Peanut conundrum

wildfowler.250

Folks, is there anywhere that sells peanuts online for reasonable cash? Or is there an equally good alternative for baiting greys?

I don’t grudge the costs entirely as the feeder is shared between reds and greys. It’s nice to see the reds and shoot the few greys that turn up. But they’re going through KGs in no time,(I think it must be a combination of eating and hiding them).

Im sure folk on here who shoot airguns more regularly will have a reasonable place to buy from or a better/cheaper alternative so thought it was worth asking.

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Folks, is there anywhere that sells peanuts online for reasonable cash? Or is there an equally good alternative for baiting greys?

I don’t grudge the costs entirely as the feeder is shared between reds and greys. It’s nice to see the reds and shoot the few greys that turn up. But they’re going through KGs in no time,(I think it must be a combination of eating and hiding them).

Im sure folk on here who shoot airguns more regularly will have a reasonable place to buy from or a better/cheaper alternative so thought it was worth asking.

Thanks in advance!

Cheapest I've found on a local market other place to look is the home bargains , Wilko type shop's £20 for 12.55kg is the best bulk price from them I've seen.  People also seem to use wheat or whole maize . Monkey nuts from amazon can work out cheapish if you're buying in bulk. 

IMG-20230127-WA0000.jpg

6 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I think a lot of folk have switched to a smaller seed such as wheat the squirrels will still come for it but have to stay at the feeder longer to fill up pouches and so more chance of intercepting them.

:good:

I was just going to say wheat as they seem happy to gnaw holes in any plastic feeders to get at the wheat.

Or use a mix of wheat and peanuts to cut the price down.

B&M, Home Bargains or Wilko all do 12.55 kg for about £20. Peanuts are expensive but they do the job and draw in the greys all year round. As an added bonus they will also attract the woodland birds which help draw the greys to the feeder and I love watching the birds in between the greys visits. 

Any pictures of your feeders @wildfowler.250 I'm guessing you aren't using a flip top if your going through loads of nuts, or you've got a lot of squirrels?

https://www.moleonline.com/wild-bird-peanuts-25kg-1053657

Another lad posted this earlier,  with free delivery that looks pretty good to me.

I wouldn't use wheat or maize, because it just sits there and nothing bothers with it. I do use cheap ( it was, now about £7.99) B&M bird seed, but add in molasses in open feeders to bring in the birds , then a peanut and black sunflower seeds mix in closed feeders, they definitely like sunflower seeds and they're cheaper than nuts.

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Any pictures of your feeders @wildfowler.250 I'm guessing you aren't using a flip top if your going through loads of nuts, or you've got a lot of squirrels?

https://www.moleonline.com/wild-bird-peanuts-25kg-1053657

Another lad posted this earlier,  with free delivery that looks pretty good to me.

I wouldn't use wheat or maize, because it just sits there and nothing bothers with it. I do use cheap ( it was, now about £7.99) B&M bird seed, but add in molasses in open feeders to bring in the birds , then a peanut and black sunflower seeds mix in closed feeders, they definitely like sunflower seeds and they're cheaper than nuts.

if they don't touch wheat how come they raid pheasant feeders?

Don't know if this is helpful.

I've mentioned before that I like trying different baits in tunnel traps. I've caught squirrels using carrots and apples, both very cheap ( especially windfall apples ). Mainly use coneybear type traps for squirrels as they are quite bold and easily trip the trap.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

if they don't touch wheat how come they raid pheasant feeders?

I read lots of things on squirrels,  lots use wheat and maize,  but if I put it out where I am then nothing touches it.

I'm sort of running some feeders with a maize peanut mix, not my feeders and nothing has bothered with them in months.

Coating the cheap seed with the molasses is just adding scent and sugar, and everything likes sugar, plus I add sunflower seeds.

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

I read lots of things on squirrels,  lots use wheat and maize,  but if I put it out where I am then nothing touches it.

I'm sort of running some feeders with a maize peanut mix, not my feeders and nothing has bothered with them in months.

Coating the cheap seed with the molasses is just adding scent and sugar, and everything likes sugar, plus I add sunflower seeds.

They defo eat wheat ! By providing alternatives they may choose those in preference to wheat but i have shot actually thousands on nothing more than the pheasant feeders - No need to complicate things 

23 minutes ago, jall25 said:

They defo eat wheat ! By providing alternatives they may choose those in preference to wheat but i have shot actually thousands on nothing more than the pheasant feeders - No need to complicate things 

Ah, but the squirrels up north are fussy eaters. :)

Ditto, not thousands but I have shot a fair few around feeders.

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

I don't doubt they will eat wheat,  but like I've said when I put out just cheap bird seed, which is mostly wheat, nothing touches it, put out nuts and sunflower seeds and I shoot squirrels,  so I can sit and see nothing or use more expensive feed and pull in the squirrels.

There would have to be nothing else in the woods before they bothered with wheat up here.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I don't doubt they will eat wheat,  but like I've said when I put out just cheap bird seed, which is mostly wheat, nothing touches it, put out nuts and sunflower seeds and I shoot squirrels,  so I can sit and see nothing or use more expensive feed and pull in the squirrels.

There would have to be nothing else in the woods before they bothered with wheat up here.

I agree when I used to shoot squizzers when I put that mixed bird seed down from home bargains it contained wheat , small amounts of sunflower seeds & other mixed bits never had interest the song birds loved it tho which was good .

As soon as I changed back to peanuts the squirrels arrived & once the feeder got established they would soon empty it if you weren't shooting it regularly 

On 19/02/2023 at 10:40, Stephen-H said:

I agree when I used to shoot squizzers when I put that mixed bird seed down from home bargains it contained wheat , small amounts of sunflower seeds & other mixed bits never had interest the song birds loved it tho which was good .

As soon as I changed back to peanuts the squirrels arrived & once the feeder got established they would soon empty it if you weren't shooting it regularly 

I use a mix of Home Bargains wild bird seed & the peanuts they sell, wich seem to attract everything from Jackdaws/magpies/jays/squirrels common woodpecker the local pheasant population + the odd munty as well as loads of different song bird types. For me it`s nice to see & help out the local wildlife & as a bonus bring down the numbers of vermin too