That 'downed American drone'

Dave-G

Whilst admitting I know next to nothing about Drones - might I be wrong to assume their cameras would be searching for 'ground activity?

I'm slightly suspicious about why it would have had a camera viewing the sky above its rear and that its another propaganda effort to paint Russia as bad again?

May I just add that I'm on neither side of that war's propaganda efforts.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These big and very expensive drones are 'piloted' by a remote team (I believe that drone has team of two) who in effect fly it - but from behind a desk, probably somewhere in the USA.  I would expect it to have a range of cameras to make the flying experience for the two 'desk pilots' as realistic as reasonably possible and that would include local awareness cameras.

Why would having a camera looking upwards/backwards be 'suspicious'.  Is it suspicious that people have dashcams both forwards and backwards?

Edited by JohnfromUK

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

These big and very expensive drones are 'piloted' by a remote team (I believe that drone has team of two) who in effect fly it - but from behind a desk, probably somewhere in the USA.  I would expect it to have a range of cameras to make the flying experience for the two 'desk pilots' as realistic as reasonably possible and that would include local awareness cameras.

Why would having a camera looking upwards/backwards be 'suspicious'.  Is it suspicious that people have dashcams both forwards and backwards?

No, but a car is much more likely to be rear ended than an aircraft, and the road is the only area of interest. :hmm:

And a forwards only flying aircraft would of course need to see ahead but I hadn't considered how use for a rear facing camera to see where its already been

Edited by Dave-G

I am assuming (and I know little about it) that when landing/taking off/manoevering on the ground, it may be advantageous, but in anycase, giving the remote pilots the full realistic view would seem sensible.  Camera can be very cheap compared to a drone system.

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

No, but a car is much more likely to be rear ended than an aircraft. 

Yes, but as old hat as they are, getting rear ended by a 20mm SUU hurts a damn sight more than someone's Vauxhall and is best avoided if you can 'see' it coming. Something more current is really, really going to hurt.

Having a Drone costing a tad more that your local hospital its no surprise to me it won't have cameras coverage 360. 

And the with ability to drop a **** on a moving mini metro at over a mile high it's got some technical stuff on board. 

Camera is pretty low tech in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Having a Drone costing a tad more that your local hospital its no surprise to me it won't have cameras coverage 360. 

And the with ability to drop a **** on a moving mini metro at over a mile high it's got some technical stuff on board. 

And its pretty cool footage. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

No, but a car is much more likely to be rear ended than an aircraft, and the road is the only area of interest. 

And a forwards only flying aircraft would of course need to see ahead but I hadn't considered how use for a rear facing camera to see where its already been

One to see what you are approaching and the other, rearwards, too see what the reaction is to you when you've passed. Especially if you've just said "hello" with something nasty.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

The official US gov stance is that they were monitoring the battlefield, this is somewhat surprising considering the nearest front line is some 200 miles away from where it was attacked ?
I realise the MQ9 has a sensor suite, and some nifty cameras , but 200 miles ?

MQ 9 s can be armed with short range weapons, and also, smaller drones...

The Americans seem rather short on outrage too, one of their military aircraft has been bought down by 'the enemy' and it seems the matter is already closed ?
It isnt really a secret any more that the US/NATO is assisting Ukraine with targeting intelligence, yet there are still plenty on here who still refuse to accept this as a a proxy war.

One of the Americans Drones was operating without lights, without transponder and without flight plan collecting targeting data for Ukraine to use against Russia.

The Americans know this, the Russians know this and anyone with common sense knows this.

Russia has finally had enough and downed it without firing a shot (unlike the USA and the balloons) and sent a message that this will not be tolerated any longer.

Latest Black sea drone flight paths are now 150km further away from Crimea.

32 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

One of the Americans Drones was operating without lights, without transponder and without flight plan collecting targeting data for Ukraine to use against Russia.

The Americans know this, the Russians know this and anyone with common sense knows this.

Russia has finally had enough and downed it without firing a shot (unlike the USA and the balloons) and sent a message that this will not be tolerated any longer.

This. 

Just now, enfieldspares said:

This. 

There is a BIG difference:

1. The balloons shot down over America had passed over American territories and were shot down in American airspace where it had no right to be.
  2. The drone was in international airspace over international waters where it had a perfect right to be - regardless of what (passive activities) it may have been doing.

6 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Whilst admitting I know next to nothing about Drones - might I be wrong to assume their cameras would be searching for 'ground activity?

I'm slightly suspicious about why it would have had a camera viewing the sky above its rear and that its another propaganda effort to paint Russia as bad again?

Seeing as this situation had been go in on for over half an hour it's hardly surprising the the main camera which is housed in a ball turret under the chin would be turned round towards the two jets that had been harassing the drone and dumping fuel over it.  Does Russia need to be painted bad again after the atrocities and war crimes that have been dumped on the Ukrainian people. 

6 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Gordon Bennett!

The beauty of a drone is that a whole shedload of operators can be monitoring and working all of the sensors!

51 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

So where have all these gems of proven data sprung from. ?  Have you actually watched the footage because the incident happened in broad daylight. 

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The official US gov stance is that they were monitoring the battlefield, this is somewhat surprising considering the nearest front line is some 200 miles away from where it was attacked ?
I realise the MQ9 has a sensor suite, and some nifty cameras , but 200 miles ?

MQ 9 s can be armed with short range weapons, and also, smaller drones...

The Americans seem rather short on outrage too, one of their military aircraft has been bought down by 'the enemy' and it seems the matter is already closed ?
It isnt really a secret any more that the US/NATO is assisting Ukraine with targeting intelligence, yet there are still plenty on here who still refuse to accept this as a a proxy war.

Russia started the war, so it is not a US / NATO proxy war.

3 hours ago, ordnance said:

Russia started the war, so it is not a US / NATO proxy war.

Still partoting the MSM line....

Who caused the coup in Ukraine.. USA

Who illegally invaded and spent spent 8 years shelling (making war) on the Donbass... Ukraine with USA and West support.

Who sent in peace keeping troops to stabilise the Donbass... Russia

Who openly admitted the Minsk accords were nothing more than an attempt allow time to build up an army capable of invading the Donbass and taking control, Ukraine with USA and West support.

Who came into the Donbass at the request of the legitimate government... Russia

All Russia has done is turn a one sided war into a 2 sided war, they didn't start it, but they are going to finish it.

10 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Still partoting the MSM line....

Who caused the coup in Ukraine.. USA

Who illegally invaded and spent spent 8 years shelling (making war) on the Donbass... Ukraine with USA and West support.

Who sent in peace keeping troops to stabilise the Donbass... Russia

Who openly admitted the Minsk accords were nothing more than an attempt allow time to build up an army capable of invading the Donbass and taking control, Ukraine with USA and West support.

Who came into the Donbass at the request of the legitimate government... Russia

All Russia has done is turn a one sided war into a 2 sided war, they didn't start it, but they are going to finish it.

Maybe in your alternative universe 🛸

Edited by ordnance

On 18/03/2023 at 12:49, Dave-G said:

A good film to watch to show how drones operate.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2057392/