4x4 estate

Ttfjlc

Afternoon, I was wondering if anyone uses/owns a 4x4 estate car as their main vehicle? I’m looking to change my car soon, I’ve read a lot about trucks & SUVs and can’t really make up my mind. I have no need for a serious mud plugger, between work & wildfowling my 2wd Volvo was mainly on tarmac last season. 

I joined a new club where unbeknownst to me one of the access points which looks ok in the summer gets churned up by farm machinery in winter and I got stuck one morning. One or two of the other access points are solid roads but are pretty rough. Having driven estates for around 10 years I was thinking of something with a bit more ground clearance but I’m sure some SUVs don’t appear to have that much more clearance than some 4x4 estate cars, thanks for your time. 

Thanks all, I do like the Audi allroad a4 & a6, is it true the cvt box in the Subarus isn’t the best?

@scarecrow243 my dad has had 3 isuzu dmaxs now, funnily enough it was a dmax which pulled me out when I got stuck, I asked the bloke if he wanted me to reverse while hooked up to the tow rope, he just smiled and said it’ll be fine and pulled me out like he was towing a go kart 🙂

I had a Skoda Octavia scout for a few years ex lease and dirt cheap, worked really well with the AWD system and is basically the same underneath as the Audi's. I eventually came back to the same AWD system with a yeti after a couple of different cheap cars and apart from lack of tyre choice I can't complain at the build quality or the car in general.

Tyres - are one of the most important items, car summer tyres or similar will be useless, I have seen and towed quite a few Range Rovers and similar out of fields or muddy tracks when shod with the wrong tyres. 

You need to consider all terrain tyres or at least tyres with a more chunky tread pattern.  On my AWD I use Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres which are rated for light off road use, not been stuck yet !!! 

1 hour ago, Ttfjlc said:

Thanks all, I do like the Audi allroad a4 & a6, is it true the cvt box in the Subarus isn’t the best?

@scarecrow243 my dad has had 3 isuzu dmaxs now, funnily enough it was a dmax which pulled me out when I got stuck, I asked the bloke if he wanted me to reverse while hooked up to the tow rope, he just smiled and said it’ll be fine and pulled me out like he was towing a go kart 🙂

I have a Forester with CVT and it is absolutely fine.  You can also change gears manually with paddles on the steering wheel if that is your thing.

Edited by Weihrauch17

45 minutes ago, B391 said:

Tyres - are one of the most important items, car summer tyres or similar will be useless, I have seen and towed quite a few Range Rovers and similar out of fields or muddy tracks when shod with the wrong tyres. 

You need to consider all terrain tyres or at least tyres with a more chunky tread pattern.  On my AWD I use Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyres which are rated for light off road use, not been stuck yet !!! 

I used to put those tyres on my 90 for Summer road use! 
Useless in Winter fields.
BFG mud terrain rules!

I use cross climate on my Passat. 
Got out of a muddy boggy grass car park ok while some crossovers were stuck. 
could have been assisted by a bit of luck and avoiding the massively churned up bits though. 

I do keep a set of snow socks in the boot and they are surprisingly handy as long as you put them on before you are stuck. 

Edited by ph5172

My last motor was a Honda CR-V , a superb motor and never got stuck once on a shoot day and it went wherever the gun wagon went , a big boot that can easily hold two or three dogs , my new car is a Vauxhall 4 x 4 Mokka , it is all right and again I never got stuck in last very wet season , nowhere near the same boot space but nice and warm with the heated seats and steering wheel , ideal on a very cold day , although my next car will possibly be another Honda .

Posted (edited)

Geez people I was hoping someone would say the 4x4 estate was the best thing since sliced bread 🙂, joking aside I really can’t make my mind up, the convenience of everything being in the back of a pickup truck is appealing but I also like the cheaper running costs of a car/suv, I was talking to someone who owns a vw Amarok, lovely looking truck, he said if he takes it really steady he gets 30 mpg, otherwise the norm is around 27 mpg….SUVs then look more appealing 🙂

Edited by Ttfjlc
Giant emoji !

