Andy McNab books

ME

ME Junior (10 years) wants to read a military / war type book. A friend has suggested an Andy McNab book.

These books are off my radar as I believe that they don't have many glossy wipe clean photos or a readers wives section.

Can someone tell me if the Andy McNab books would be OK for him. He is a bright mature lad, comes lamping and plays Call of Duty - so he isn't squeamish or easily scared.

What say you PW bookworms / wannabe marines?

Personally I'd steer clear of all the 'special forces' type books. They seldom live up to there hype.

Plenty of other stuff about.

Try 'Eight lives down' by Chris Hunter. It's a cracking read about a guy doing bomb disposal in Iraq. Some tense situations and interesting stuff......no abseiling onto balconies though <_<

Personally I'd steer clear of all the 'special forces' type books. They seldom live up to there hype.

Try 'Eight lives down' by Chris Hunter. It's a cracking read about a guy doing bomb disposal in Iraq. Some tense situations and interesting stuff......no abseiling onto balconies though <_<

Just finished 8 live's down - brilliant, loved some of the quotes ....

more noise than a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin!!

more time off than Clint Eastwoods safety catch!

Very good read :good:

I quite like the books by Andy mcnab, got a few on audiobook too, though the ones he co wrote, when I listened to that it was no where near as good as his solo efforts

8 lives down, 3 para, ones about the apachi pilots and a few sniper ones and few others I listen too have been good, prefer audiobooks as I listen when driving

Chris Ryans The One That Got Away is a good read.

One of the best books i have ever read is Legionnaire by Simon Murray.A true account of his time in the Foreign Legion and absolutely brutal at times.Cant recommend it highly enough and a must have if interested in military history.

Get in touch with Michael Yahtze and get a copy of his memoirs :good:

Truly unbelievable stuff :yes:

Unbelievable indeed. :yp:

A proper war hero who tells it how it is, with just a little amateur psychology thrown in to the mix.

I might be wrong but I heard he got a super-injunction to stop anyone revealing his true identity :hmm:

Unlike Andy McNab and co. he doesn't court publicity. A true man of mystery :yes:

On the bright side, if he doesnt like McNab's books, he can use them to grow some lovely roses.

Is that because of all the bull ****? :hmm: One i have just read (fathers day present) is PEGASUS BRIDGE by Stephen E Ambrose, maybe a bit dry because it is not fiction but a bloody good read. :good:

Top read - It's sequel Extreme Risk is another good read :good:

He could try...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blind-Misfortune-Story-Courage-Adversity/dp/0850526027

and if its not his cup of tea its a great bedside book.

I have had dinner on a few occasions with the Author and his Wife (and am the proud owner of 2 signed books to me, signed using his wooden hand (which i am convinced is the original one made) with his wife steadying the pen)