Greek wild fires

Weihrauch17

it has already been reported about a week ago a couple of arsonists had been caught.............last year some of the fires were lit by developers that got out of hand...

just...to add..........the temps' we have been seeing on the TV in the 40's....are true....BUT BUT BUT they are ground temps as red by weather satillites

the official way to record temps' is the air temp as measured using a Stevenson screen 1.5 metres above ground.................using that data the temperatures recorded are a few degs' less.............................

they wont tell you that you have to find out for yourself......"I wonder why"...................once again we are being manipulated for some sort of gain

48 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

And in Canada it is currently estimated 27.1 million acres have gone this year. Smoke affecting vast areas of Alberta and British Columbia, in the west and down to Toronto in the East.

I’m in BC, Canada at the moment and have driven for eight hours north to south and seen not a single bit of smoke! The vast size of Canada is beyond belief.

Speaking to locals they always have these fires and lose ~25m acres each year. It’s just part of the natural cycle of wood getting old, dying off, drying out, burning, sunlight reaching the floor, seedlings growing from the ashes ready to repeat in a few hundred years time.

1 hour ago, Munzy said:

I’m in BC, Canada at the moment and have driven for eight hours north to south and seen not a single bit of smoke! The vast size of Canada is beyond belief.

Speaking to locals they always have these fires and lose ~25m acres each year. It’s just part of the natural cycle of wood getting old, dying off, drying out, burning, sunlight reaching the floor, seedlings growing from the ashes ready to repeat in a few hundred years time.

stop reporting the truth please.....it confuses everybody

It was on the BBC news so it must be true! Reporting 45 degrees in a place - except there was a temperature display outside a pharmacist showing 32 degrees C

Been in communication with people either in, or who have family in, the countries affected. Some have said maybe a little bit warmer than usual but not exceptional, others have said it is the same....

This isn't from news sites or from right wing propaganda - but rather from the horse's mouth.

It’s a well known fact that developers buy wooded land as it is cheep then have a wild fire and clear the land and apply for building.

I have  been involved with fires in the past and the coastal winds are the problem and water access, fire planes drop sea water on the fires but with the wind it soon reignites. At the rear of our property is a church on a small hill some years ago I was on the balcony with the helicopters dropping water on three fires on three sides of the hill. How can three fires start on there own?????

i tell you what...................im really proud of you lot for doing your own proper research and seeing thro this reporting con..............PS i forgot Pigeon controller spend s alot of time in greece every year

Disco bob....thank you for your eagle eyes...............

the shame is i am in permanant pull the wool over your eyes mode...it is very wearing...trying to diseminate the actual story/truth all the time....

10 hours ago, discobob said:

It was on the BBC news so it must be true! Reporting 45 degrees in a place - except there was a temperature display outside a pharmacist showing 32 degrees C

Been in communication with people either in, or who have family in, the countries affected. Some have said maybe a little bit warmer than usual but not exceptional, others have said it is the same....

This isn't from news sites or from right wing propaganda - but rather from the horse's mouth.

Maybe the people you have spoken to are not in Italy. All my family is there and they are all saying that it is extremely hot (40-41 degrees max. and high 20s during the night). Both in Florence and in Rome. Just for completeness. 

12 hours ago, Munzy said:

I too am in BC, on Vancouver Island at present. We drove form Kamloops up to Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise and the down to Cache Creek, Kamloops, Whistler then on to the Island. On the journey from Canmore all the way through to Kamloops there was smoke and the tops of the mountains and glaciers were severely obscured. Mount Robson for example was invisible. From time to time you could smell it in the air. From Kamloops and through now onto Vancouver Island it has been clear with blue skies.

as you say Canada is vast and it depends where you are at any point and the atmospheric conditions on the day.

As with Ditchman, I'm relieved to see so many people now seeing through this absolute faff about climate change-Pigeon watch is now the forum of the enlightened, it seems. I don't doubt there are severe fires in many areas, though the 40 odd degree temps reported in the Greek islands are not remotely unusual for a lot of the Med for this time of year. 

1 hour ago, Docleo said:

Maybe the people you have spoken to are not in Italy. All my family is there and they are all saying that it is extremely hot (40-41 degrees max. and high 20s during the night). Both in Florence and in Rome. Just for completeness. 

Fair enough, no, I haven't spoken to Italy. Cyprus, Greece, Portugal and Spain, across a couple of days.

13 hours ago, discobob said:

Friends of mine have just returned to Madrid (where they live) from the UK visiting their parents.  It is unusually hot in that part of Spain and staying above 30 degrees C overnight which they have not seen before whilst they have lived there (a few years now).

Not sure what they mean by "man made"?

• If this is arson, why should the Gov't pay - they cannot be responsible for all criminal activity?
  • If it has been set alight by the Greek Gov't employees (or their contractors) or anyone on their instructions - then they should pay.
  • If by "man made" they mean inadequate fire breaks/fire prevention measures, that is a hard one to prove how it would affect the outcome as fires will always occur, but maybe with better precautions be easier to bring under control?
  • If by "man made" they mean caused by global warming, then the Greek Gov't are no more liable that other Gov'ts as (like the UK) - if the Greeks cut emissions to zero and others don't bother, action by the Greeks alone won't affect carbon/CO2 (assuming you agree that causes warming)

As to holiday makers, possibly insurance will kick in?  I doubt it unless the holiday operator/airline cancel bookings.

Was in southern Spain last week and there was a fire on a hill about 2 miles away. Some of the residents were having a real panic about it, talking about packing their bags to get out to safety. Didn't understand when I explained the wind was blowing it away from us.

There was a helicopter with a water bag under it which came about 5 times and that was the end of the fire. Saw a small plane over it a few hours later but presumably that was just to check it was totally out.

24 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Would not surprise me if these "arsonists" were found to be "climate Activists" trying to make a point as too many are starting to see through the man made climate change scam. 

its what alot of folk think but to frightened to say............

5 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Would not surprise me if these "arsonists" were found to be "climate Activists" trying to make a point as too many are starting to see through the man made climate change scam. 

CAREFUL you might get de-banked

9 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Finally the Greek Government Minister has admitted that the fires are man made, BBC a news this morning.Will they compensate all the holidaymakers???

We've been told by a few locals that the fires on Corfu are arson. 

On 24/07/2023 at 14:09, ditchman said:

the shame is i am in permanant pull the wool over your eyes mode...it is very wearing...trying to diseminate the actual story/truth all the time....

You really do worry too much.

On 24/07/2023 at 11:21, pigeon controller said:

have  been involved with fires in the past and the coastal winds are the problem and water access, fire planes drop sea water on the fires but with the wind it soon reignites. At the rear of our property is a church on a small hill some years ago I was on the balcony with the helicopters dropping water on three fires on three sides of the hill. How can three fires start on there own?????

We've been watching the fire planes every other day this week,  with helicopters each day dropping water, watching them coming down to fill up then circle round again. 

I can see there's a large burnt area with smoke still rising now so I don't doubt the planes will be back tomorrow 

Not a good picture but the red denotes the burnt area we can see with smoke to the left hand edge.

Screenshot_20230729-193013_Gallery.jpg.3d663ab278c52358340b3cc87973ea3c.jpg