Voter photo ID. ?

Minky

Amongst lots of different forms of acceptable photo ID that you now need to show to vote.  A firearms or shotgun certificate is not accepted.??  Bus pass is ok. Lots of random things but not a firearm or shotgun cert.  SO has basic asked why these are not acceptable to vote in the local borough council elections. ...... turnout for these elections is pretty low as it is.  Is there a massive voter fraud that needs regulation.?

Seeing that about 2 old boys and a dog turn out for local elections, I  imagine that the turnout % will be pretty poor.  Do you think that a 25yd  swimming cert might be acceptable. ?

Edited by Minky

I think you will probably find certificates would be very easy to change details. A decent .pdf editor or a colour photocopier you could probably knock up a passable effort especially as a majority of people have not seen one. 
a buss pass on the other hand are mostly printed similar to an id card with security type features and are probably a bit harder to knock up 

51 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I think you will probably find certificates would be very easy to change details. A decent .pdf editor or a colour photocopier you could probably knock up a passable effort especially as a majority of people have not seen one. 
a buss pass on the other hand are mostly printed similar to an id card with security type features and are probably a bit harder to knock up 

A bus pass.??  It's  pretty pathetic that someone can just fill in a form and apply for a bus pass and that is accepted.  All of the hoops that we have to jump through to get one  AND PLOD ACTUALLY COMES OUT TO YOUR HOUSE.   Anyway what about the 25yd swimming certificate.   Not that I'll  bother to turn out.  Ps I  do have a passport and a driving license which do quantify as acceptable photo  I'd.

40 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've applied for one. As when abroad I sometimes get asked for photo ID as a "deposit" on some object or other and do not wish to leave my passport or UK Driving Licence. Plus when I vote I often won't be able to find either on the day or not want to carry them.

sorry, i dont understand. What have you applied for. .?

2 hours ago, ph5172 said:

This.

35 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've applied for one. As when abroad I sometimes get asked for photo ID as a "deposit" on some object or other and do not wish to leave my passport or UK Driving Licence. Plus when I vote I often won't be able to find either on the day or not want to carry them.

probably the most sensible reason to apply for one that i can think off.

not being funny how do you get on in life without any form of id?  you need ID or some form of documents to prove address and age to open a bank account. and oyu need a bank account to get payed in from graft or benefits and pay out for everything.  so unless you have nothing, cost nothing  all your cash is in hand and walk everywhere youll have id  and if youve got 18 years minimum living like that i highly doubt the vote is gona be the one that cracks the nut

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

This.

What ..!   Are you sayjng that a shotgun or firearms cert as issued by plod ain't worth the paper its printed on.?   But you can use them to buy cartridges and weapons.  Good job I've got a photo ID driving license and a passport.

Edited by Minky

59 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Applied for what? 

14 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

probably the most sensible reason to apply for one that i can think off.

not being funny how do you get on in life without any form of id?  you need ID or some form of documents to prove address and age to open a bank account. and oyu need a bank account to get payed in from graft or benefits and pay out for everything.  so unless you have nothing, cost nothing  all your cash is in hand and walk everywhere youll have id  and if youve got 18 years minimum living like that i highly doubt the vote is gona be the one that cracks the nut

Thirty years ago I'd have said, as would my father and mother that where I need to be everybody knows me and so I don't need it. And where I do need it then I don't need to be.

In fact odd to say just last week I was shooting and went to pay and couldn't find my wallet! "Never mind," they said, "Pay us when you're next here." I didn't! I went home to look for it just in case I'd dropped it on the range. Found it and went back an paid.

19 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id/applying-a-voter-authority-certificate

I've posted a link. For the local elections this year you'll need to show photgraphic ID when voting in person at a polling station.

This OOWEE as above.

Edited by enfieldspares

Is all of this about EVERYOÑE HAVING TO HAVE AND CARRY , A national identity card.?  Is it because there are so many illegal immigrants floating around in the system.  Some years ago I  worked with a French bloke and he said to me that before the second world war that Gypsies used to migrate between France and Spain and were sort of stateless.  The French decided to give them French nationality status.  The French identified them all and issued passports and other documents. All went well until the Germans overran France and the SS rounded up the unwanted and shipped them off to a holiday camp.  Is this voter ID a prototype trial of an ID card rollout.?

Edited by Minky

7 hours ago, Minky said:

Is all of this about EVERYOÑE HAVING TO HAVE AND CARRY , A national identity card.?  Is it because there are so many illegal immigrants floating around in the system.  Some years ago I  worked with a French bloke and he said to me that before the second world war that Gypsies used to migrate between France and Spain and were sort of stateless.  The French decided to give them French nationality status.  The French identified them all and issued passports and other documents. All went well until the Germans overran France and the SS rounded up the unwanted and shipped them off to a holiday camp.  Is this voter ID a prototype trial of an ID card rollout.?

The vast majority of us are already on 'Gov't data records', usually, but not limited to one or more of;

• Inland Revenue
  • National insurance
  • National Health (number)
  • Passport (photo)
  • Driving license (mostly now with photo)
  • Government Gateway ID

We do not (currently) have to carry them, but nowadays we are regularly asked for 'photo ID'.  In the last week alone, I have been asked twice, once when collecting a package of documents from an office, and the other collecting a mail item from a Royal Mail office.  The idea of reducing voter fraud has to be the right idea, but whether the method is correct (leaving as it does an open 'back door' of a postal vote) is questionable.

Single purpose item then,

Use this service to apply for a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’. You can use it to vote in person in some UK elections and referendums. You cannot use it as proof of identification for any other reason.

why is it not deemed acceptable as ID anywhere else ?

Any person who asks for proof of identity should be required to provide theirs first if asked to do so.

Proof of identity and proof of address are two totally different things, my address has nothing whatsoever to do with my identity. official 'proof of i.d' such as a passport or photo license are just as valid as proof of your identity even after their expiry date.

Edited by janner