Contacting your local Mp.

Nublue 22

39 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yep self serving scum the lot of them.

the only way an MP will reply to you ...will be because it will be benificial for them to do so....if it puts them in a good light

the biggest self abuser of them all was is..HENRY (SIR) BELLINGHAM......and the Kings Lynn incinerator debacle.........slimy little yes man

My previous Tory MP (Sir Michael Spicer) was very good.  I think I wrote to him twice or three times in around 15 years - requesting he sign early day motions relating to helping shooting/fieldsports and flagged up by the BASC, Game Conservancy etc.  Each time I had a positive, clearly specifically written in reply to my request reply saying he was aware of the motion (by Sir Geoffrey Clifton Brown), and was in touch with Sir GCB and was going to/had signed.  It was finished off with a short hand written final paragraph and signed (by him).  The impression given was that he was acting for me/shooting, was liaising with the MP raising the matter (in fact a neighbouring constituency to ours) and was both interested, supportive and willing to help.  I don't know if he had any personal interest/involvement in fieldsports, but he always seemed to be broadly supportive.  He retired a while back on health grounds and has since died. 

I have written (I think only once) to his (also Tory) replacement.  I received a standard pre-printed reply to the effect that she does not sign motions at the request of correspondents/constituents and it was signed by a simple 'pp' (i.e. a secretary) on her behalf.  One was left with the strong impression that she had never read my letter and had no intention of doing so and couldn't care less. 

My constituency is a very safe Tory seat and she's clearly of the view that pleasing voters doesn't matter and isn't worth her time.  I also suspect that she is 'un-supportive' of  shooting/fieldsports, though I don't know that for certain.

In fairness to my MP, she will reply everytime (or someone does), the reply is next to useless, but I get a reply.

They do live in their own bubble though. When I told her that because of the Conservatives no longer being conservative, they had lost my vote and I wouldn't be voting Labour either, her reply was along the lines that, she was sorry to hear that I felt that I had no options and wouldn't be voting anymore, and asking what she could possibly do to change my mind.

I didn't get a reply when I explained that the Cons and Liebour are not the only options on the paper.

They are just too secure in the two party system, this has to change!

Edited by Newbie to this

I contacted David Warburton once and must say he was exceptionally helpful, he bent over backwards to help despite what I'd asked of him not being something he needed to get involved in as an MP.

I know he has since been accused of some sort of misconduct and resigned, but I can only speak as I find. He did a good deed when I and others I knew needed some help.

11 hours ago, Kalahari said:

If your MP doesn't rep;y to your letter write to themChief Whip of your MP's party, available on the Parliament web site, and complain.The MP will have their knuckles rapped.

David.

David, I applaud your faith in the system but my experience differs.

I have had need to write to Sir George Young a few times, and he was most helpful and frankly utterly charming and delightful to work with. All of the work was without personal gain to himself, and to my knowledge didn't serve towards PR or personal gain.

Genuinely I am so grateful to him, and he was thoroughly pleasant. I hope he enjoys retirement!