What you need is a 4x4 estate car for normal running around and a 4x4 jap pickup for shooting. I had a Audi A6 Allroad and a Nissan Navara, now it's a Vauxhall Insignia 4x4 Country Tourer and a Mitsubishi L200, but I'm just greedy. 🤣🤣

Not an a estate , but the skoda yeti 4x4 is a top class vehicle.  I have one it's a commercial vehicle.  As it has no back seats, called a yeti sherpa. 2L 150 BHP. I have had Van's ,various jeeps,  this is best of both worlds. Plenty of poke, super reliable,  Economical to run,  very comfortable,and good off road capabilities.  Obviously not for serious off roading,  but plenty good enough for me. I do travel some rough ground. Brilliant vehicle.  

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

Not an a estate , but the skoda yeti 4x4 is a top class vehicle.  I have one it's a commercial vehicle.  As it has no back seats, called a yeti sherpa. 2L 150 BHP. I have had Van's ,various jeeps,  this is best of both worlds. Plenty of poke, super reliable,  Economical to run,  very comfortable,and good off road capabilities.  Obviously not for serious off roading,  but plenty good enough for me. I do travel some rough ground. Brilliant vehicle.  

I had a 2015 170 BHP DSG Yeti before my Forester, the Forester is better.  The Yeti was very good though.

I've got a Dacia Duster 4x4 and it does the type of work which you are asking your vehicle to do, wildfowling, with dog and kit in the back. Also go fishing and travel along muddy tracks to get to the river. 

19 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Skoda Yeti in 4x4 flavour could be another option, but more of a smaller SUV.

14 minutes ago, Penelope said:

is it true the cvt box in the Subarus isn’t the best?

It is probably just my prejudice, but I don't like the idea of CVT transmission and certainly there were questions about reliability on earlier ones.  I have only driven one and couldn't get used to it in the short time I had it on loan.

From what I have read (and I did quite a bit of research recently as I have just said 'goodbye' to my diesel BMW 3 series estate after a pleasant 16 years with it), in fact now they are no less reliable than other transmissions, but you can always find reports on line of someone who has had trouble for any item!

One of my problems was that I tend to buy a nearly new car - then (assuming it suits) keep it for a long time.  The recently departed BMW was just under 1 year old when I bought it and almost 17 when I traded it in.  For that reason I look for these things;

1. Likely to last 15 years of my usage without major incident or repair
  2. Long (or extendable) manufacturer (or manufacturer supported) warranty (i.e. NOT a separate warranty company).

For that reason at present anything involving any battery (other than usual starter battery) would put me off as the life/replacement costs seem to be very 'vague'.  I would also not go for any make/model where there is a significant risk of major failure outside warranty.  I know two people who have had massive bills arrive unexpectedly from 'known weak areas' failing (Google Ingenium or SVD6 engine problems).  It probably wouldn't happen - but it's a nasty shock to the bank balance if it does.

I have a forester, the last of the manuals (2018) and I've had an xv and an older outback in the past. I don't think you can beat subaru for all round ability. As others have said, tyres make a difference but I've been places in a subaru on cheapo tyres that many other cars on expensive rubber wouldn't touch. Get an outback if you like the estate look although I'd argue a forester is slightly more practical. Nothing wrong with the cvts but autos aren't my thing. Sad that subaru won't be making a manual car in future, my current car will be my last.

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

I have a forester, the last of the manuals (2018) and I've had an xv and an older outback in the past. I don't think you can beat subaru for all round ability. As others have said, tyres make a difference but I've been places in a subaru on cheapo tyres that many other cars on expensive rubber wouldn't touch. Get an outback if you like the estate look although I'd argue a forester is slightly more practical. Nothing wrong with the cvts but autos aren't my thing. Sad that subaru won't be making a manual car in future, my current car will be my last.

Having had 3 Disco's (1 x 1 & 2 x 2's) and a 170 BHP 4 x 4 Yeti as shooting vehicles my current 2014 CVT Petrol Forester is the best shooting truck I have had.  Absolutely love it.