Game Gun

chrislightning

Hi all, 

Whilst considering what driven game gun to purchase for the forthcoming season I’ve come across a couple of guns that I’m wondering if anyone’s owned, shot or handled in the flesh;

Chapuis super Orion 35

William Powell Perdix

Some back story on what I’m after, I shoot an Xs pro for practically all of my disciplines and I love it. It’s just too heavy for a fast day on the pheasants and doesn’t look particularly in keeping in the field. 

I do have a few others on the (not so) short list. But I’m really after a nice handling and nice looking gun. I don’t want to spend much above £2.5k. 

Thanks in advance. 
Chris 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Down South said:

B. Rizzini would be my choice, Aurum or Artemis. William Powell Perdix is the same manufacture.

B.Rizzini the best of the Rizzini clan.

Don`t discount the MacNab Highlanders made by B.Rizzini and with a solid top rib and half pistol grip. There`s a few sideplated versions well within your budget on GT.

4 minutes ago, button said:

Or Browning Game Traditional

This is on the list. I won’t lie, I’m looking for something a bit different when I pull it out the slip.

But that being said… I can’t get past the fact that this will undoubtedly fill the exact void I’m looking to. I also know I can get one brand new in the budget. So I’m with you. 

I’m puzzled why you would think your XS Pro won’t be fast enough for driven game; a mate uses his to great effect on driven pheasant and partridge, and my driven game guns are also my dedicated clay guns. 
I often use these same guns when decoying also, although admittedly the  Winchester trap gun may not be quite a nimble pigeon gun. More than a match for corvids however! 🙂
Driven pheasant are slow lumbering quarry compared to any other, and if your Pro is fast enough for clays it’s more than up to the job of pheasants.

If I was to recommend any gun it would the Browning Crown; my nephew uses his for clays and all his live quarry shooting, including decoying. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m puzzled why you would think your XS Pro won’t be fast enough for driven game; a mate uses his to great effect on driven pheasant and partridge, and my driven game guns are also my dedicated clay guns. 
I often use these same guns when decoying also, although admittedly the  Winchester trap gun may not be quite a nimble pigeon gun. More than a match for corvids however! 🙂
Driven pheasant are slow lumbering quarry compared to any other, and if your Pro is fast enough for clays it’s more than up to the job of pheasants.

If I was to recommend any gun it would the Browning Crown; my nephew uses his for clays and all his live quarry shooting, including decoying. 

In honesty my Xs pro hasn’t let me down on any game wether it be driven or decoyed. I shoot it with 32” barrels and have added quite a bit of counter weight to suit. I guess the main reason is adding to the small growing collection and to scratch an itch. I enjoy the selection/debate stage of a new shotgun as much as the picking of the final piece. I’d like to have a piece that is fitting in the field and traditional to a degree. 

In short I don’t disagree with your points but I also have to have a “believable” cover story when I walk through the door with another gun. 

Gape and consistent 110% reliable ejection are top of the list and no cross bolts or Kemen side lugs or anything of that matter. First before then considering fit and choke is always IMHO gape and 110% reliable ejection. And a gun that doesn't run back after it is opened (in other words the barrels come back towards the breech such that they need to be actually held down with the hand to maintain a good gape. After that I'd choose open choke unless you're one of those lucky people who ca hit anything ever shot at even at the closest of ranges with the tightest of chokes. The what next? AVAILABILITY OF SPARES! No good the best game gun O/U in the world if you can no longer get spares for it such as at the least a striker or firing pin and any important springs. Last on the list should be the figure in the wood. Go for strength and straight grain through the grip. 

1 minute ago, London Best said:

On a driven day nobody will see your gun when you pull it out of the slip.

Yes. That's absolutely true. Nowadays the craic that could be had comparing guns has long gone on most shoots I've been on. On the peg. Out the slip, shoot, in the slip, On to the next peg. Anonymous.

37 minutes ago, chrislightning said:

In honesty my Xs pro hasn’t let me down on any game wether it be driven or decoyed. I shoot it with 32” barrels and have added quite a bit of counter weight to suit. I guess the main reason is adding to the small growing collection and to scratch an itch. I enjoy the selection/debate stage of a new shotgun as much as the picking of the final piece. I’d like to have a piece that is fitting in the field and traditional to a degree. 

In short I don’t disagree with your points but I also have to have a “believable” cover story when I walk through the door with another gun. 

Then it’s got to be the Crown in my opinion, but as LB says, on a driven day only you will see it. 

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

Then it’s got to be the Crown in my opinion, but as LB says, on a driven day only you will see it

This. Not like when I started thirty-five years ago when everybody wanted to see what others were using (it was all side by side guns back then). Nowadays there's no interest. Which is a shame. 

6 hours ago, chrislightning said:

This is on the list. I won’t lie, I’m looking for something a bit different when I pull it out the slip.

But that being said… I can’t get past the fact that this will undoubtedly fill the exact void I’m looking to. I also know I can get one brand new in the budget. So I’m with you. 

When you "pull it out of the slip", you should be on the peg so nobody will see the gun!

Much better to buy something that fits you and allows you to shoot well.

I had a 32" 20 bore Apex which I used for game shooting, it was a lovely gun, but as my game shooting is now restricted to 4 or 5 days a season, I use my old S x S whilst I still can. I sold the Apex, but did take quite a hit compared to other makes of gun that I have owned. Make sure you buy at the right price  !

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

buy something with 26" barrells..and use 28 gm #7's...........dont forget these birds will be going into the food chain and dont need to be torn apart...a 26" barrell will give you fast handling

Yep. Everyone nails everything with 32/5 now not understanding that’s a 40 metre plus cartridge. 

36 minutes ago, Westley said:

I had a 32" 20 bore Apex which I used for game shooting, it was a lovely gun, but as my game shooting is now restricted to 4 or 5 days a season, I use my old S x S whilst I still can. I sold the Apex, but did take quite a hit compared to other makes of gun that I have owned. Make sure you buy at the right price  !

Thanks will do. 

All the above are good suggestions.a friend of mine has a chapuis c35, lovely gun for carrying but way too light for a busy peg.or indeed the extra thump from steel cartridges.i would stick with a Browning,as you know the feel of them and they obviously suit you.

P.s. I also 'get' what you mean about a game gun.it should look nice as well as shooting nicely.

1 minute ago, Mr grumpy said:

All the above are good suggestions.a friend of mine has a chapuis c35, lovely gun for carrying but way too light for a busy peg.or indeed the extra thump from steel cartridges.i would stick with a Browning,as you know the feel of them and they obviously suit you.

P.s. I also 'get' what you mean about a game gun.it should look nice as well as shooting nicely.

It is starting to look like it’s going to be Browning which is not a bad thing!