1 hour ago, Scully said:

There are a lot of shooters who are not members of those 3, and choose to get insurance elsewhere or not at all.
I am a member of CPSA and I did not get any email communications, and I do not read their mag cover to cover. 

If someone doesn't physically know a survey is happening, it's a very valid reason why they didn't do it! I only saw it on this forum as I am not a BASC member, I didn't get directly "targeted", and didn't see it in the magazine if it were there at all. 

I'm happy to support your comment that it's a shame on the BASC membership though ;) (said tongue in cheek only)

Well as one of the 2579 I am glad so many bothered and would be very happy if more did so.

I do still feel that we have been lead down the river by BASC and the other shooting organisations.

They really should have their Members interests at the front of their agenda and MUST LEARN TO CONSULT THEIR MEMBERS before leaping in to the abyss!

14 hours ago, HantsRob said:

There are a lot of shooters who are not members of those 3, and choose to get insurance elsewhere or not at all.
I am a member of CPSA and I did not get any email communications, and I do not read their mag cover to cover. 

If someone doesn't physically know a survey is happening, it's a very valid reason why they didn't do it! I only saw it on this forum as I am not a BASC member, I didn't get directly "targeted", and didn't see it in the magazine if it were there at all. 

I'm happy to support your comment that it's a shame on the BASC membership though ;) (said tongue in cheek only)

I appreciate your points, but also find it hard to believe that all of the UK’s shooting organisations  ( of which there are many ) except BASC have failed to inform their membership either by email or a letter headed magazine regarding the consultation. 
However, let’s just pretend for the moment that no one other than BASC members knew about the consultation. 
This would mean that even with that knowledge, only 1.72% of the membership responded! This means that a staggeringly massive 98.28% of whining, ( ‘that’s what I pay my membership fees for’, ‘someone else will do it’, ‘if you’re not a member then you’re part of the problem’ ) and whingeing BASC members couldn’t be bothered to respond! You couldn’t make this up, you really couldn’t! Will we never learn? 

The figures are even worse and diluted further when you take into account that there will be those who responded but aren’t BASC members, such as me. It’s not good whichever way you look at it. 

Edited by Scully

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

The figures are even worse and diluted further when you take into account that there will be those who responded but aren’t BASC members, such as me. It’s not good whichever way you look at 

It's even worse, some of those responding, would've be from the anti side, so further diluting the figures.

12 hours ago, 8 shot said:

So your saying 2759 wasted there time :good:

I didn’t say that at all. As one of the 2759 who could be bothered I didn’t feel I was wasting my time, but if that was considered ‘overwhelming’ one wonders what 10,000 would have brought us? Or 20,000 or even 30,000? That last figure isn’t even half of the BASC membership! 🙂

Edited by Scully

I think it’s only ‘overwhelming’ because it will burn more staff resource than anticipated. How the HSE respond to the so called public consultation (public appeasement could be a more accurate descriptor), is still entirely their call. This is when their recommendations will get very interesting ….. and our org’s will be tested to the full. 

Still good that they’ve been surprised by the number of respondents. It sends a message that they won’t have an easy time of it. However, I do share Scully’s disappointment that response numbers should have been much higher. 

i filled in the survey from a basc email,so i would asume many 1000s of others members did too.

Just now, hawkfanz said:

i filled in the survey from a basc email,so i would asume many 1000s of others members did too.

or least had the option of doing it.

48 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

or least had the option of doing it.

I filled it in also 

while doing it I thought that realistically Basc should have carried the voice and vote of all members and that should carry more weight than the individual survey I was completing 

obviously now that’s not how it works I’m wondering how many people thought the same 

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I filled it in also 

while doing it I thought that realistically Basc should have carried the voice and vote of all members and that should carry more weight than the individual survey I was completing 

obviously now that’s not how it works I’m wondering how many people thought the same 

If BASC went to any reasonably sensible discussion with the government and said this is the feeling of our 150,000 Members I would expect someone to challenge them on their figures!    :w00t:

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If BASC went to any reasonably sensible discussion with the government and said this is the feeling of our 150,000 Members I would expect someone to challenge them on their figures!    :w00t:

Well at least it would be noticed 🤭

although it seems other organisations didn’t even bother to give there members a opportunity 🤔