Hit me and carried on

30-6

Picture this, cars double parked either side of road, leaving only room for one car to travel either way. I pulled in behind the last car to give way then bang. Bloody car speeding down banged mirrors. Jumped out , car gone.

Luckily for me the mirrors ( Duster ) manually fold in so only damage was mirror, which is not actual glass hit out in impact. Picked it up from down road a bit along with the cowling of the other car.

A guy pointed out to me that the shop which causes the double parking had a CCTV on the wall. I asked politely could I see footage, but was told they only show to police.

I clipped the mirror back in, but have lost some of the manual adjustment. Is it relatively easy to pull the mirror back off, or am I likely to break it ? I can then see if adjustment is ok when mirror is out, perhaps not clipped in tidy.

I think I'll stamp on the cowling from the other car, probably not insured / disqualified.

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

Picture this, cars double parked either side of road, leaving only room for one car to travel either way. I pulled in behind the last car to give way then bang. Bloody car speeding down banged mirrors. Jumped out , car gone.

Luckily for me the mirrors ( Duster ) manually fold in so only damage was mirror, which is not actual glass hit out in impact. Picked it up from down road a bit along with the cowling of the other car.

A guy pointed out to me that the shop which causes the double parking had a CCTV on the wall. I asked politely could I see footage, but was told they only show to police.

I clipped the mirror back in, but have lost some of the manual adjustment. Is it relatively easy to pull the mirror back off, or am I likely to break it ? I can then see if adjustment is ok when mirror is out, perhaps not clipped in tidy.

I think I'll stamp on the cowling from the other car, probably not insured / disqualified.

No need to pull mirror back off, just drive back down that narrow road 👍

The shop can’t show the footage due to Gdpr laws/rules. 

id be informing the police, hit and run/ leaving the scene of an accident is an criminal offence. 

as for taking the mirror off to check….get on YouTube and you’ll likely find a video explaining how to do it properly. 👍🏻

Can think of a past experience. Where some nutter decided to puncture about 15 tyres on their way home. Police informed, never had any contact from them at all.

Another where my oldest boys car was broken into, stole some personal items. He found a cigarette lighter in the back foot well. Took it to the police who found DNA of a local druggy, no action taken.

On 24/04/2023 at 19:26, Dave at kelton said:

Hit and run will police not look at the video?

YOU ARE JOKING ARENT YOU ????????????????

Take me back 35yrs and yes I certainly would but today they are just too busy sending five...yes FIVE ...to take half a dozen ******** from a pub.

On 24/04/2023 at 19:26, Dave at kelton said:

Hit and run will police not look at the video?

In my experience they not going to do anything even if they could be bothered to.

Last year my next door neighbor's brother reversed into my xtrail all along the offside (while off his nut on weed) . Luckily I was working on my campervan on the drive and heard it .

Went to confront him and smelled the weed he said that it was a works van and he was insured but there was a good body shop next to his works and would get them to sort it ... I said I would go get a pen and paper to swap details as is required by law . 

While I was in house getting said pen and paper the little s###bag got back in van and drove off.

Got his mobile number from his sister (my nextdoor neighbour) and rang him but he wouldn't answer . Thankfully it was all caught on my CCTV system.

So I called police to report it ... It took them 10 days to get here even though I said he was stinking of weed .... Gave them the CCTV footage which is very good quality (police rang me to say so) and showed clear footage of me talking to the *** and even looked directly at the camera... 

FFWD 6 months and plod ring and tell me that because he and the keeper of the vehicle haven't responded to the letters they sent out they have had to close the case 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

So the little s### has got away Scott free .

Even though I gave the CCTV footage the reg number of the van he was driving his mobile phone number and his name (he is known to plod for a hit and run in 2012 in which while off his nut on weed he hit and left for dead a young girl who survived but is left with huge disabilities) . In the 10 days it took them to get here I even found out who he worked for where they are based . Unfortunately he works for a travelling hoppings company .

Thankfully I went through a 3rd party handling company and they wrote my vehicle off and paid out and are taking the van owner and his insurance company to court...

Way way more than plod did

Edited by hodge911
Add information

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/05/2023 at 12:49, Walker570 said:

YOU ARE JOKING ARENT YOU ????????????????

Take me back 35yrs and yes I certainly would but today they are just too busy sending five...yes FIVE ...to take half a dozen ******** from a pub.

