Police visit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has just had a visit booked, rang me up worried.

He hasn't used his shotgun since early 90s despite renewing every time no visit. Asked if he could shoot before visit so wouldn't loose it. We used to shoot together in a works group/club. Long since the firm went tits up.

When I told him how much ammo was he said something along the lines of "Oh dear I didn't know, probably sell it, do you want it"

It just maybe that the police are trying to get in unused guns.

8 minutes ago, Mable said:

A friend of mine has just had a visit booked, rang me up worried.

He hasn't used his shotgun since early 90s despite renewing every time no visit. Asked if he could shoot before visit so wouldn't loose it. We used to shoot together in a works group/club. Long since the firm went tits up.

When I told him how much ammo was he said something along the lines of "Oh dear I didn't know, probably sell it, do you want it"

It just maybe that the police are trying to get in unused guns.

Begs the question, why does your friend keep renewing his SGC with no use?

Perhaps the Police are just trying to get rid of unused guns.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Begs the question, why does your friend keep renewing his SGC with no use?

Perhaps the Police are just trying to get rid of unused guns.

That's the point I was making.

Unused since we worked together last, maybe 92? I have no idea why he hangs on to it, maybe he thinks he'll restart at some point or is it habit or maybe something else. I know he says he has no cartridges and no idea where to buy them or even shoot now.

5 minutes ago, Mable said:

That's the point I was making.

Unused since we worked together last, maybe 92? I have no idea why he hangs on to it, maybe he thinks he'll restart at some point or is it habit or maybe something else. I know he says he has no cartridges and no idea where to buy them or even shoot now.

Then it would appear the Police may be correct in his case.

I know await the furore about taking away an unneeded SGC.

I started my Brother in Law shooting when he was eleven. 
He is now sixty three. 
He has not used his gun since he was about twenty. 
He still keeps renewing his SGC. 
His gun was unused in my cabinet for twenty years until I suggested it was perhaps time he sold it. It was then he bought his own cabinet.

well that's the difference between section 1 and 2

section 1 you need to prove you should have it

section 2 they need to prove why you shouldnt

never thought about it that much and i honestly dont know were i stand on it.  whats the point in having a gun for 30 years never shot?. but then again why not? aslong as youre same and of sound mind.

There will come a time in everyone's shooting life a deciding factor , when you are at a age when you are very keen a five year span from one s g c to another don't really mean that much , you just play by the rules and renew it , no problem , then for various reasons when old age start knocking at the door we are no longer as keen on certain parts of field sports like you once were , with me I am coming to the end of my days wildfowling , I can no longer stick the cold , my eyesight can no longer pick the fowl out in poor light and even shooting a duck or goose no longer give me pleasure as it once did , all my guns I use regular are dual purpose and I haven't no longer got one particular gun I use sorely for wildfowling so I can still use my guns for Pigeon shooting and rough shooting , even those have now got a time span , I have cut down a lot on how many Pigeons I shoot due to lack of demand and the effort involved in shooting good numbers , and my dog will soon be getting towards the end of his working days due to stiff joints , so by having a casual visit from a f a o every so often might make you decide what you want to do with any unused guns or even if you want to still be the holder of the guns in the first place .    MM  

I had this reply today from BASC.

Thank you for your email.

Police are within their rights to ask to check security & they have done it the right way by making an appointment.

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law

18.12 Paragraph 22.3 of this guidance sets out the power of entry, subject to warrant, available to the police. While this is an important power, it should not be necessary to use in all cases where inspections/home visits are required as such enquiries or inspections may be carried out with the certificate holder’s consent. It is expected that responsible certificate holders will co-operate with reasonable requests to inspect security arrangements or other aspects of suitability, and failure to do so may be taken into account when police consider suitability to possess the firearms. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.

I opened the door to a firearms officer (unannounced)said he was just calling for a friendly chat as I was over 70,  and that’s what it was, talked about my health, about shooting and firearms in general, told me he had a meeting with BASC, about setting up a website for farmers and shooters to get together, which seems a great idea.

54 minutes ago, scouser said:

I opened the door to a firearms officer (unannounced)said he was just calling for a friendly chat as I was over 70,  and that’s what it was, talked about my health, about shooting and firearms in general, told me he had a meeting with BASC, about setting up a website for farmers and shooters to get together, which seems a great idea.

this bit i don't get?

the police know your age at the time of your last grant so if they need to have a talk about it why wasn't it done at that time unless they've had a heads up for medical reasons.

12 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

this bit i don't get?

the police know your age at the time of your last grant so if they need to have a talk about it why wasn't it done at that time unless they've had a heads up for medical reasons.

Oh come now, expecting any form of logic from the Police and the Licensing Department is a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

A lot of people maybe just keep renewing there certs although they dont have a gun thinking its easier than starting from scratch again 

That's what a friend of mine did, for at least 15 years, until ill health forced him to sell his shotguns and pack in shooting.

On 26/01/2024 at 10:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Then it would appear the Police may be correct in his case.

I know await the furore about taking away an unneeded SGC.

Couple of years ago I (club) was contacted by a stranger who held 2 shotguns asking if the club wanted them as “club”guns.

I asked why he was getting rid, turns out that upon renewal they asked him when he last used them?

He told them he hadn’t used them for years.

Within a day a firearms unit turned up and confiscated them.

Next day they returned them with a temporary license saying he has 2 weeks to get rid or they would be back to take them permanently.

Thats when he contacted me.

What am I supposed to do with a Purdey and a H&H 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just joking, one was a pump that didn’t and the other was a double barrel 410 folding poachers hammer gun, scrapped the pump and still have the 410.

Another time the police contacted me and asked if the club knew a Mr so & so, I said we have never heard of him, they said he had put our club down as somewhere he shoots on a regular basis, they just said we will take it from here.

:shaun:

On 25/01/2024 at 17:40, steve_b_wales said:

I received a telephone call yesterday from a firearms officer at south Wales police. He asked if it would okay to arrange a visit to 'inspect my security conditions'. I asked him if this is a new practice that south Wales police are carrying out, and he replied that this was not the case, but 'they' are just catching up on everything due to the backlog caused by Covid. I explained that my security conditions were inspected during my last co terminous renewal (2020) and that everytning was okay. But, he still wanted to arrange a visit (Friday 2nd Feb') jsut to check.

I have absolutely nothing to hide, my security conditions are excellent, and my house has an alarm fitted. I could have refused his request, but then what would have happened?

I have emailed BASC regarding this, and have asked for a reply.

Has anyone else had such a visit?

How did your visit go?

On 29/01/2024 at 00:00, shaun4860 said:

Couple of years ago I (club) was contacted by a stranger who held 2 shotguns asking if the club wanted them as “club”guns.

I asked why he was getting rid, turns out that upon renewal they asked him when he last used them?

He told them he hadn’t used them for years.

Within a day a firearms unit turned up and confiscated them.

Next day they returned them with a temporary license saying he has 2 weeks to get rid or they would be back to take them permanently.

Thats when he contacted me.

What am I supposed to do with a Purdey and a H&H 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just joking, one was a pump that didn’t and the other was a double barrel 410 folding poachers hammer gun, scrapped the pump and still have the 410.

Another time the police contacted me and asked if the club knew a Mr so & so, I said we have never heard of him, they said he had put our club down as somewhere he shoots on a regular basis, they just said we will take it from here.

Pity the stranger was not a member of a shooting organisation, as they probably would have told the police that there is no minimum use requirement for a section 2 shotguns, always assuming they were section 2.

Just think of the number of shotguns that must sit in gun cabinets never used.