State Pension

steve_b_wales

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Nice to see that the above is increasing from April. Going up from £815:40 to £884:80. Still not enough though, but better in my pocket than theirs.

No where near qualifying yet.

But both my Service pensions go up nicely each April.

The other half is a pensioner from today.she is going to continue to work her state pension is taken off her yearly tax allowance so after £1000 all that she earns is taxed. 

Edited by jeffgg
spelling

11 minutes ago, jeffgg said:

The other half is a pensioner from today.she is going to continue to work her state pension is taken off her yearly tax allowance so after £1000 all that she earns is taxed. 

I'm still working full time. I no longer pay National Insurance but my state pension is classed as income, and therefore I am taxed on it.

2 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm still working full time. I no longer pay National Insurance but my state pension is classed as income, and therefore I am taxed on it.

Tax tax and more tax but i is what it is 

Now in April this year the U.K. minimum wage will rise to £11.44 per hour . For a 40 hour week this works out at about £457.60  or in a 4 week month £1830.40 .

Just how are pensioners suppose to survive on £1000 a month less then the minimum wage ? 

I know pensioners  get various allowances and benefits , however its a mighty big gap in monthly income .

8.5% increase was based on inflation from last September I believe, two years ago inflation was high yet they only gave 3.1%. Started mine last September,£815.40 every 4 weeks,I stopped working 3 years ago,and paid no income tax since.No sense working past when you don’t have to and paying 20% or more to governments.

28 minutes ago, Jega said:

Now in April this year the U.K. minimum wage will rise to £11.44 per hour . For a 40 hour week this works out at about £457.60  or in a 4 week month £1830.40 .

Just how are pensioners suppose to survive on £1000 a month less then the minimum wage ? 

I know pensioners  get various allowances and benefits , however its a mighty big gap in monthly income .

With the £457.60 a week they lose £64.76 to tax and national insurance,also their pension contributions,and travel to work expenses,probably end up with £350. Works out at £3.20 an hour above the April state pension,not a lot really!

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

They will take it back somewhere else 🤔

Yes,council tax going up about 10% for a start,so £220 extra a year if band D here! Then water up,broadband up 8%,insurance up massively, tv license up by about £20.

39 minutes ago, Jega said:

I am in receipt of my State Pension.  I do not receive any  " various allowances and benefits".

I am glad I had the opportunity  to pay tax and insurance throughout my 50 years of paid employment. My family are grateful for all the medical treatment, education and security that our tax money contributes towards.

My only advice to those still working is to try and provide towards your own retirement and not rely 100% on the state.

Regards

4 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

I am in receipt of my State Pension.  I do not receive any  " various allowances and benefits".

I am glad I had the opportunity  to pay tax and insurance throughout my 50 years of paid employment. My family are grateful for all the medical treatment, education and security that our tax money contributes towards.

My only advice to those still working is to try and provide towards your own retirement and not rely 100% on the state.

Regards

Exactly right. The pension was never intended to provide a living wage, only cover the absolute bare minimum. Frankly the state pension is unaffordable but governments are tied by the voting power of pensioners. An 8.5% rise is an insult to the average worker only recieving 6. The triple lock needs to end asap before the country goes broke because of it.

3 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

Exactly right. The pension was never intended to provide a living wage, only cover the absolute bare minimum. Frankly the state pension is unaffordable but governments are tied by the voting power of pensioners. An 8.5% rise is an insult to the average worker only recieving 6. The triple lock needs to end asap before the country goes broke because of it.

So how exactly are pensioners meant to live on "the bear minimum"?

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

So how exactly are pensioners meant to live on "the bear minimum"?

By saving and paying into a private pension during your working life, selling that 5 bedroom home or continuing to work if that's not enough. By definition the bare minimum is enough to live, just.

4 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

Perhaps you’re forgetting that 8.5% of £203.85 a week is only £17.32 before tax if applicable. Yet if a worker gets 6% on £600 a week they get £36 extra before tax,so are far better off! The triple lock must stay to protect today’s pensioners and you and and all future pensioners!

2 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

By saving and paying into a private pension during your working life, selling that 5 bedroom home or continuing to work if that's not enough. By definition the bare minimum is enough to live, just.

Continuing to work in their demanding physical jobs past 66? Ridiculous! Employers would soon get rid and employ young fit workers! We don’t all sit behind desks do we?

2 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Perhaps you’re forgetting that 8.5% of £203.85 a week is only £17.32 before tax if applicable. Yet if a worker gets 6% on £600 a week they get £36 extra before tax,so are far better off! The triple lock must stay to protect today’s pensioners and you and and all future pensioners!

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, because the working person will also have more outgoings which will have increased in price. That's why inflation is given as a percentage and why increases are given as a percentage to strip out differences. The truth is my generation won't get a retirement at all, because we will have spent all the money paying for a long and fulfilling retirement for the previous generation. Just look at the increasing %GDP being spent on the state pension and you will see it's not sustainable. We need to be spending that money on giving youngsters the best possible opportunities in life, not for people to go out for coffee and cake 5 days a week.

6 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, because the working person will also have more outgoings which will have increased in price. That's why inflation is given as a percentage and why increases are given as a percentage to strip out differences. The truth is my generation won't get a retirement at all, because we will have spent all the money paying for a long and fulfilling retirement for the previous generation. Just look at the increasing %GDP being spent on the state pension and you will see it's not sustainable. We need to be spending that money on giving youngsters the best possible opportunities in life, not for people to go out for coffee and cake 5 days a week.

When I was working a few years ago, the only extra outgoings I had was travelling to work costs,everything else,housing,council tax,food, bills all the same! We need to get the state pension up to a decent level,probably by taxing more those on above about £40k, to ensure the pension is there for everyone indefinitely.

Look I'm being a bit of a wind up, but you have to see the flaw in the logic. Why should somebody be working 60h a week to earn 40k to pay for their children's upbringing and a mortgage on a vastly over priced house in order to pay for you to live a life of Riley doing what you want all week?

I'm not saying the pension shouldn't exist, but it should be the bare minimum and I think it's gone way beyond that and people are claiming it for far too long.

21 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

When I was working a few years ago, the only extra outgoings I had was travelling to work costs,everything else,housing,council tax,food, bills all the same! We need to get the state pension up to a decent level,probably by taxing more those on above about £40k, to ensure the pension is there for everyone indefinitely.

Agreed, my only reduction in expenses is the saving on travel costs to and from work. That is offset by increased fuel bill, with more time spent at home.

Bigroomboy, wind up or not you are coming across as bitter/jealous bordering on insulting.

Regards

Edited by benbobailey

Triple lock is a joke. These benefits are out of hand and need to be capped and cut back to something more affordable. We cannot afford to pay these benefits without more tax. We already have the highest taxes ever something has to give. 

The choice is simple. Cut benefits or generate more tax. Every time we increase benefits for pensioners we take money out of the pocket of workers. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Triple lock is a joke. These benefits are out of hand and need to be capped and cut back to something more affordable. We cannot afford to pay these benefits without more tax. We already have the highest taxes ever something has to give. 

The choice is simple. Cut benefits or generate more tax. Every time we increase benefits for pensioners we take money out of the pocket of workers. 

I receive state pension, which I contributed towards for 50 years. I feel no bitterness towards the people who benefited from my contributions.

What a sad nation of sour, mean people  we have become.