Paid pest control

samadams21

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. 

looking for advice, 

I shoot on a golf course that have a problem with rabbits, so much so they have offered to pay me to shoot more regularly (more than happy about that) 

My question is, has anyone else been in this situation and what have they had to do about being paid ? ( new insurance, ltd company, tax, ect.) 

the dream would be that this would be enough to cover ammo, maybe a little towards a new NV scope 

I will be keeping my day job so, I think the tax will make it pretty pointless. 

Any advice would be helpful

it might go either 2 ways

1. they pay you off the books cash in hand,

or

2. they put you on the books

if 2 they will take tax off you at source......they may also ask you to produce Method statement....and insurance..........

i suspect they will pay you cash in hand ......take it..............but cover yourself with insurance and BASC membership.........

thats just my opinion...........think it will work likehow some of the beaters work now

For me the reward is not all about the money, yes its nice to have the offer and to receive but once you  get onto the payroll then i think you may loose some of the fun. 

I would be looking at other kind of payments, do they have a club house, restaurant, do you play golf would a few beers, a meal or a round of golf suffice as payments ? 

Unless the pay is substantial (which I seriously doubt) it’s not worth it.

Ask the green keeper or whoever is in charge to buy you a bottle of something.

Here’s the real issue though, they are currently not happy with the amount of effort being put in, so either get up there more often or the next person that asks them will likely be given permission.

Oh and if they pay you and start seeing rabbit damage then expect some stick as they may say you’re not doing the job you’re being paid for.

If you have been shooting there for some time it may be too late to deal with the rabbit problem with a rifle. It would have perhaps been better to hit them very hard the first night or two. Now they will be wise and your likely numbers limited. 

I would guess if you get paid then BASC insurance, or the like, will no longer work. It's probably not worth the hassle of going down that route. 

Very simple really. Two options. 

First is be employed zero hours contract. Agree hourly rate and times you work with director or head of greens. Covered by there insurance and public liability etc

Second and best option set up a business. Quick books is simple to invoice each month. Again you liase with director or Head of greens when you are there. Any contract can still have you on there insurance or public liability. Or set you own insurance. They can still pay for ammunition with receipts each month and hours invoiced. This gives you biggest chance of building business and bringing new opportunities onboard. All shooting equipment clothing will be tax deductable.

Golf courses are very well ran business and will like to engage all aspects the same. The option of paying cash I would not think worth there risk.

Hope this helps and please put the effort in and go for it. 

As long as it`s not your main source of employment and the earnings are more to cover your costs,check out the BASC insurance small print with David Ilsley at BASC HQ.

I was surprised to find that my BASC insurance provided 3rd party cover for paid pest control.

6 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Very simple really. Two options. 

First is be employed zero hours contract. Agree hourly rate and times you work with director or head of greens. Covered by there insurance and public liability etc

Second and best option set up a business. Quick books is simple to invoice each month. Again you liase with director or Head of greens when you are there. Any contract can still have you on there insurance or public liability. Or set you own insurance. They can still pay for ammunition with receipts each month and hours invoiced. This gives you biggest chance of building business and bringing new opportunities onboard. All shooting equipment clothing will be tax deductable.

Golf courses are very well ran business and will like to engage all aspects the same. The option of paying cash I would not think worth there risk.

Hope this helps and please put the effort in and go for it. 

Setup a business just to go and shoot a few rabbits? 🤣

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Setup a business just to go and shoot a few rabbits? 🤣

I apologise. It does seem a ridiculous Idea for all the hassle to set up a small business. After being asked to carry out work for a large business. The time it takes to set up such a company would be??? 

It didn't not take me long or any expense and anyone that knows me would vouch for that.

In your experience I am sure they tell you how much it costs to repair damage set mole traps etc. Plus the committee meetings where members insist on plans for damage control or a full time employee. I can guarantee the payment options are better than a bottle 😉 

I have very limited experience with wildlife management and am always keen to here from guys behind there computers. 

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

I apologise. It does seem a ridiculous Idea for all the hassle to set up a small business. After being asked to carry out work for a large business. The time it takes to set up such a company would be??? 

It didn't not take me long or any expense and anyone that knows me would vouch for that.

In your experience I am sure they tell you how much it costs to repair damage set mole traps etc. Plus the committee meetings where members insist on plans for damage control or a full time employee. I can guarantee the payment options are better than a bottle 😉 

I have very limited experience with wildlife management and am always keen to here from guys behind there computers. 

With family who have run (Head green-keeper) 3 - 4 top standard golf courses and have links to many others, they have always had a list of lads willing to shoot the rabbits for free and dead man’s shoes to get in for permission if one of them ever stops. 

On top they also had staff who would do it as well, as it’s easy permission for staff and a legit reason to own a rifle. 

The only places I’d known where people rarely turned up was down to lack of rabbits therefore people rarely turned up cos there wasn’t much to shoot. 

Perhaps the lads behind the computers can advise the ease and cost of setting yourself up as a LTD company and having to do accounts every year etc just for the odd night out shooting a month. 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

With family who have run (Head green-keeper) 3 - 4 top standard golf courses and have links to many others, they have always had a list of lads willing to shoot the rabbits for free and dead man’s shoes to get in for permission if one of them ever stops. 

On top they also had staff who would do it as well, as it’s easy permission for staff and a legit reason to own a rifle. 

The only places I’d known where people rarely turned up was down to lack of rabbits therefore people rarely turned up cos there wasn’t much to shoot. 

Perhaps the lads behind the computers can advise the ease and cost of setting yourself up as a LTD company and having to do accounts every year etc just for the odd night out shooting a month. 

Why would he have to set up as a Ltd company? I would imagine the costs alone would not be viable, however no reason not to be a sole trader to keep everything above board and produce your p&l to show any taxable profits and offset any costs, ie NV purchase, ammo etc

2 hours ago, button said:

Why would he have to set up as a Ltd company? I would imagine the costs alone would not be viable, however no reason not to be a sole trader to keep everything above board and produce your p&l to show any taxable profits and offset any costs, ie NV purchase, ammo etc

A Ltd. company gives you limited liability, ie. if something goes wrong the only thing you can lose is what the company owns, apart from your liberty.

2 hours ago, RCB56 said:

A Ltd. company gives you limited liability, ie. if something goes wrong the only thing you can lose is what the company owns, apart from your liberty.

Go wrong? That's what insurance is for!

There seems to be a misconception that you cant lose out been incorporated, may be liability is limited under some circumstances but not all

there is a very easy option available without the need to over think

https://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/ngo-insurance

The NGO's £45 Membership Subscription includes public liability insurance for up to £10 million whilst taking part in any listed gamekeeping or shooting activity for recreational purposes, as well as covering you whilst earning no more than £5,000 per annum through shooting, this figure includes any monies obtained from carcass sales.

This has been all extremely helpful. 

I am currently waiting to see what the agreed the budget is for me, which will help me inform my decision. 

Reading between the lines and the 10 hours a week they would like me on site/course - I believe the pay should cover my costs and some. 

I will update here once I know more 

thank you all for your help. - it really has helped