Weihrauch? Thoughts

wildfowler.250

Right gents I’m going to take a plunge and go for a HW100 thumbhole.

What I can’t decide is, am I better going for the regular length or the Karbine?

I was going to pluck for a .177 for a change of scenery from my springer unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

Whats a sensible price for the bare rifle through a shop second hand. Seen a few locally at £900 but there’s been full kits for £650-£700. Are these likely older models or is £900 quite steep?

Any thoughts pro or con on the rifle will be appreciated. I love the 77k so keen to stick with the brand as they seem well made.

Thanks!

I would go for the carbine you should get 50 shots between fills and silky smoot in operation, they tend to prefer H&N and Bisley pellets however mine is better with Superdome pellets. Never had any jams with magazines and the weight which is not untoward is usually to your advantage as a light rifle can be harder to keep on target.

People often find the full length version a bit front heavy hence why the carbine is more popular  50 shots is plenty for most scenarios. 

I dont think the hw100 has changed  much in design  over the years so an older one is the same as a new one .

Orings can get a bit brittle after maybe 10 years but if it's not been stripped and messed around with that shouldn't be a problem I've got guns nearly 20 years old on the original  orings because  I've not stripped them down they still hold air 100 %  

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

People often find the full length version a bit front heavy hence why the carbine is more popular  50 shots is plenty for most scenarios. 

I dont think the hw100 has changed  much in design  over the years so an older one is the same as a new one .

Orings can get a bit brittle after maybe 10 years but if it's not been stripped and messed around with that shouldn't be a problem I've got guns nearly 20 years old on the original  orings because  I've not stripped them down they still hold air 100 %  

Firstly thanks for all the replies, very appreciated!

I was going to say that everyone on here seems to be listing the karbine. This might explain why. Possibly the shorter barrel is more user friendly in a hide too.

I need to find somewhere that has the KT version for a handle then before committing to a purchase. Shame you can post them any more. Everyone I find seems to be the other end of the country

I can add that I've got an HW100 .177 full length sporter,,,, had it for 10 years now and it has never had a fault. Never had it serviced or changed o'rings. I used it quite a lot for the first 8 years and just cleaned and oiled it (externally) when necessary. I even banged it into the ground once, moderator first, when I slipped off a barred fence I was climbing over. Checked zero,,,, spot on and has been all the time I've owned it.

Edit to add,,,, I've never been troubled by its weight either. In fact I find it very well balanced.

Edited by JKD

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

need to find somewhere that has the KT version for a handle then before committing to a purchase. Shame you can post them any more. Everyone I find seems to be the other end of the country

You can still post, but you aren't insured for much, unless you do an RFD transfer instead.

A couple of shops still post out guns as well.

You don't read much bad about the HW100, with most saying it's the best magazine system ever.

12 hours ago, JKD said:

I can add that I've got an HW100 .177 full length sporter,,,, had it for 10 years now and it has never had a fault. Never had it serviced or changed o'rings. I used it quite a lot for the first 8 years and just cleaned and oiled it (externally) when necessary. I even banged it into the ground once, moderator first, when I slipped off a barred fence I was climbing over. Checked zero,,,, spot on and has been all the time I've owned it.

Edit to add,,,, I've never been troubled by its weight either. In fact I find it very well balanced.

Thanks! I’ll have a good look. Is the 100 full length more expensive? I’m seeing the standard version second hand for £900 without a scope.. and some shops are listing new karbines at that sort of money

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Avoid a 110 

What’s the difference exactly? I’ve heard the 110 has more plastic?

I assume everyone has just attached a QD stud at the front end themselves after purchasing if desired? It’s about the only thing I can find missing on the rifle. I do love a bipod for ambush hunting and being rock steady.

Thanks for the replies!

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks! I’ll have a good look. Is the 100 full length more expensive? I’m seeing the standard version second hand for £900 without a scope.. and some shops are listing new karbines at that sort of money

I assume everyone has just attached a QD stud at the front end themselves after purchasing if desired? It’s about the only thing I can find missing on the rifle. I do love a bipod for ambush hunting and being rock steady.

Thanks for the replies!

The sporter is cheaper than a  thumbhole and there are some stocks which have the raised cheek piece and some without. The HW 110 is a totally different gun, I believe it started of as the HW44 pistol. The cocking lever and mag release leaver can be swapper for left hand use and is more air efficient however the hammer spring can weaken quite quickly causing a considerable drop in power . The stock has steel sliders inserted for the hammer to run on and other parts simply run on the plastic itself which leaves me and others to the opinion it is not as high quality as the HW100. With regard to the stud for a bipod on the 100 you simply replace the front fixing bolt with a purpose made one with the stud incorporated, I use a rectangle of 2 -3mm thick rubber to form a pad  which helps prevent the metal frame of the bipod damaging the stock. 

3 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks for the replies!

IMHO the 110 is inferior in every way had a choice of a 100 and a 110 made the wrong choice with the 110 Hull cartridge were useless not answering emails about it , fixed myself but put me off that brand completely bought a AA s510 completely different gun quality is superb not 1 issue with it 

4 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks for the replies!

To be honest, I don't know about prices as I only take note if I'm buying, which I'm not at the moment.

The front stud is as mentioned in another reply.

I only bought a full length as I already had a carbine,,,, BSA Ultra.

1 hour ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks guys! Appreciate! Really helpful and good to know about the QD stud. 

Think I’ll fork out for one and the Weihrauch pump and “upgrade” to a bottle depending on how much I’m using it / refilling it

Any other feedback is always appreciated!

Please consider dive cylinder straight away as the pump is OK for a hunter only having a few shots here and there , I woks on the basis of 1 1/2 pumps per shot and should be done in roughly 25 to 30 pumps before allowing the pump to cool which gets tiring and time consuming if you are shooting targets. A 300bar 7L cylinder will give about 40 fills and proportionally more or less as the size of the cylinder increases or decreases.

Just to add my thoughts - if you’re going HW then I’d go for the 100. I went 110k which was very good and nice and light - a prerequisite for my shooting. However I’ve had the power drop so got it tuned by hw100tuning - brilliant! Bigger cylinder too for more shots (80ish). Had to send it back in again as trigger sears ‘worn’ out, sorted for £50 so big problems, it’s a cracking gun but to quote the guys at Hw100tuning:  - the internals of the 110 are simply inferior to the 100. 

Edited by Greylag80