Selling a Shotgun

jamer

Hi all ,

My neighbour is looking to sell one of his Shotguns and although he has visited a few dealers they wont offer the price he was expecting :( He doesn't own a Computer so I thought I might offer to advertise it on his behalf .

I take it that it has to be a ' face to face ' purchase and does the buyer just produce his Shotgun Certificate to the seller ?

or is it only possible to sell through a dealer.

thanks '

Yes you can sell privately.

you both show your certs to eachother and then both sign a piece of paper (2 copies) which has all the relevant information on it and must be sent to your local firearms dept to show a transfer/sale/purchase has taken place.

Hi all ,

My neighbour is looking to sell one of his Shotguns and although he has visited a few dealers they wont offer the price he was expecting :( He doesn't own a Computer so I thought I might offer to advertise it on his behalf .

I take it that it has to be a ' face to face ' purchase and does the buyer just produce his Shotgun Certificate to the seller ?

or is it only possible to sell through a dealer.

thanks '

Face to face is easier, to sell through dealer means costs.

Whats he selling? what did they offer compared to what he expected? Some very knowledgable people to give you a valuation on here!

Edd

Dealers will take about 15% on a commision sale the seller fills in buyers cert and both advise there FLO of transaction making notes of address etc on paperwork if concerned get neighbour to phone FLO forconfirmation.

Edited by HDAV

A lot of dealers are strapped for cash at the moment and will only offer silly money unless its a trade in against a new gun. They just don't want any more guns on their shelves gathering dust. A private sale is the way to go.

Edited by Vince Green

A lot of dealers are strapped for cash at the moment and will only offer silly money unless its a trade in against a new gun. They just don't want any more guns on their shelves gathering dust. A private sale is the way to go.

yes the trade are treading carefull,my shooting buddy bought a dt10 black action fitasc and to get the best price on his old gun a very nice peraz has let them take it on a commision basis,

the best thing to do is look at the gun on gun trader take into consideration what the trade has offered and how quick you want to sell it,remember when you sell it to do the paper work properly on the sellers and vendors licenses and inform the police of the sale,forms can normally be down loaded from your local police force

good luck

do the paper work properly on the sellers and vendors licenses

Seller and Vendor are the same thing, I didn't think the seller had anything written on their licence, the seller just has to fill in the buyers licence with the gun details.

Seller and Vendor are the same thing, I didn't think the seller had anything written on their licence, the seller just has to fill in the buyers licence with the gun details.

You certainly are right colster, the seller writes the info onto the buyers SGC, signs on the dotted line and you are away.

Both parties need to inform the fuzz of the transaction, after that, Bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt. :(

You certainly are right colster, the seller writes the info onto the buyers SGC, signs on the dotted line and you are away.

Both parties need to inform the fuzz of the transaction, after that, Bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt. :good:

In 7 days MAX!! :look: :hmm:

Never had an uncle called Bob, or an Aunt called Fanny...somehow I feel deprived!! :):yes: :o

In 7 days MAX!! :good: :look:

Never had an uncle called Bob, or an Aunt called Fanny...somehow I feel deprived!! :o :):hmm:

My mate "forgot" too send his letter to the police and got into major bother... got summoned at his work and questioned under caution...

luckily he got away with it... but they took his firearms licence off him for it

just out of curiosity if the buyer of a shotgun didnt inform the police of the purchase untill a few months down the line ,what consequences could be exspected?

Who knows, but no part of it would be good.

IF you got the wrong region and the wrong FEO on the wrong day you could well kiss your SGC goodbye!

Edited by Dekers

just out of curiosity if the buyer of a shotgun didnt inform the police of the purchase untill a few months down the line ,what consequences could be exspected?

I think you could expect a serious botty spanking.Worst case scenario you could have your certificate revoked and a fine possibly.

All the Police want is for guns to be legally registered onto anyones cert.This way they shouldnt fall into criminals hands.

• 9 years later...
5 hours ago, Newbie Dooby Doo said:

Hi,

A relative of mine has been clearing her loft and found an old shotgun and cartridges. She says it might be worth a few quid, but clearly has no license for it.

Can she still somehow get something for it, or does she just call the police and give it to them ?

Thanks

She could get a local registered firearms dealer to come and take charge of it.  That way it can be booked in and sold. If it goes to the police it will be destroyed.

I was told that in this situation anyone could put it on their certificate, inform the police as normal when obtaining a gun and it would be acceptable on the basis that the gun is now registered. No recrimination would come of the person originally 'finding' it.

Information obtained from two very reliable sources.

OB

We had an old boy in the village who did the local hedges, house clearances and other bits. From time to time he came across a gun in a barn. They just went to the local firearms dealer who logged them as deceased estate and dealt with them. He never had anything decent mind. He also had a shotgun certificate of his own.

58 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

We had an old boy in the village who did the local hedges, house clearances and other bits. From time to time he came across a gun in a barn. They just went to the local firearms dealer who logged them as deceased estate and dealt with them. He never had anything decent mind. He also had a shotgun certificate of his own.

Things have changed since the thread was started 10 years ago 😊👍

auction house is another option 

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I was told that in this situation anyone could put it on their certificate, inform the police as normal when obtaining a gun and it would be acceptable on the basis that the gun is now registered. No recrimination would come of the person originally 'finding' it.

Information obtained from two very reliable sources.

OB

Yes, I’ve done this, although it has to be done through a RFD. You pay him whatever amount you negotiate, for him to put it in his register, and then your ticket, as sold or given. You then inform the rozzers. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes, I’ve done this, although it has to be done through a RFD. You pay him whatever amount you negotiate, for him to put it in his register, and then your ticket, as sold or given. You then inform the rozzers. 

Many thanks for clarifying that Scully. 

OB