.22lr is now obsolete for me

Hi all
A long story short, I shoot a lot of rabbit this time of year and everywhere I supply with rabbit Now-wants them to be shot with non-toxic which I am not able to get hold of and by all accounts I doesn’t shoot very well anyway, it doesn’t seem right to just shoot them and leave them and I can’t eat the amount of rabbits I’m shooting,

The end result is I’ve had to put in a variation for a 17 HMR, I liked my .22LR i’ve had it years and it’s always done the job for me, I would prefer not to have to buy another rifle as I really didn’t need one, I will keep the rifle in the hope that the manufacturers will bring some non-toxic out that Shoots.

just wondering if anybody else has come across the same problem?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi all
A long story short, I shoot a lot of rabbit this time of year and everywhere I supply with rabbit Now-wants them to be shot with non-toxic which I am not able to get hold of and by all accounts I doesn’t shoot very well anyway, it doesn’t seem right to just shoot them and leave them and I can’t eat the amount of rabbits I’m shooting,

The end result is I’ve had to put in a variation for a 17 HMR, I liked my .22LR i’ve had it years and it’s always done the job for me, I would prefer not to have to buy another rifle as I really didn’t need one, I will keep the rifle in the hope that the manufacturers will bring some non-toxic out that Shoots.

Why can’t you just head shoot them? A game dealer we used to supply would only take head shot rabbits, so that’s what we did. Just supply them headless; the head is just cut off and discarded anyhow. 🤷‍♂️

34 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi all

If they are head shot what's the problem!

Hi, I’ve been down this route and they said they won’t take rabbits heads on or off if they’ve been shot with Lead,

Which in my opinion is stupid, if they’ve been headshot and the head was removed, there’s no lead in the rest of the body I can’t see the problem it just seems everybody is jumping on lead  is toxic thing

I couldn’t believe it when they said they wouldn’t take them.

edited to say, I really do hope this is not a sign of things to come

Edited by silver fox 1

1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi, I’ve been down this route and they said they won’t take rabbits heads on or off if they’ve been shot with Lead,

Which in my opinion is stupid, if they’ve been headshot and the head was removed, there’s no lead in the rest of the body I can’t see the problem it just seems everybody is jumping on lead  is toxic thing

I couldn’t believe it when they said they wouldn’t take them.

edited to say, I really do hope this is not a sign of things to come

Then cut the heads off ( because you can store more if they’re headless ) and tell them they’ve been shot with non-toxic. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Then cut the heads off ( because you can store more if they’re headless ) and tell them they’ve been shot with non-toxic. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, I suppose I could do, but I’ve been supplying these for years and since I’ve already asked the question about taking the heads off,

it might seem a bit suspicious, if all the rabbits turn up headless. Plus the fact I don’t like lying

Hi silver fox, I agree it’s not good lying. I supply pigeons and rabbits ,shot with non lead ,for animal feed and it’s all about trust . Some people feed rabbits (as shot ) to dogs frozen . I use 22 rf . The last 4 weeks I have used non lead air gun pellets for pigeons and a few rabbits I found them ok . If you sell your rabbits you could maybe borrow a air gun and give them a a try. If you supply rabbits for pet feed you may be interested in wild Justice latest survey on dog food (game) containing lead shot. They are asking members to write to the manufacturers about lead shot in the dog food. I’ve shot a lot of rabbits with segmented 22 most will have two segments in them, l give them to friends and they just remove the lead from them. There is non lead 22rf made I don’t know anywhere it’s available. 

9 hours ago, silver fox 1 said:

Yes, I suppose I could do, but I’ve been supplying these for years and since I’ve already asked the question about taking the heads off,

it might seem a bit suspicious, if all the rabbits turn up headless. Plus the fact I don’t like lying

Fair enough. 
There’s no logic in their stance against head shot rabbits, but there’s not much logic in the lead shot ban either, so their choice I suppose. 
Things are going to get tricky for pet food suppliers when the alternatives are banned also. 🙂

I suppose they’ll have to start making veggie/vegan pet food…..oops, silly me, that’s already happening! 😀

9 hours ago, holloway said:

Can you not get one of your local shops to order some non toxic  in ? You may be surprised by how good they are .move with the times .

Have you tried any? I tried a box at the range and I would never use it on live quarry as it was so inaccurate. Something like a 5" group at 35m bench rest. Other people I know have found similar. It was also supersonic so much noisier than subs.

I would genuinely be interested to hear a recommendation.

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

Have you tried any? I tried a box at the range and I would never use it on live quarry as it was so inaccurate. Something like a 5" group at 35m bench rest. Other people I know have found similar. It was also supersonic so much noisier than subs.

To be fair no I’m not a rifle shooter,  but there are a lot of reviews on the internet many very positive ,and let’s be frank there are still many who say steel shotgun cartridges are rubbish and those who bother to check themselves have been converted .

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What were they paying you? 

Stick them on giving up the game

on Facebook, easily get them gone. 

Only a pound a rabbit, but it gives you some money back for ammunition or fuel. That’s a good idea. I never thought.

19 hours ago, holloway said:

Can you not get one of your local shops to order some non toxic  in ? You may be surprised by how good they are .move with the times .

Exactly what I thought, but he reckons I can’t get hold of any at the moment

18 hours ago, Longbower said:

There are lots of non lead options in airgun pellets that shoot very well.  It could be an option to hang on to your .22RF until more

lead free ammo becomes available .

Hi airgun is not really an option for me. I don’t think as these rabbits are in massive cherry orchard, I need something that can stretch of a fair distance up the row 

9 hours ago, Windswept said:

No, haven’t managed to get hold of any to try yet, i’d like to get hold of some to try

Edited by silver fox 1

20 hours ago, holloway said:

To be fair no I’m not a rifle shooter,  but there are a lot of reviews on the internet many very positive ,and let’s be frank there are still many who say steel shotgun cartridges are rubbish and those who bother to check themselves have been converted .

Hi, I have used steel in shotguns I would say it’s fine as long as long as you rein your distance in a bit, the thing is, there’s always danger of a ricochet.

I have a friend who shoots deer he loads his own ammunition, and he was saying he’s had to push the bullet faster, because the bullet is not expanding, and it’s passing right the way through and carrying on

Edited by silver fox 1

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Fair enough. 
There’s no logic in their stance against head shot rabbits, but there’s not much logic in the lead shot ban either, so their choice I suppose. 
Things are going to get tricky for pet food suppliers when the alternatives are banned also. 🙂

I suppose they’ll have to start making veggie/vegan pet food…..oops, silly me, that’s already happening! 😀

Yes, yes let’s all be vegan, and stop all live quarry shooting. The problem with that is the rabbits pigeons and everything else will be eating all crops