Summer is OVER - it's OFFICIAL

TIGHTCHOKE

33 minutes ago, countryman said:

Global warming don’t you know, we are burning up, apparently. Any one remember the drought and burning temperatures we had in the 70s. 

Last year was very similar , in fact we did get a record temp of 40 degrees for the first time , this year is the reverse , this weekend is the forth on the trot of unsettled cold and wet weather , today is going to be another wet and windy day with the temp getting in the dizzy heights of 17 degrees , as T C stated , Summer is nigh on over before it had begun .:drinks:

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yes we did , On the 28 th July 2022 it reached 40.3 in Coningsby in Lincolnshire .:good:

Was it measured in the same way that temperatures used to be measured, or was it measured the same way that the previous 'record' was measured in Heathrow, where they found a sun trap and measured there.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Was it measured in the same way that temperatures used to be measured, or was it measured the same way that the previous 'record' was measured in Heathrow, where they found a sun trap and measured there.

I cannot say how they measured it , but it will be in the records books as the first time somewhere in the UK reached 40 degrees , we were nearly as hot when it reached about 38 degrees at the same time , I know one thing , when I was going after some pigeons I was looking for the shade rather than the best spot .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I cannot say how they measured it , but it will be in the records books as the first time somewhere in the UK reached 40 degrees , we were nearly as hot when it reached about 38 degrees at the same time , I know one thing , when I was going after some pigeons I was looking for the shade rather than the best spot .

John, they did NOT measure the temperature in the standard way that has been used for years.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

John, they did NOT measure the temperature in the standard way that has been used for years.

Just looked it up Dave and the Met Office confirmed it was a new UK record for the hottest day , no doubt the gear to measure the temperature have moved on from the standard gear they have used over the years .

Just now, marsh man said:

Just looked it up Dave and the Met Office confirmed it was a new UK record for the hottest day , no doubt the gear to measure the temperature have moved on from the standard gear they have used over the years .

No, just the way they are measuring it, as well as hunting to find the hottest spot possible.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

No, just the way they are measuring it, as well as hunting to find the hottest spot possible.

Well we can only go by what they record , how , where ,  when and with whatever recording gear they use, we will have to accept that will be the record by the Met Office until it is broken again .

On 04/08/2023 at 17:36, old'un said:

Well never mind the Barbeque sales, I would invest in a few loafs of bread the way this wheat harvest is looking.

With the amount of rain we have had today it will take a few drying days to even get the combine on the field ,  in the early wet days the farmers were frustrated they couldn't get on , now I think they would move up a gear to being slightly concerned , this coming week is going to make difference with getting some of the laid stuff off . or if left the quality will get a lower premium .

10 hours ago, discobob said:

Do you mean on the Runway?? (RAF)

Back at Brize Norton it was known that it had its own microclimate due to a massive thermal (and black) mass known as a runway

Morning Bob.... I honestly couldn't tell you where they took the temp , our good friend Dave ( T C ) is clued up on the RA F and he might well know where it was , I was going on where and when was the hottest day ever in the U K and that is stated on the Met Office website .:good:

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

It looks like the weather will break next week as jet stream moves north. It may be short lived but I am hoping I can be out on the boat from Wednesday. This is a great site for weather. 

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/discussion.asp

I looked on the BBC local weather yesterday morning when I first got up and it showed the rain starting from 8 am to 8.30 and they were bang on and then rain all day with heavy bursts in the afternoon and start clearing out after 5 pm which it did , so overall a very good forecast , this morning is very windy and just stopped raining with a U F O in the sky . asking one or two of my neighbours it is confirmed to be the Sun , enjoy your boat trip .

On 05/08/2023 at 08:10, countryman said:

Global warming don’t you know, we are burning up, apparently. Any one remember the drought and burning temperatures we had in the 70s. 

yes when the West Indies touring team where playing Derbyshire at Buxton and the match got Snowed off !