What is this thing?

walshie

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

No, they usually use a traditional collar formed from long rye grass, lined with check cloth and faced with leather with 'hames' that incorporate hooks that take the means of pulling the vessel. These are supported halfway down the body of the animal by leather straps that run from the crupper strap that fits under the horses tail at the rear and collar at the neck. The idea is that the pull [or angle of draft] is as straight as possible and everything has to be kind to the horse. All very similar to plough or cart harness. Breast harness does not use a collar but instead uses a wide strap that fits around then front or the animal's chest and the pull [or rather the horse pushes with both collar and breast harness].

I'm not sure I explained all that very well but having seen the subsequent photos of more of the contraption I am of a mind that it is the remains of some redundant bit of agricultural implement like the frame of a topper, old mower or some such. 

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

No, they usually use a traditional collar formed from long rye grass, lined with check cloth and faced with leather with 'hames' that incorporate hooks that take the means of pulling the vessel. These are supported halfway down the body of the animal by leather straps that run from the crupper strap that fits under the horses tail at the rear and collar at the neck. The idea is that the pull [or angle of draft] is as straight as possible and everything has to be kind to the horse. All very similar to plough or cart harness. Breast harness does not use a collar but instead uses a wide strap that fits around then front or the animal's chest and the pull [or rather the horse pushes with both collar and breast harness].

I'm not sure I explained all that very well but having seen the subsequent photos of more of the contraption I am of a mind that it is the remains of some redundant bit of agricultural implement like the frame of a topper, old mower or some such. 

Thank you.

Part of an old animal feed chopping machine?

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

so what is the swinging bracket thing then ...eh !

"If" it's the remains of a topper, it could either be for a (rusted away rear section) to hinge up if too much grass built up underneath or perhaps a towed chain rake.

It's defiantly old and probably had a fair amount of farmer/blacksmith bodgeification done to it.

I also think I'm slightly overinvested in this now!

Great photos Welshie and especially the one with the sizes.   I think definately an old Topper and I think extremely old as well and that is why many of us couldn't work out what it was.  Well done to whoever got it right.  Now what is your next photographs for us Welshie?????

Hah Ha Ha Pushkin:good:

21 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Great photos Welshie and especially the one with the sizes.   I think definately an old Topper and I think extremely old as well and that is why many of us couldn't work out what it was.  Well done to whoever got it right.  Now what is your next photographs for us Welshie?????

Hah Ha Ha Pushkin:good:

Stay tuned and find out..  😃

I reckon it's lying down and should actually be vertical.

The blue circled bits seem to be the pins for lower tractor arms.

The red circled bit looks like two flat steel strips that may have holes in to take a top link pin.

No idea what it is though. maybe a gearbox missing as the circular strip of steel has some sort of rotary shaft in the middle.

xIMG_20231028_141258051_HDRs.jpg.06fd012ad06b1aea5a8f18806d388d69.jpg.pagespeed_ic.zV6pTw7zyp.jpg.e9227c79b1e96e69a8790f2c48ac8b5d.jpg

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I bet he wishes he had NEVER found the damned thing.   

well ive been looking at it ..and the only way you can get a 3 point linkage on it is to stand it up

I WISH HE HAD NEVER FOUND THE DAMED THING:mad:

i think it might be some sort of either seed or fertilizer spreader ?

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, wisdom said:

The more I look at it I think it's off something I used to own.Could it be the frame off a vicon till sower.The waggly tube one not the disc spreader.circa 1970's

That sounds pretty good.

The hopper sits on that round ring with the top folding bar holding the top of the hopper.

The shaft through the circle is the agitator.............the rest is missing.

40 minutes ago, wyn said:

That sounds pretty good.

The hopper sits on that round ring with the top folding bar holding the top of the hopper.

The shaft through the circle is the agitator.............the rest is missing.

and the folding thing might have been alid ?

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Walshie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

think i have found out what it is

it is a TEAGLE PTO driven fertilizer spreader (Spinner type)

Made in TRURO Cornwall

dont know the date

Dichy you look like you have it !

IMG_2447.png

Better photo of steel work Ditchy 

IMG_2448.png