Official shooting permission

starlight32

Gonna test the water on this one.... How many have actual written shooting permission, do you have just verbal and if there is problem just call the farmer?

Got to be honest I have have shot over a lot of ground over the last 20 years and never had anything other than a verbal permission,

Exclude FAC form this as it is a different matter for that.

Edited by starlight32

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i shoot over 18 farms iv had for years, the longest farm is 30 years.and never had any thing in writing,only ever shown my licence two the police 2 times, and all was ok.i have shot for 45 years.all my farmers are great.get on very well with them, i even shoot on a judges farm,

Edited by mossy835

The day the armed response unit turns up, is the day that you will wish that you had taken the trouble to get your permission in writing, and kept a copy in the car.

**** law dictates that your verbal permission will deny that you have permission when he sees a load of police, or be on holiday, in hospital, out for the day etc. Any of which will get you a ride in a police car, and a spell in a police cell.

Verbal permission is fine, but sadly proves nothing!

webber

Written permisson - As said remove the issues of proving your not tresspassing to the police and also nearby hercule poirot's who come and ask. Having said that I have lost my copy of the written permission that I have (although I have obviously sent a copy to the FEO).

In the grand scheme of things if you have it in writing 'you have provable permission' if you have it as a verbal agreement and (heaven forbid) **** law plays a part (really extreme I know but still) you get nicked on suspicion of tresspass with a firearm - and whilst your trying to explain your way out of the nick your friendly farmer (who granted you the permission) goes on holiday - your stuffed. (hope you get bailed for more than 2 weeks).

I have been shooting my friends farms for the past 40 years and have never had written permission . The only time that i have written permission is when my firearms certificate is due . Then my friend signs a letter that i send to the police . As for the use of the shot gun over the 3000 acres i only have a verble ageement . I sure if the cops came after me i would soon be able to prove to them that i had permission to be there . Harnser .

I only have Verbal, I was stopped by the police a month ago while shooting, all they said is.What are you doing?? Lamping with an air rifle i replied, do you have permission?? they said. Yes i do.! They took my name and address gave me a card with their phone number on and said call them b4 i go out so they know there's someone on the field with a gun,I have the landowners mob number on me at all times but he wouldnt ever say i shouldn't be there. I did mention i had a shotgun but it wasn't with me,i thought they might have asked me if i had a license. but i suppose the pnc check will have shown i have

Edited by richie76

Its not a legal requirement even for an fac grant.

seen it produced by a known poacher and get him out of bother despite my complaints to the bobby that it was a forged document .

been asked to produce it me self to be told by the bobby reading it " this could have been written by anyone" so had to phone the farmer to come and clear it up.

as for farmers going on holiday and leaving farms unattended no chance.

none open ticket holders have all there land listed with the firearms department who are open 24 hours a day for such inquiries.

open ticket holders dont and are the most at risk of over keen Bobby's.

a lot of mine are one of calls to shoot the odd fox, i have to trust some folk at times,

and i have yet to be arrested/locked up or have my rifles taken.

but i once had a Arv cop who tried very hard to take my shotgun despite the farmer stood at his side telling him it was all legit.his boss was not best pleased either.

I'm sure that McF wont mind my repeating one of his tales, which occurred before I had any association with him.

McF had been shooting on land to which he had held verbal permission for several years. After ending his session he made his way to the car, whence he was stopped and questioned by the police. McF explained the situation. Unfortunatley the farmer had reached a certain age, and denied emphatically that McF had his permission, or that he had ever seen him before.

Rifle confiscated, McF was in the process of being bundled into a police car, when a car pulled into the yard, and the lady driver asked the police what was going on. She advised the police that McF did have permission, he had shot there fore several years, and that they should pay no attention to her father, whom was suffering from dementure.

markbivvy is quite correct in stating that written permission is not a legal requirement. However, be aware that armed trespass is a criminal offence, and written permission will certainly assist in proving facts quickly, even if its only something as simple as the farmers telephone number.

Properly organised, written permission takes little effort, but can save a great deal of time and grief at a stressful time if you are unlucky enough to need to explain yourself to police whilst conducting your lawfull activity.

webber

I know this is for fac but its for the land i use shotgun on aswell.The permission letter i sent for firearms application was sent back to me stamped and signed by the firearms licensing dept,which is a damn good idea me thinks.So i can produce a letter that plod cant say i have knocked up myself.But i must confess before i had a fac i had nothing in writing.

I must recommend that all shooters and ferreters get written permission, with FAC applications its all listed on the Police Firearms Computer, all your permission, all there phone numbers, anyone else with permission on that land. I am not sure if thats the case with shotgun cert's.

So they know if you have permission as soon as they check your ticket on the system, the days of getting nicked on Suss should be over :lol:

I get the Law called out quite a bit due to some mean and nasty "Town Folk" who have bought country retreats and think they own all the land that they can see :yes:

I just slip away as soon as I hear the two tones, but then I do not drive about my permission so its easy to just wander off.

I have written permision on all but one of them. Some are unknown to plod as they were cleared for other shooters when I had a semi-open ticket. I now have an open and tell em now't unless they're called out. As far as I'm aware the only land recorded to your ticket is the one used to establish good reason, which is your base permission.

I understand - but could be wrong that the base permision has to be re-signed at renewals. Questions may be asked if that is lost or changes... perhaps someone could confirm this for me please?

mine is all mixed and down to farmer preferences.

some is in writing

some by text message each time from the farmer to me

some by phone call for shooting on a specific occasion and crop rather than general shooting permission, so a blanket letter will not really work for this one. 2 farms operate this system with me.

good advice on this thread will be interesting :yes:

Some years ago i tackled a couple of the farmers who owned land I shoot over for written permission and was clearly told no. Once they give you something in writing they to become liable if there is an accident. All my shooting is with verbal permission with the exception of my my wildfowling club.

Gonna test the water on this one.... How many have actual written shooting permission, do you have just verbal and if there is problem just call the farmer?

Got to be honest I have have shot over a lot of ground over the last 20 years and never had anything other than a verbal permission,

Exclude FAC form this as it is a different matter for that.

i this day and age if you shoot without some form of written permission you are either desperate for the shooting and will take it anyway it comes and/or are taking chances, and anyone taking chances who carries a Shottie or Rifle,,,,,,

well you can guess my thought process :yes:

Edited by pavman

all my permissions are in writing, all in my name-even though i do take a freind once in a while, as mean as it sounds i won,t allow my mate to put his name on my permmission slips--you never know what happens if "freinds" fall out,

one farm i use to shoot on won,t give anybodt written permmission , its all verbal--due to a near accident when someone let rip with a shottie into a tree for a pigeon and a rambler was walking the other side of the hedge !!! said rambler immediatley called the police who put out the helicopter and a,r,v out to look for the "assasin" when the shooter was hauled into the police station the farmer denied all knowledge of him!! :oops: so bye-bye to s,g,c for the poor old shooter

so my rule of thumb is -if the farmer won,t sign anything---walk away and live to shoot another day ;)

shaun

ive had an fac for over 30 yrs and when i renew it always comes back with the words....any land with permission....since i have been doing fox control i keep getting asked by local land owners to control foxes, most of them have small shoots on them ,i have written permission on only one of them, all the rest just never seem to get round to it and after asking repeatedly i just give up, i am into farming myself and i know all of them but would any of you know if i am legal or not with the wording on my fac ?