Attaching sign to a tree

Dougy

After a bit of guidance, 

ive got some signs to put up in some woodland, simple "Private Woodland Please Keep to the footpath" 3 in total 30x50cm all will be above 8 feet so out of reach of potential damage. 

I have decided on 2 options, not a difficult choice i know, its either brass screws or nails, 

Which one, ??? i will probably use the same tool for attaching either. 😄

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, What about some nice cord rather than screws or nail, i put up a feeder using some thick cord

Didn't think of that, more difficult getting the rope round the trunk, or branches. But with looking at. 👌 

Stainless steel screws / nails do the least damage to a living tree, but i secure all my squirrel feeders with gripple. No damage at all and you can adjust/ remove quite easily.

Just now, Dougy said:

Didn't think of that, more difficult getting the rope round the trunk, or branches. But with looking at. 👌 

Hello, That is the only problem so you may need some help, i found 2 wraps around the tree trunk fixed tight and would not move or damage tree

14 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

But the fair give you a fright when they blunt your chainsaw or at the sawmill 

I'll be long gone by the time that happens. 

I caught a nail or piece of barbed wire fencing using a chainsaw once, learnt a valuable lesson that day.  WEAR PPE 

9 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I'll be long gone by the time that happens. 

I caught a nail or piece of barbed wire fencing using a chainsaw once, learnt a valuable lesson that day.  WEAR PPE 

Yes it will be that long you will have forgotten about the nails or screws  just maybe use a bit fence wire and tighten it a bit with a screwdriver spinning it to tension 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

If you do it that way,  make it loose and start at the bottom,  it's lots easier than trying to whip it around and catching it 😅😅

I'd just make sure not to put the signs up on anything nice that someone might want to use in 30 years time.

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Which one, i will probably use the same tool for attaching either. 😄

That's hilarious 😂 

8 foot up in,a tree.?  No one is going to see it up there considering everyone walks along looking at the ground 2ft in front of them or looking at their mobile... ALL of the time... Put it flat on the ground at least it will be seen by some and they wont have to chuck it on the ground.  I've seen people walking along the footpath in the dark looking at their phone. It could be possible that they would fall down an open manhole. 

14 minutes ago, Minky said:

8 foot up in,a tree.?  No one is going to see it up there considering everyone walks along looking at the ground 2ft in front of them or looking at their mobile... ALL of the time... Put it flat on the ground at least it will be seen by some and they wont have to chuck it on the ground.  I've seen people walking along the footpath in the dark looking at their phone. It could be possible that they would fall down an open manhole. 

Hopefully....................:w00t:

I joke not.  There's a couple that mooch around and all you can see is their illuminated faces.  Considering that there was a sink hole in a main road and the fowl drain is about 15 ... 20 ft deep there would be no return.  Also what's the point of putting up signs no one takes a blind bit of notice.  If kwis deems that it's his human right to roam through your wood do you really 5hink that he'll take any notice..?

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

Cable ties ?

I've got some 900mm cable ties but I'll need 3 + .

I'm going to screw them up with a decent hammer after a cup of tea. 

Thanks for the suggestions 😀.  

Do nothing or do something. Either way you can't win. 

I'm trying 👌 that's enough for me. 

But 1 thing is I can now tell wondering walkers to get back on the footpath. 

Shot a munty a while ago, got down from my seat and in less than 2 mins he was stood at the bottom of the seat looking up. 

I didn't see him a mate did in another seat. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Do nothing or do something. Either way you can't win. 

I'm trying 👌 that's enough for me. 

But 1 thing is I can now tell wondering walkers to get back on the footpath. 

Shot a munty a while ago, got down from my seat and in less than 2 mins he was stood at the bottom of the seat looking up. 

I didn't see him a mate did in another seat. 

The Munty? :)

I was once gralloching the morning’s two Muntjac when two cyclists suddenly appeared and pulled up. It went something like this: 

“What are you doing?”

”I’m just removing the working parts from these two deer.”

”Are you allowed to do that in here.”

”I’ll have you know I pay His Grace a great deal of money to be in here, unlike you two who have no business being in this private woodland at all, let alone riding b***** bikes!”

Disgruntled cyclists exit stage left, muttering.

I once pulled up the truck having seen a munty go into a wheat field. Got the rifle on the sticks and waited, as expected 5 or so minutes it came out about 70yds and cleanly shot. What I hadn't noticed a cyclists had waited till for me to take the shot. He was behind me, he stopped had a chat, he told me he didn't want to spook the deer so kept back. Nice chap, there not all weirdos 😆