Small 4x4

Rat Boy

Looking for a small/medium 4x4. I shoot crows, pigeons on a large farm. Maximum mileage would be 10 miles each way.  In the winter some of tracks are very muddy and uneven. There is only me and the shooting gear. A Jimny looks like a good option. Any other options ????? Max spend £8K 

On an estate where I was picking up, the guy who placed out the 'Guns' had a Jimny. It was a really muddy estate, with guns vehicles always getting stuck, the Jimny just seemed to keep going regardless and never got stuck......ever  ! Bloomin awful vehicle on the road, just about enough room for a gun and a couple of boxes of cartridges, but it 'floats' over the soft stuff with ease.

There's still occasional exceptionally good shogun Pinin's about with minimal rust - a smaller version of the Pajero with the same 2wd/4wd/ difflock boxes in some of them. You'd need to be able to check underneath any you look at because some are even worse than Jimny's.

I know this for a fact as I buy some 'project' Pinin's and currently have a 5 door one in progress with NO rust on the inner sills where most go, no rusted strut tops, no rusted front crossmembers and no mention of rust in its MOT history. And no sign of welded repairs anywhere.

I don't think its ever been used on salted roads. I bought it from a farmer who'd had it sorned for a while and let his boys learn to drive in his fields before they totally burnt out the clutch so I had to get it recovered after they used a tractor to get it out of mud.

Jimmy’s are superb off road but the prices second hand ones are going for are ridiculous. We had to scrap my wife’s 2006 last year because of rust underneath. So if you go for one be bloody careful they are awful for rust, behind headlights, all inner sills, tool pan in the rear and rear wheel arches.

i,would love another bit for the money I am not convinced they are good value any more. I want something to,supplement my van and for the same money as a Jimny have a lot of other choices including freelander.

1 hour ago, ant.mass said:

What about Rav4 or a
Suzuki grand vitara

The older RAV 4's were good.

Be aware that more recent ones (maybe post 2018 or thereabouts) not really 'off road', there are no diesels and some are part electric and most versions are not even 4wd.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

For 8k I’d buy a 64 plate RAV4 2.2 diesel or a Subaru Forestor petrol 2.0

We had a Forester & I took it all over picking up & never got it stuck.

We had a guy in a Dacia picking up with us last season, it struggled a bit on some of the big loose climbs but he made it to every drive.

If I was in the market for a sub 10k 4x4 i'd have a RAV, sub 70k miles ones start at 7k ish for 11 plate & newer.

Terios mk2 . 
I’ve a set of insa turbos tyres on mine and I’ve sank it twice this year up to the chassis . It’s got out both times .

I had the landowner tell me recently I’ll never get up the hill to my high seat 😂. Apparently the tractor couldn’t make it . Challenge accepted 😂😂. I made it just. The only downside is no low range box and the 1.5petrol can run out of stomp if it’s not revved . 
After visiting Walker 570 I thought I’d nip down the green lanes to get home . A Toyota hilux turned around and I made it 😂😂
£2400 inc tyres and spotlights.