is there anything you choose not to shoot?

pegleg31

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't shoot foxes, weasels, stoats and hares. Don't see any on my shooting land but wouldn't shoot jays either, don't see enough in my work in the field for me to think they are at pest proportions.

Same class as magpies for me sadly. Trapped and shot the same way because they do the same damage.

I don't shoot Irish Brown Hares. Although they are making a comeback around our way I have no interest in shooting one as there are plenty of bunnies to keep me occupied. I see a lot of people don't shoot Jays; they are the same family as magpies are they not and they cause as much havock as magpies also. There are not a lot of jays around our way either but I treat them the same way as magpies, which is usually no.7 shot.

No one is talking about not shooting 'out' by which I presume you mean 'anything.'

There is however a certain responsibility some people with guns feel, that not everything has to be shot, and its up to us to choose what needs culling and what needs protecting. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :good:

bang on, i get sick of people saying 'so do you just shoot anything that moves?'.

Agree about the big game too, same as bears in the US. they're fantastic animals and id always be reluctant to shoot anything i couldn't eat.

If I may ask, why no to the Magpies? They are strong in numbers, top of the food chain and thriving at the cost of all birds below them in the food chain.

I'm a bit superstitious when it comes to maggies, years ago an old boss of mine always used to salute magpies and I fell into the same habit. I've been fairly lucky in my life and whilst I'm not saying I owe it all to magpies, I'm not about to test the possibility.

Any of the large African game; Lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe etc. They always seem to be in danger and they're pretty fantastic beasts. I just don't see the attraction with paying £5k to shoot a bull elephant.

I agree waste of time and money and by the way TIGERS are Indian not African :)

Les :yes:

I would never shoot a cow. It's those dark limpid eyes and those long dark lashes ...... looking at me ......

That description sounds quite like a few old cows that I have met, and their husbands would no doubt be happy to have them shot!

Interesting, not much doubt Hare tops the list of not to shoot!

Some interesting other comments and just shows the variation of attitude and circumstances.

The one that surprises me most is Magpie, I think I am right in saying that whether is be pest control or "sport" my landowners universally want rid of Magpies!!

ATB!!

Interesting, not much doubt Hare tops the list of not to shoot!

Some interesting other comments and just shows the variation of attitude and circumstances.

The one that surprises me most is Magpie, I think I am right in saying that whether is be pest control or "sport" my landowners universally want rid of Magpies!!

ATB!!

I think it's just me that doesn't shoot them, I'm just odd I guess :)

I think it's just me that doesn't shoot them, I'm just odd I guess :)

i would'nt say odd it's what you choose.personally i would'nt think twice about shooting a magpie :yes:

it's nice to see that we're not all cold hearted killer's as alot of the public perceive us to be

Any of the large African game; Lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe etc. They always seem to be in danger and they're pretty fantastic beasts. I just don't see the attraction with paying £5k to shoot a bull elephant.

Even if it was free it's simply disgusting. I, and I believe most of us here, shoot to control pests and for the pot - or the odd farmed pheasant as a sporting source of meat - to help songbirds and protect crops.

Shooting a Lion or Elephant etc is just a trophy kill to account for small manhood.

I think I'm about opposite most of the guys here. I shoot hares as needed. We have a lot and I've shot a lot to get the numbers down a bit. I don't shoot them as much right now because the numbers are good, but if an opportunity presented while I was out anyway, I probably wouldn't turn it down.

I don't shoot deer. There are a few around and there is plenty of paid shooting available. I've shot tons of deer in the past and love to deer hunt. However, my wife doesn't eat venison and I don't go through it fast enough. So to that end, I don't shoot deer because I don't have the ability to use the meat well enough, aside from feeding the dogs.

I don't shoot partridge but maybe one or two a year (that I'll shoot AT). There aren't many and the ones we have are locals. They live in the couple fields that I shoot year round. So rather than shoot them, I use them for dog training because I can be confident that they are around.

There isn't much else that I won't shoot. I've passed on porcupines in the past because it wasn't bothering me or the dogs. A lot of guys shoot them on site, but I don't. Same with snakes. I don't shoot snakes unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Rick

i shoot what the farmer asks me to shoot. i leave the stoats and weasels as i think they are fascinating litlle things and the keepers trap plenty of them!

hares are a must on my permissions as there are so many, and they taste great.

i dont have the problem of meat going to waste as my whole family, parents, aunts uncles grans and many non shooting friends all eat every meat i put infront of them.

i would never shoot lions tigers elephants etc, i would much rather go and shoot them with a camera as i think they are amazing animals

Shooting a Lion or Elephant etc is just a trophy kill to account for small manhood.

its a different sport altogether and one which isn't just trophy hunting, look at what is happening in some parts of Africa where elephants aren't controlled. They are doing so well they are killing the game reserves as they kill trees in large numbers, a certain amount of hunting is needed to control numbers which in turn puts money into the local economy and the meat is usually given to local villages. Lions again its not something we understand but they eat the locals and their livestock so blanket bans don't work as the locals take matters into their own hands, however when they are a valuable resource they last far longer, as ever shooting and conservation go hand in hand.

Personally in the UK there isn't much I won't shoot but in the correct circumstances. I've shot a lot of hares this year on two farms and none on another where there aren't enough conversely that farm without enough hares we do shoot a few English partridges as there are a lot and otherwise they'd die of old age! Magpies and Jays are shot on sight same with foxes, so really can't think of any legal quarry I wouldn't shoot but vermin excluded it depends on where they are and what numbers as to whether I will.

Even if it was free it's simply disgusting. I, and I believe most of us here, shoot to control pests and for the pot - or the odd farmed pheasant as a sporting source of meat - to help songbirds and protect crops.

You really need to get yourself better informed...........