Manchester police

mellors

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, old'un said:

what a waste of police time, totally over the top reaction to hearing the sound of shooting in the countryside, thats why I have the name and phone number of every farm I shoot on.

It said on the film the chap runs the estate and the farmer also came down to confirm permission what more can you do. 

Unless its because where they were footpaths etc. 

its more than likely been reported by someone who is possibly anti shooting, think the police need some schooling of what goes on in the countryside, with regards footpaths, there is no law that says you cannot shoot near them but when shooting near them you need good vision of approaching walkers so you can stop shooting till they pass.

When we were reported some years ago, a lone copper turned up at the farm on which we’d been shooting, long after we’d gone home. 
He told mate ( who owns the farm, land and was shooting with us ) that he was duty bound to come out as there’s been a complaint ( hysterical woman running through the woods screaming ‘ they’re shooting at us!’ ) but knew he was wasting his time. 
I’m sometimes convinced armed response are deployed simply as an exercise, because if not, then there’s a distinct lack of logic and common sense being deployed along with them. 
Clambering over a fence in plain sight of any ‘threat’ isn’t exactly a tactical move is it! 
A simple phone call to the landowner could have sorted this. 
These shooters need to be making a formal complaint and their shooting org’ should be playing merry hell.
Get this in the MSM as Manchester police are currently on the end of some serious criticism. 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

When we were reported some years ago, a lone copper turned up at the farm on which we’d been shooting, long after we’d gone home. 
He told mate ( who owns the farm, land and was shooting with us ) that he was duty bound to come out as there’s been a complaint ( hysterical woman running through the woods screaming ‘ they’re shooting at us!’ ) but knew he was wasting his time. 
I’m sometimes convinced armed response are deployed simply as an exercise, because if not, then there’s a distinct lack of logic and common sense being deployed along with them. 
Clambering over a fence in plain sight of any ‘threat’ isn’t exactly a tactical move is it! 
These shooters need to be making a formal complaint and their shooting org’ should be playing merry hell.
Get this in the MSM as Manchester police are currently on the end of some serious criticism. 

Agreed

I think I would be asking for a written apology from the police for their over the top approach to a legal activity (shooting on private land) there was also the possibility of someone being shot but fortunately the shooter were quick to lay their guns down.

Hello, by all accounts this is just the thin end of wedge as to what is going on in the GMP force, another force think somerset  chief superintendent suspended, 🤔

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, by all accounts this is just the thin end of wedge as to what is going on in the GMP force, another force think somerset  chief superintendent suspended, 🤔

Not forgetting the MET 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Ihave had police turn up to my perm in Rutland after a complaint from a towny who had no idea of what goes on in the countryside luckyly the copper had a brain and we had a chat while the idiot watched him *tell me off *.Apparently this was not the first time he had done this and the police were thinking of warning him for wasting their time

23 hours ago, Scully said:

Exactly, and a competent police firearms department could not possibly be unaware of the name and contact details for a person who organises shooting on a large estate.  

I didn’t see a date on the video, but presumably this was a recent incident, taking place at the same time as police are seeking extended powers to enter property and seize items without warrant  (Government Survey, Question 1).    What a remarkable conincidence.

BASC advice published in 2010 was that “The police and certain authorities have the right to enter any property without a warrant if, and only if, they believe someone on that property has committed, is about to, or is actually in the process of committing an offence   .......

Police are subject to the same laws of trespass as the rest of the public and may only benefit from legal powers if they believe they can apprehend a person who has, is about to, or is actually committing an offence."

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/02/police_right_of_entry_firearms_seizures.pdf

On 27/07/2023 at 09:22, old'un said:

what a waste of police time, totally over the top reaction to hearing the sound of shooting in the countryside, thats why I have the name and phone number of every farm I shoot on.

As you rightly say , what a waste of police time , but these things are happening more and more , the new houses are spreading deeper and deeper into the countryside and on a lot of farmland people have, or think they have a right to roam , the chances of any member of the public getting charged for tresspass on farmland is virtually nil , I agree you can shoot ( safely ) on or near a footpath but you need to be in a position where you can see any member of the public before they can see you , as they won't think to kindly in hearing a loud bang and gun shot falling around them , for all they know they could have been shot at and it won't be long before you see a Blue flashing light coming your way .

You are dead right also in having the phone numbers of all the land owners ground you shoot over , I not only have the phone numbers I also have a map of the estate I shoot on so I can pin point the exact field I am on , written permission with the estates bill head at the top of the letter and a copy of my s g c , in the office they have got my car reg and my s g c expiry date and number . maybe over the top but better to have more than you require than not enough , the days from word of mouth in the police eyes are long gone .

19 minutes ago, holloway said:

Maybe one of our Basc representatives would like to pass comment, or if the persecuted shooters were Basc members get directly involved on there behalf.

I am a BASC member and emailed them yesterday with regards this over the top reaction by armed police officers and if anything could be done but as yet not had a reply.

the boys were aloud to shoot there farmer came and its fine for them to shoot, but police still took there guns,with all the knife crime going on,they still waist time im shore its for there training they have nothing better to do,they should been done for it,

I wonder if they had their certificates on them to prove legal ownership of guns ? That’s the only good reason for confiscating them it’s a puzzle why the police  were so clueless ,in this sort of case I always wonder if we get all of the story maybe someone who complained got threatened? Who knows .

3 hours ago, holloway said:

I wonder if they had their certificates on them to prove legal ownership of guns ? That’s the only good reason for confiscating them it’s a puzzle why the police  were so clueless ,in this sort of case I always wonder if we get all of the story maybe someone who complained got threatened? Who knows .

That was one of the reasons I advised keeping a photo copy of your s g c in your glove department along with the various written perms and the land owners phone numbers .