You may say that, BUT, things have changed massively since our day. Joe Public will not assist you in any way, apart from filming the entire incident on their mobiles. This enables them to provide evidence at your Discipline Hearing and pocket a few Bob for themselves.  I once dealt with a guy that was armed with a sword, having flattened him with my Mini Panda car, I then battered him and got him in handcuffs. Do that today, he would be given a large lump sum and YOU would be going down  !  No, the lads and lasses on the VERY thin blue line earn every penny. No Compo Grant, no rent allowance, no time off for Force Sport (unless they take leave), nah, I think I did the right thing hanging my helmet up over 20 years ago  ! 

8 hours ago, Westley said:

You may say that, BUT, things have changed massively since our day. Joe Public will not assist you in any way, apart from filming the entire incident on their mobiles. This enables them to provide evidence at your Discipline Hearing and pocket a few Bob for themselves.  I once dealt with a guy that was armed with a sword, having flattened him with my Mini Panda car, I then battered him and got him in handcuffs. Do that today, he would be given a large lump sum and YOU would be going down  !  No, the lads and lasses on the VERY thin blue line earn every penny. No Compo Grant, no rent allowance, no time off for Force Sport (unless they take leave), nah, I think I did the right thing hanging my helmet up over 20 years ago  ! 

A sorry state of affairs. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

That may be true of many, but if I saw an officer struggling I would immediately offer assistance, and I am 74.

I did just that at 76, I got stuck in the back of the hand with a hypodermic  ! Ended up with monthly blood tests for 6 months, saved Morrisons about £300 on recovered booze, never even got a thank you. Mind you the Offender got 6 months and I suppose in todays legal system, that's as good as it gets  !

Having said that I would do the same tomorrow  !   🙄

Sorry for the many words I feel it’s worth thinking through and it Sunday morning time for a mini rant 🙂 

It can appear that if you are a habitual criminal albeit generally low level stuff (shoplifting or nicking bits off cars or out of cars to sell for drugs) there’s an apathy to do anything by the police and I’m guessing that’s because by the time they’ve put (upto) hundreds of hours into proving that an offence has taken place and getting it to court the offender is going to get 25 hours community service and a £32 fine for costs.

The obvious problem is that this emboldens and reinforces the view that police are powerless against this kind of crime 

You must have seen on TV how much effort they require against anyone who just gives a no comment interview and doesn’t convict themselves 

The police are always going to put their efforts where they think they’re making a difference and unfortunately they know that those people who have a particular criminal history have also learned how to play the victim and the system.

Unfortunately some of the crimes that are cut and dried (e.g. speeding) do not habitually catch career criminals and have a low cost to the police in terms of time and efficiency - just issue a ticket - job done and they can potentially generate revenue so why not put lots of efforts there?? I’m not saying they shouldn’t I’m just sating there’s possibly disproportionate effort compared with other crimes because they look good statistically they could easily become a self perpetuating crusade justified by road deaths.

Back to the OP - Leaving the scene of an accident is still strictly speaking quite serious but I bet the defence of “I didn’t realise there was contact” would challenge the police without cctv showing the incident and the driver reacting to the impact 

Even though I have little or no expectation of most police forces putting in the effort to follow up on a hit and run with minor damage I would still report it and the reason is two fold

1) There’s always the possibility that plod turns up on your doorstep with a complaint saying Mr don’t know how wide my car is complaining you hit him - it always pays to get your complaint lodged first in any such interaction with police - not least because you don’t know how long that cctv will last 

2) If the driver was illegal and goes on to do something more serious how would you feel knowing there was a chance to nip it in the bud

On the other hand if you actually take any kind of action against someone yourself like challenging or chasing someone out of your house as a typical law abiding citizen you will probably give a statement (why wouldn’t you as you have nothing to hide - because you don’t believe that you did anything wrong) but when it comes to court there’s a fantasy version of events from the other party and they are the hard done by victims and you’re in clink.

Not wishing to turn this thread into a “Law and Order” debate I’d definitely advocate reporting it and I also try and have a dashcam in my car too - but it’s broken at the moment 

If you do report it let us know if our lack of faith is misplaced ? I genuinely hope it gets followed up and resolved in your favour but well…

D

Edited by Downforce

On 25/04/2023 at 09:07, Spr1985 said:

The shop can’t show the footage due to Gdpr laws/rules. 

Well that may be true under certain circumstances but it also depends on the stated purpose - if stated as being in use for the deterrent reduction and prosecution of crime (as many are) then providing the evidence to a victim of crime wouldn’t be a breach of the rules 

obviously for people to know the details of when and how they can release it’s easier just to say no

D

As my mirror can be manually moved, and the glass didn't actually break, in effect no " damage " was done as such. Their mirror came off, so it's costing them.

Put it down as " joys of driving ".

Edit to add, just hope karma comes around to them.

Edited by 30-6

• 2 weeks later...