Typing

Eyefor

2 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Is there not something on phones, computers that you just speak into it?

But that's not what the OP asked.

Personally, I'd go 'old school'.Β  A copy holder, or some means to hold a document up at eye level, and just practice copying out the the text whilst looking only at the screen.

If you can afford it, a mechanical keyboard gives much more 'tactile' feedback.

I'm not a touch typist by any means but I do at least use multiple fingers on each hand, and can type whilst looking at the screen.

You tube has loads of tutorials, My Son is a Copywriter and he is blisteringly faast on a keyboard, he can chat to me while typing, he learn't in school using the computers and as all things got better over time.

I on the other hand tend to use two fingers with the occasional thumb and little finger added, i have tried but am set in my ways and can't now be bothered even though i am on a computer all day.

Β 

I am sceptical about YouTube for this. When I realised computers where going to rule our lives over thirty years ago I accepted that one or two finger typing would not get me to a high enough level. I asked around and enrolled at the local college to learn to touch type at night school. Best investment in time and money I ever made. Without this I could not have done my job, particularly working from home without a Secretary or PA. Just worth thinking about!

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am sceptical about YouTube for this. When I realised computers where going to rule our lives over thirty years ago I accepted that one or two finger typing would not get me to a high enough level. I asked around and enrolled at the local college to learn to touch type at night school. Best investment in time and money I ever made. Without this I could not have done my job, particularly working from home without a Secretary or PA. Just worth thinking about!

This is what my wife (very competent typist) recommends too.

If I start wrong it can only get worse - plus, being an official old *** now, I can get "job application enhancement skills" courses for free.Β Β 

Thanks for all replies.

30 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

This is what my wife (very competent typist) recommends too.

If I start wrong it can only get worse - plus, being an official old *** now, I can get "job application enhancement skills" courses for free.Β Β 

Thanks for all replies.

Looking for job enhancement skills as an oldie? Maybe you just need to get out more?🀣

4 hours ago, welsh1 said:

You tube has loads of tutorials, My Son is a Copywriter and he is blisteringly faast on a keyboard, he can chat to me while typing, he learn't in school using the computers and as all things got better over time.

I on the other hand tend to use two fingers with the occasional thumb and little finger added, i have tried but am set in my ways and can't now be bothered even though i am on a computer all day.

Β 

I worked with a guy who could touch type looking at you whilst you dictated. He often finished typing the word before you finished speaking.Β 
Β 

spooky.Β 
Β 

he could also chat to you in general whilst typing his reports and maintaining perfect eye contact.Β 

8 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It's just practice. I can touch type and have a conversation at the same time, never been trained in it however it's what you are used to. A good job too as my handwriting is awful, more so since I had an injury. Google will have free tools if you have a look.Β 

Absolutely. Just like learning the guitar, it’s about muscle memory. Memorise the keyboard and start very slowly, gradually increasing the speed. Practice makes permanent