State pension age - recommendation for age 71!!

Lloyd90

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My generation of worker started work at the age of 15 and worked for 50 years before drawing pension .

Because of the business model  of the unis and the govs idea of keeping the  figures low on unemployment  .We now seem to have many unavailable for work until  they are  twenty plus.Could they still be only working for fifty years just starting work older  making them older to draw pension .

7 minutes ago, scutt said:

My generation of worker started work at the age of 15 and worked for 50 years before drawing pension .

Because of the business model  of the unis and the govs idea of keeping the  figures low on unemployment  .We now seem to have many unavailable for work until  they are  twenty plus.Could they still be only working for fifty years just starting work older  making them older to draw pension .

UK population just under 68,000,000.

21,600,000 are on benefits of some form (a good chunk pensioners, having tops, housing benefit etc). 

I imagine the bigger problem is people not paying in at all, not people starting work a few years later. 

Actual UK population is probably in excess of 74 million. Illegals have access to NHS services, occupy a disproportionate amount of Police time and are a strain on the Prison Service.

Add on the massive scale of tax avoidance / benefit fraud etc and you see why the Government needs more money.

Well having been in construction for last 32yrs myself and anyone else turning 50 can vouch that they will not be able or safe on a building site at 70, yet if i was in a "government job" id be looking at early packages in next few years,,  instead of a new knee and sorting bad back,, so yea looking forward to my retirement that ill never see!

29 minutes ago, Genghis said:

I’m not factoring the state pension at all into my future plans. I’m glad I pay extra into my private pension.

You won’t be able to take that until much later now if they put the state age limit up! 

16 minutes ago, clangerman said:

further enslaved until 71 the reality of paying for someone else’s war zelensky will be overjoyed! 

so would you rather fund the Ukrainians to fight in Ukraine or wait till Putins lot get here and fight them in Chelmsford?

and back on topic, i'm in line for 66 and 10 months up to press for some reason.

so would you rather fund the Ukrainians to fight in Ukraine or wait till Putins lot get here and fight them in Chelmsford?

That isn't a sensible proposition. When we started funding the Ukraine, I did wonder how long the enthusiasm to pay would last. It seems to be running out out in more than one country.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

UK population just under 68,000,000.

21,600,000 are on benefits of some form (a good chunk pensioners, having tops, housing benefit etc). 

I imagine the bigger problem is people not paying in at all, not people starting work a few years later. 

Hello, The only way a Pensioner can get extra help is being on the Lowest Pension payment which is a very small income, 

47 minutes ago, millrace said:

Well having been in construction for last 32yrs myself and anyone else turning 50 can vouch that they will not be able or safe on a building site at 70, yet if i was in a "government job" id be looking at early packages in next few years,,  instead of a new knee and sorting bad back,, so yea looking forward to my retirement that ill never see!

Someone (can't remeber who) did suggest once that there should be a tiered system for drawing of state pensions, depending on you job, with those doing physical labour drawing earlier than those in offices.

It didn't get far

Edited by Newbie to this