Roast chicken dinner

Lloyd90

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its a bit thick for my taste..

Yes, also a bit thick for my liking but I don't now what Lloyd used to make his gravy, I always use gravy granules, chicken or beef, usually add some rice vinegar, mixed herbs, onion powder, garlic powder and a vegetable stock cube plus any juices from the pan.

8 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yes, also a bit thick for my liking but I don't now what Lloyd used to make his gravy, I always use gravy granules, chicken or beef, usually add some rice vinegar, mixed herbs, onion powder, garlic powder and a vegetable stock cube plus any juices from the pan.

My old man would always add the veg water. 
still to this day don’t know if it makes the gravy taste any different 

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its a bit thick for my taste..

agree

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

gravy.jpg.b9faa7ef61d93f34d3842ab6b472e0f0.jpg

I only found out the other day that this is vegetarian! always assumed it was beef

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

plus any juices from the pan.

Indeed

3 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

indeed

Edited by islandgun

3 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

Yep, if we are doing veg I always use the potato water.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

How did you makethe gravy please

Bisto best, nicer than the cardboard tub, comes in a glass jar. 

Add the meat juices and water from the veg. 

Nothing worse than runny gravy. 

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nothing worse than runny gravy. 

Fake, charlatan, that's not proper gravy out of a packet. :)

With a decent bird like that might I humbly suggest that next time you pop a Lemon, cut in half, and some fresh Thyme inside the bird then roast it on a trivet of Carrots and Onions, the juice from the  chicken in the roasting tin and the veg water, along with whichever gravy granules you prefer will make superb gravy. Looks perfect to BTW.

Edited by bruno22rf

14 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

With a decent bird like that might I humbly suggest that next time you pop a Lemon, cut in half, and some fresh Thyme inside the bird then roast it on a trivet of Carrots and Onions, the juice from the  chicken in the roasting tin and the veg water, along with whichever gravy granules you prefer will make superb gravy. Looks perfect to BTW.

I did roast it on a bed of onions :) I find with these birds mind you don’t get a lot of juice off them, I assume because they aren’t brined / soaked in / injected with salt water to inflate the weight. 

Just get a bit of fat come off that’s good to add in. 

Always cook all roasts on a trivet over 10mm of water with a lid on  - result moist meat and a liquor that makes a good gravy when seasoned ( I tend to use Worcestershire sauce and tom puree)  and thickened with corn flour, needs browning for colour.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Always cook all roasts on a trivet over 10mm of water with a lid on  - result moist meat and a liquor that makes a good gravy when seasoned ( I tend to use Worcestershire sauce and tom puree)  and thickened with corn flour, needs browning for colour.

Will it still crispy up then though? The chicken skin and drumsticks had a deep crunch like pork crackling! Was fab! 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

pork cra
Will it still crispy up then though? The chicken skin and drumsticks had a deep crunch like ckling! Was fab! 

'fraid not - but then I am not a fan of pork crackling either:lol:.  Would rather have moist meat and good gravy.

13 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Looks a very nice plateful, but the gravy would be a little thinner for my version. 

I also use veg water.  I never salt the veg when cooking if I'm to use the water for gravy.  It can give the gravy more flavour (depends on the veg), but I believe you might get a bit of 'goodness' that way.  Vitamins?

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

That's pretty much what I do (I know it's a cheat), but use a few less granules, and a bit more veg water. 

Sometimes add a splash of Worcestershire sauce, a bit of horseradish or a pinch of mustard powder with beef, or a few herbs (sage and thyme) with chicken, or a few bits of rosemary and a bit of redcurrant jelly with lamb and game.  Adds variety.