Reported today; NRW shelves licensing for gamebird release

JohnfromUK

The Countryside Alliance is reporting today that "Natural Resources Wales (NRW) told us that it has it shelved plans to license the release of game birds for the 2024/25 season and that it has discussed with Welsh Government ministers whether licensing will be required at all in the future."

That's great news. Well done to BASC, CA and all of the other orgs that put a lot of time into this over the summer. 

I expect to see this return with a vengeance in the next few years. Welsh government are hardcore lunatics and will never settle until shooting and fieldsports are consigned to the history books. 

There will be some AMs sat in the Senedd with their **** boiling right now so I expect some form of knee jerk reaction at the very least. Perhaps an Ireland style removal of wildfowl from the quarry list effective immediately or perhaps AI will make a sudden return and all shooting will be put on hold as a result. 

Edited by Poor Shot

7 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

That's great news. 

I expect to see this return with a vengeance in the next few years. Welsh government are hardcore lunatics and will never settle until shooting and fieldsports are consigned to the history books. 

There will be some AMs sat in the Senedd with their **** boiling right now so I expect some form of knee jerk reaction at the very least. Perhaps an Ireland style removal of wildfowl from the quarry list effective immediately or perhaps AI will make a sudden return and all shooting will be put on hold as a result. 

I wonder - maybe - hopefully some of these people are seeing we are a community and we do bring incredible benefits to biodiversity ?

Now is the time to engage further with your MPs - council leaders - head teachers 

Thanks to all PW members that responded to the consultation and especially the many that spread the word via their friends and clubs/syndicates and social media. The NRW update is a delay not a u-turn but it's certainly a good result for now so I think we should be positive and upbeat on that. Numbers count and I think we all need to keep the momentum going with bigger and bigger responses whenever restrictions to our activities and livelihoods are proposed and consulted on.

On 21/09/2023 at 21:09, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks to all PW members that responded to the consultation and especially the many that spread the word via their friends and clubs/syndicates and social media. The NRW update is a delay not a u-turn but it's certainly a good result for now so I think we should be positive and upbeat on that. Numbers count and I think we all need to keep the momentum going with bigger and bigger responses whenever restrictions to our activities and livelihoods are proposed and consulted on.

Have NRW actually said why they are delaying, is this some kind of tactic to be able to see and digest all feedback then hit harder next time they try. When the economic fall out of this type of restriction is so high, it baffles me as to why ( other than just a very anti agenda ) they would be pushing for this change..

Don’t rejoice yet, conor BASC appear not to quite put out the complete message, ie re 31st October advice which may be significant.

WJ are also claiming that lots of its members responded within the 42,000 responses.

Dear Stakeholder

As you are probably aware, we received over 42,000 responses to our recent consultation including some very detailed and technical submissions.

We are currently analysing and considering the responses, beginning with those relating specifically to the proposal to add common pheasant and red-legged partridge to Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and we will shortly be providing advice to Welsh Government and the Minister for Climate Change by 31 October 2023. We have provided copies of all the consultation responses to Welsh Government.

If the Minister makes the decision to add common pheasant and red-legged partridge to the Schedule, we will need to put in place a licensing response.

Considering the views of consultees is an important part of ensuring that any regulatory approach is workable, proportionate, and effective. Given the volume of consultation responses, we feel that having licensing in place in time for the 2024/5 shooting season is not achievable. We have decided, following discussions with Welsh Government, that, should licensing be required, it will not come into force until the 2025/6 season – a delay of 12 months from our original target.

This revised timetable will allow us to properly consider the responses to the consultation and engage with stakeholders, as well as honouring our commitment to give shoots in Wales sufficient time to prepare for any changes.

We will be in touch with you again when we have provided our advice to the Welsh Government.

Regards (NRW)

Edited by rbrowning2

19 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Don’t rejoice yet, conor BASC appear not to quite put out the complete message, ie re 31st October advice which may be significant.

WJ are also claiming that lots of its members responded within the 42,000 responses.

Dear Stakeholder

As you are probably aware, we received over 42,000 responses to our recent consultation including some very detailed and technical submissions.

We are currently analysing and considering the responses, beginning with those relating specifically to the proposal to add common pheasant and red-legged partridge to Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and we will shortly be providing advice to Welsh Government and the Minister for Climate Change by 31 October 2023. We have provided copies of all the consultation responses to Welsh Government.

If the Minister makes the decision to add common pheasant and red-legged partridge to the Schedule, we will need to put in place a licensing response.

Considering the views of consultees is an important part of ensuring that any regulatory approach is workable, proportionate, and effective. Given the volume of consultation responses, we feel that having licensing in place in time for the 2024/5 shooting season is not achievable. We have decided, following discussions with Welsh Government, that, should licensing be required, it will not come into force until the 2025/6 season – a delay of 12 months from our original target.

This revised timetable will allow us to properly consider the responses to the consultation and engage with stakeholders, as well as honouring our commitment to give shoots in Wales sufficient time to prepare for any changes.

We will be in touch with you again when we have provided our advice to the Welsh Government.

Regards (NRW)

Not sure why you think anyone is rejoicing nor why to single out BASC - there have been updates from BASC, CA and NGO on the NRW update.  As stated earlier and perhaps needs repeating - the NRW update is a delay not a u-turn but it's certainly a good result for now so I think we should be positive and upbeat on that. I don't know how many responses WJ generated but based on stats at our end I think the BASC 'Act Now' campaign generated the vast majority of the responses - I would be very surprised if that turned out not to be the case. 

22 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

I wonder how many of WJ's members have any actual experience of releasing game birds?  I should have thought that experience in doing so should lend weight to any response because there is no better way of learning about something than by doing it.

7 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Not sure why you think anyone is rejoicing nor why to single out BASC - there have been updates from BASC, CA and NGO on the NRW update.  As stated earlier and perhaps needs repeating - the NRW update is a delay not a u-turn but it's certainly a good result for now so I think we should be positive and upbeat on that. I don't know how many responses WJ generated but based on stats at our end I think the BASC 'Act Now' campaign generated the vast majority of the responses - I would be very surprised if that turned out not to be the case. 

Was not written as an attack on BASC just that no mention was made regarding the 31st and the consequences after that.

On 26/09/2023 at 20:33, rbrowning2 said:

Was not written as an attack on BASC just that no mention was made regarding the 31st and the consequences after that.

Thanks, if anything arises in that regard and we publish an update I will share that in this thread. May I ask which shooting organisation you are a member of?